NAS on University Network?

diggƒreak

Limp Gawd
I currently run a laptop and two desktops on a switch on my university network.
All three are being assigned unique public IPs, as my university is it's own ISP.

I'd like to backup the contents of all three incrementally to NAS.

If I plug my NAS into my switch, I believe it will receive a public IP address.

How can I prevent anyone in the world from accessing my "public NAS"?

Would buying a router fix the problem?

if everything you plug into the network is considered public like an ISP, then you should be able to do what everyone else does from their ISP, use a router and it will offer a NAT which will make your own private network for your gear.

Are you allowed to have your own router? If not your only other option is to try and lock the security settings down.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

how are you accessing the NAS is the most important question. also, what OS is it running? proprietary bullshit?

A router would solve your issue, but one word of caution: make sure you are allowed to run such devices on your University's network. I know at mine there is a clause in the networking terms of service that forbids us from "extending the network" (i.e: using switches, routers, and hubs) and they do active checks for hardware that is undesirable (like wireless routers).

If you dont/cant use a router, even a crappy NAS should still have some sort of basic security available like a username and password. Lock that down and you should be fine; your University's firewall should take care of access from outside the network if the networking department is doing their job.

-Cool-

I'd just password it, that way I could use it anywhere on campus without too much hassle. Then create a script that mounts the share such as

net use x: //computer name/ password username /persistent no

Put it in your startup folder and you are golden.

Back