NAS/Server build

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been researching and considering a server/NAS build for a while. Before that, my plan was to stick some large hard disks in my desktop, present the raw disks to a VirtualBox Linux guest, and let that do mdraid on them, sharing the resultant volume with the host. I've done that before and it was...moderately reliable.

Then recently I came across some glowing reviews for products from companies like Synology and QNAP. What really got my attention is how the high-end models are multi-purpose. The high-end Synology units have enough horse-power to do 1080p transcoding and streaming, and the QNAP devices can double as media centers. Once you start looking at home products above 4 bays, though, the CPU horsepower starts going down and the price starts going up. So I was curious what I could do if I built myself, and here's what I came up with - and there are any number of articles describing similar setups:

DS380B - Mini ITX NAS case that holds up to 8 HDDs in hot swap cages - $150
ASRock C2750D4I - Server motherboard with a built-in octocore Atom, ECC, and 12 SATA ports - $400
ST30SF 300W PSU - I'm told this model spins down to passive when not under load - $50
Crucial 16 GB (8GBx2) ECC DDR3 - I've heard reports of compatibility with that motherboard - $180
6 TB WD Red HDDs - $300 ea. Might go smaller, we'll see.

So $780 or so diskless. Price competitive with some of the high end 4- or 5-bay Synology and QNAP offerings, but with more bays. I'd be using it for server duties and NAS duties. For instance, I want to take a second crack at virtualizing WMC now that all my tuners are network tuners anyway. Tried it once on my desktop but had network issues playing back to the extender.

Reviews say that a system like this idles around 50 watts (probably diskless). Not bad for something that can supposedly do two real-time 1080p transcode jobs at once. What do you guys think? I don't need something with serious oomph - I have my desktop for that - but I don't want something that will choke on file serving duties or WMC duties.

If I do go this route, what do you guys recommend for software/OS? I'm quite familiar with mdraid, but open to learning new things. I only require that whatever I use is open enough that I can run arbitrary VMs on it.

I'd go for an i3/xeon with ecc support and add in an 8 port SAS hba instead of the atom. Lot more processing power for some of the other things you want to do.

Did a similar setup this spring been working great once I got everything up and going. I had some initial issues with getting the machine to post. I believe the reason for that was memory wasn't getting fully seated into the socket. Put it in and out a few times and then it just started working. Running FreeNAS with Plex and couple other plugins.

My Configuration
Drives: 5x 3 TB Western Digital Red Drives
Memory: 16 GB Cruical ECC
Motherboard: ASRock C2750D4I
Case: LIAN LI PC-Q25B

Im looking at the basically the exact same setup except for using my 3x3TB WD Reds with plans to add another 3.

RaidZ2 in freeNAS. Plex for transcoding and dlna. Hopefully a few other plugins.

I've been going back and forth between the C2750D4I and the E3C226D2I+Xeon E3-1220 V3. Pretty close in price. Would I actually need the extra processing power at the cost of higher TDP?

Keep us posted if you go with that setup.

I've been researching and considering a server/NAS build for a while. Before that, my plan was to stick some large hard disks in my desktop, present the raw disks to a VirtualBox Linux guest, and let that do mdraid on them, sharing the resultant volume with the host. I've done that before and it was...moderately reliable.

DS380B - Mini ITX NAS case that holds up to 8 HDDs in hot swap cages - $150
ASRock C2750D4I - Server motherboard with a built-in octocore Atom, ECC, and 12 SATA ports - $400
ST30SF 300W PSU - I'm told this model spins down to passive when not under load - $50
Crucial 16 GB (8GBx2) ECC DDR3 - I've heard reports of compatibility with that motherboard - $180
6 TB WD Red HDDs - $300 ea. Might go smaller, we'll see.

Reviews say that a system like this idles around 50 watts (probably diskless). Not bad for something that can supposedly do two real-time 1080p transcode jobs at once. What do you guys think? I don't need something with serious oomph - I have my desktop for that - but I don't want something that will choke on file serving duties or WMC duties.

If I do go this route, what do you guys recommend for software/OS? I'm quite familiar with mdraid, but open to learning new things. I only require that whatever I use is open enough that I can run arbitrary VMs on it.

do not count on idle only, when the system is crunching with ZFS and other tasks, those "Watts" will be relatively counted.

I am rebuilding my old back-upserver from dual cpu L5420 with 16G FBDIMM (power hunger, but good for winter as a heater). the idle was more than 100W without HDs
I picked supermicro (6 SATA 3 connectors) LGA1156 with heatsink for $35 and I3 530 for $20 since already collected DDR3 last 2 years when the price was very low :D. 4X4 ECC unbuffer DDR3.
actually still have more non ECC unbuff 4X4 still in the package and some sodimm DDR3 too.

Tested with LGA1156+i3 530+ 6 fans + dell H200 HBD + SAS Expander. Total is 60-65 Watts during idle :D with 3 HDDs for testing.
But i3 530 still has a lot of computing power than current 8 cores atom as you posted.

if you need a small NAS/Server case , your solution is perfect.
if you need a regular NAS/Server case, LGA1555/LGA1550(or LGA1556 for saving $$$ with used server motherboard) i3 will has more power computing and idle wattage would be minimal compare with 8 cores Atom board.

one thing important, IPMI is required for make our life easier. I believe C2750D4I has IPMI.
just my humble suggestion.

