emieldegroot
n00b
- Joined
- Mar 4, 2012
- Messages
- 6
I am confused buying the 'right' HDD for my new server / nas. I am looking for five or six 3tb devices:
5200 RPM:
Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 or Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001
The Seagate cost less (€20-€40 per unit) but is there a significant difference between those two?
7200 RPM
I can buy second hand Seagate Barracuda XT (3 unites) and Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 (3 units) for the same price as 6x Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001(new). But what about preformance when i mix different types of HDD's. Is this possible in ZFS and will it downgrade my speed? Then again, maybe 7200 is too much for a server and i should stick with 5200.
To give some background information of my (planned) server
The server will run esxi (ZFSguru for ZFS with sabnzbd, sickbeard; 4 VM's and a musicserver (logitech squeezebox). I am stuck with mITX (space issue). I was thinking of the following components:
Intel Desktop Board DQ67EPB3
Intel Core i5 2500
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B
16gb: GeIL Black Dragon GB316GB1333C9DC
Crucial m4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB
IBM M1015 (IT firmware)
be quiet! Straight Power E9 400W (Gold)
Lian Li PC-Q25B
I also have another question: i can buy 2x agility OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 120 GB (run as raid 0) for the same price as 1x Crucial m4. Should i go for the Agility 3 instead of M4?
5200 RPM:
Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 or Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001
The Seagate cost less (€20-€40 per unit) but is there a significant difference between those two?
7200 RPM
I can buy second hand Seagate Barracuda XT (3 unites) and Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 (3 units) for the same price as 6x Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001(new). But what about preformance when i mix different types of HDD's. Is this possible in ZFS and will it downgrade my speed? Then again, maybe 7200 is too much for a server and i should stick with 5200.
To give some background information of my (planned) server
The server will run esxi (ZFSguru for ZFS with sabnzbd, sickbeard; 4 VM's and a musicserver (logitech squeezebox). I am stuck with mITX (space issue). I was thinking of the following components:
Intel Desktop Board DQ67EPB3
Intel Core i5 2500
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B
16gb: GeIL Black Dragon GB316GB1333C9DC
Crucial m4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB
IBM M1015 (IT firmware)
be quiet! Straight Power E9 400W (Gold)
Lian Li PC-Q25B
I also have another question: i can buy 2x agility OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 120 GB (run as raid 0) for the same price as 1x Crucial m4. Should i go for the Agility 3 instead of M4?