NAS Link Aggregation on home network?

CyberKP4

n00b
I'm wanting to pick up an NAS that will be used for a small home based graphic design company. They will need to access it from the road and I'd possibly like to setup our own webhosting.

My plan is currently to get a Synology DS1512+ and some WD Red drives. After looking at the site, I noticed that you are limited to about 100 MB/s unless you enable trunking (link aggregation) on your network. I can't find any home routers that do this.

Do I need to incorporate a switch in the mix to get the 200 MB/s speeds or is it not really possible?

Any recommendations on changes or how to set this up for max performance?

I'm also wanting to get a new router.

You do need a smart switch if you use LACP. Its actually doesn't work that way. You will have 100mb/s no matter what, what in reality will happen is that you will be able to send out to more clients while sustaining that 100mb/s transfers. It would be possible to maybe get 200mb but for that you need your client to handle lacp as well.

and in most cases your NAS/disks will limit you before the network will with a small group of users.

What are you doing now that saturates a gigabit requirement?
"Access from on the road" makes it even less of a compelling argument to buy more equipment that will satisfy LACP.

Also depends on the RAID configuration to max out two gigabit aggregated links.

Back