• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

NAS recommendation

Scootel2

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 25, 2007
Messages
123
Should I purchase a NAS or just build a PC and use it as a NAS? Any suggestions
 
What do you want to achieve with said NAS? How much were you wanting to spend?
 
Basically a safe location to store my files. I really dont need more then a few terabytes at the moment.
 
If you just want to store files then a less expensive Raid 1 or 5 2 to 4 disc sata enclosure should do fine. It will save you a lot of cash.
 
Synology.

If you just need a few TBs, I don't think there's any point building from scratch.

Synology managament software is great as well.
 
Hey Scootel,

I for one would recommend you build your own NAS. Have you looked at UnRAID by limetechnology? They have some similar functions as the Drobo which allows you to mix and match drive to expand your storage capabilities when the price of drives becomes cheaper.

This is just my 2cents.

Cheers
Jinx
 
I suggest win home server. Easy, cheap and you dont need any elaborate setup. I have a power and network cable to it. It has all my shared data and backs up the pc's in the house as well. I saw the OS for like $50 the other day so if you have your standard backup pc lying around, you should be good to go.
 
there's a few ways you could go. my advice is plan for the future. i would either build a cheap whs server or get an external 4bay usb exclosure. i have both and both serve their own purposes. the whs can do much more than just store files. the usb enclosure is great for making sure you have another copy somewhere. if youre keeping working copies of your files on your system, you can use a usb hd enclosure to store copies. if youre wanting to store the files in one location with some sort of redundancy i would go for the whs.
 
Back
Top