Nanosatellite To Clear Dangerous Debris From Space

HardOCP News

[H] News
Other than the fact that this is a sorely needed invention, the only reason I posted this article is so I could make a stupid vacuum cleaner joke. Get it? Cleaning the vacuum? That was it. kthxbye.

New UK technology unveiled on March 26 is set to play a major part in clearing dangerous clouds of debris hurtling around the Earth's lower orbit. More than 5,500 tonnes of debris is believed to be cluttering space around the planet as a result of 50 years of abandoning spacecraft, leading to a threat of collision to any manned or unmanned spacecraft.

I don't think the satellite or sail is supposed to clean existing debris, just reduce and limit introduction of new debris into space. We should get a rocket or shuttle to trawl a large net and bring the stuff back down to earth for some expensive recycling. I'm sure there are many tons of valuable metals floating out there.

I don't think the satellite or sail is supposed to clean existing debris, just reduce and limit introduction of new debris into space. We should get a rocket or shuttle to trawl a large net and bring the stuff back down to earth for some expensive recycling. I'm sure there are many tons of valuable metals floating out there.

What would you have the net made of? If you have a micrometeorite traveling at a few thousand meters per second it will just go through it.

Steve's vacuum cleaner joke!!

megamaid-spaceballs.jpg

Back