nanoHUB@Home

RFGuy_KCCO

DCOTM x4, [H]ard|DCer of the Year 2019
New BOINC project located here: https://boinc.nanohub.org/nanoHUB_at_home/

nanoHUB is a research project, based at nanoHUB.org, that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in nanoscience and nanotechnology. You can contribute to our research by running a free program on your computer.

1) It's a VirtualBox project and each WU requires ~2GB of memory.

2) WU's are labeled as multi-threaded, but actually only use one thread per WU.

3) The WU’s should each take less than 10 minutes to complete (usually more like 2-3 minutes each), but I find they often get “stuck” and never finish until they timeout and end with an error after four hours. If I happen to find these tasks running past 30 minutes, or so, I abort them. I’d say the failure rate is currently close to 50%, unfortunately. This has improved since they started sending work, though, so may (hopefully) continue to get better.

Edit 1/31/19: Changed failure rate in #3 above from 10% to 50%, as I was foolishly only taking into account the percent of tasks I was manually Aborting and not counting those that completed normally but failed to validate.

Last edited:
I'm using app_config to limit the number of tasks to prevent memory issue. RAM prices are trending down but still high, in my opinion.

<app_config>
<app>
<name>boinc2docker</name>
<max_concurrent>8</max_concurrent>
</app>
</app_config>

Edit: Can't run many tasks with spinner. I got one setup but it slows down everything, like opening up an excel.

Back