• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

NAS Hardware

John G.

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 28, 2005
Messages
163
Hey guys, I'm planning on getting a storage enclosure and sticking a few hard drives in there. I'm most interested in this guy:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=133000

So at this point, I'm looking for a way to attach it to my LAN without dedicating a whole computer to the task. I've found the following products:
LinkSys Network Storage Link
D-Link DI-624S USB Storage Router

Does anyone have any experiences with these products? Or have any suggestions on where else or what else I should look at?
 
TechLarry said:
If you are looking for one that does just about every server duty there is, check out this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822107002

Note - Documentation is deplorable. Hardware is very nice. Linux based.

-Larry

At that cost wouldn't it just be cheaper to build your own system? I'm pricing out some systems for a potential HA fileserver cluster and it looks like its going to cost about $290 for 4 sata ports + dual gbit and all the other basics. it'd be a bit bulkier but I'm betting that it's going to be a lot faster. Plus for a bit extra you could put in a decent video card and make it a general purpose system...
 
hokatichenci said:
At that cost wouldn't it just be cheaper to build your own system? I'm pricing out some systems for a potential HA fileserver cluster and it looks like its going to cost about $290 for 4 sata ports + dual gbit and all the other basics. it'd be a bit bulkier but I'm betting that it's going to be a lot faster. Plus for a bit extra you could put in a decent video card and make it a general purpose system...

Yes I think it's a bit expensive to get into that territory when you can DIY for cheap.
Check out Foxconn 925XE7AA-8EKRS2 , LGA 775, 925XE chipset, 8 SATA ports, 2x GigE ports, all for $100 :)
Plus Newegg has a $20 rebate on them right now too!
 
Yeah these NAS's that are offered better be fire proof for all the money they cost and for what little they do.
 
Back
Top