Thank you all for your feedback. Last night I found the FreeNAS forums, which have a hardware recommendation section. I am now considering this combo:

Fractal Design Node 804 - takes MicroATX motherboards, 8+ 3.5" drives, but no hot swap - $110
SuperMicro X10SL7-F-O - 1150 server motherboard, still with lots of SATA ports - $250
Xeon E3-1231 - $257
Same Crucial 16GB ECC DDR3 - from what I understand it's a rebadged version of something on the compatibility list - $180
Corsair 450W PSU - modular, 80Plus Gold certification - $70 ($50 after MIR until 11/3)
And Reds again for the array

Comes to $847 diskless, not bad for the extra horsepower. Not much worse on power consumption either from what I've read.

The bigger this build gets, though, the more I wonder - would I be better off just re-purposing my current desktop hardware when I replace it? I currently have a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R and a 980X. The thing I dislike most about this idea is that it would be more than double the idle wattage.

Im looking at the basically the exact same setup except for using my 3x3TB WD Reds with plans to add another 3.

RaidZ2 in freeNAS. Plex for transcoding and dlna. Hopefully a few other plugins.

I've been going back and forth between the C2750D4I and the E3C226D2I+Xeon E3-1220 V3. Pretty close in price. Would I actually need the extra processing power at the cost of higher TDP?

Keep us posted if you go with that setup.
How many streams do you plan to transcode? From what I understand the Atom can handle two simultaneous transcoding streams just fine.

Thank you all for your feedback. Last night I found the FreeNAS forums, which have a hardware recommendation section. I am now considering this combo:

Fractal Design Node 804 - takes MicroATX motherboards, 8+ 3.5" drives, but no hot swap - $110
SuperMicro X10SL7-F-O - 1150 server motherboard, still with lots of SATA ports - $250
Xeon E3-1231 - $257
Same Crucial 16GB ECC DDR3 - from what I understand it's a rebadged version of something on the compatibility list - $180
Corsair 450W PSU - modular, 80Plus Gold certification - $70 ($50 after MIR until 11/3)

Comes to $847 diskless, not bad for the extra horsepower. Not much worse on power consumption either from what I've read.

The bigger this build gets, though, the more I wonder - would I be better off just re-purposing my current desktop hardware when I replace it? I currently have a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R and a 980X. The thing I dislike most about this idea is that it would be more than double the idle wattage.

How many streams do you plan to transcode? From what I understand the Atom can handle two simultaneous transcoding streams just fine.

I would rep-purpose. You could use that box to do NAS/Server duty as well as video monitoring/surveillance. Save a lot of $ now since you have it already, and then upgrade in a few years after you find out what you REALLLY use the box for the most :) 50 to 150w more per-month isn't bad to save a huge chunk

Your motherboard doesnt support ECC ram which is highly recommended with anything that uses ZFS such as freeNAS.

Probably two at the moment. The kids arent quite old enough to get plex going on tablets, but I want to be ready when that time comes, and future-proofing. I still keep going back and forth, leaning towards E3C226D2I+Xeon E3-1231 V3 at the moment. Going to pull the trigger soon, the ole e8500 isnt cutting it.

Your motherboard doesnt support ECC ram which is highly recommended with anything that uses ZFS such as freeNAS.

ZFS data security is far ahead of any other filesystem (they just do not have data checksums and cannot detect any corruptions). So ZFS is a preferred filesystem independent from ECC.

What you can say is:
ZFS (like most modern OS) use all free RAM for disk read-caching where any undetected RAM error can cause data curruption.

ZFS data security is far ahead of any other filesystem (they just do not have data checksums and cannot detect any corruptions). So ZFS is a preferred filesystem independent from ECC.

What you can say is:
ZFS (like most modern OS) use all free RAM for disk read-caching where any undetected RAM error can cause data curruption.

ecc is recomended!! :D

on linux side, BTRFS is officially READY for RAID0/1 functionality + with ZFS functions alike.:D

I am using BTRFS, since already supported on CentOS 7...
BUT...
still using ZoL for RaidZ2 for data storage..10X2T drive.

Like you can say is:
ECC is recommended, NOT a must.

Xeon E3-1231 - $257

my suggestion:
3bay....
buy used server with intel sandy or ivy bridge, well ecc is better than nothing.

last time I check, as an example http://www.ebay.com/itm/291269538074

search on 24 bays or 16 bays server(supermicro). you need minimal to get motherboard that support i3 with ecc....

you will save a ton of money....
other thing, search on the detail to include PSU with 80+ gold which suitable for home-user. abit loud but ok... 900W 80+gold or 1200W 80+ gold... the fan spins very low RPM since not much load...

good luck!

just FYI,
since I am rebuilding my old L5410 to I5 LGA1556....save much power for 24/7 but less $$ for upgrade. all parts come for 3bay..

sorry this is external link, some user posted very good deal on this
h t t p://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?forums/great-deals.8/

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you have looked into Synology I am sure you have seen their OS, DSM 5.0 - seen here: https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm

A lot of people love it and it's what had me leaning towards Synology in the first place. There is now a version that you can install on your own system http://xpenology.com/forum/

Probably less documentation than the FreeNAS but the community seems to be growing for sure.

I am going with the Node 304 for my build and an i5-4570. I am keeping the storage fairly small at 4x 2TB WD Red's being I am a photographer and the bulk of my storage and backup will be photographs. I have a handful of movies that I will keep in the media center. Usually after I watch them I remove them unless they are really good films.

Let us know how you make out!

Back