NAS Question

Hi, this is what i'm looking for:

For use of large amounts of music, games, videos, etc.
Quiet, power efficient, and something that can be accessed easily.

I have a few questions..

I hear most decent NAS systems allow for FTP? How good in quality is this? Could I maybe stream a video from my HDD? Transfer files with decent speeds? I'd assume it's bandwidth speed dependent.

Another question is, how much do NAS typically cost? I know with the Thailand flood it has raised the amount asked substantially, but before the flood.. were they always $200+?

Hi, this is what i'm looking for:

For use of large amounts of music, games, videos, etc.
Quiet, power efficient, and something that can be accessed easily.
You need to decide on other factors, like budget, how much space are going to need and do plan on buying all at once or do you wish to just continue adding hdds as times goes by. There are very simple solutions like prebuild from Synology/Qnap/Thecus, depending on your budget and needs you might find something that interest you, or you can build your own.

I hear most decent NAS systems allow for FTP? How good in quality is this? Could I maybe stream a video from my HDD? Transfer files with decent speeds? I'd assume it's bandwidth speed dependent.
Really depends on how much bandwidth you will need, a uncompressed 1080p video needs a little below 10mg/s, i contently get spikes over 7 mg/s on my gigabit lan, to have that bandwidth on your internet connection is expensive but can be done, just not practical. You can rip the videos and compress them really hard to have less need of bandwith at the expense of image quality, but again will depend on both ends of the interenet connection. Internally the hdds should be more than enough, its more the speed of you connections that will limit you.

Another question is, how much do NAS typically cost? I know with the Thailand flood it has raised the amount asked substantially, but before the flood.. were they always $200+?
There are very cheap solutions as there are very expensive, the thing that its the most expensive atm is hdds due to the flooding, but you can build a server that you can grow on, for example an unraid server will allow you to use unmatched hdds and continue adding hdds as you grow your server, so you could start with a couple of hdds and as prices go down and your need increases you could start growing your server.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm just going to decide on getting about 6 TB of space internally vs. a NAS drive. It's cheaper, faster, and more suited to what I'm looking for. Thanks again.

Back