Nano or 30gb 5th?

Well, im ready to buy an Ipod now. Since those ebay coupons came out, ill just purchase it on ebay. Im not a noob to ebay and i know what to check out about the seller before buying. Im still debating whether to get a 30gb Video or a 4gb Nano. 4gb is enough for me... for now... i think. I could always use the extra space on the 30gb and videos are always a plus. What are the cons and pros of each one? Will probably make the purchase tonight or tomorrow night.

I just ordered a 60gb 5th gen. My 4th gen 40 is over 75% full. The 60 is only about $100 more than the 30 and you get double the storage.

Also, my mom has my old iMac G4 and she has been thinking about getting an ipod. Since the new pods don't support firewire, and the old iMac doesn't have usb 2, I thought she would get better use out of it than one of the new models. Of course, my having that new color screen is just an unintended by product of the whole process. ;-)

If anyone believes that last I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to sell too!

Orc

If its any help. I have all my CD's stored in iTunes. They are ripped at 320Kbps MP3. 300 full length albums, and its only about 40GB. So if its just for music, that maybe something to consider. Video...ya that may need more.

It depends.

Do you want to carry all of your music or only 4GB at a time?

Will you be using it to excersise, work out, or jog with? The nano has flash memory, so bumping it around will not hurt it.

I went for the 30GB iPod 5G, and my girlfriend will be getting the 4GB nano, we both use them for different things.

I have a 30 GB and it starts skipping after a while when I'm running. So, I'll be getting a Nano for exercise and outdoors stuff. I'll keep the other Ipod for my car and when I go on trips so I'll have most of my music on it.

Pros and cons are really simple:

Nano = small
Video = big

Do you want small or do you want big?

matt fury said:
Pros and cons are really simple:

Nano = small
Video = big

Do you want small or do you want big?

I actually got my 60gb yesterday. It is definitely bigger than the nano, but compared to my first 20gb 2nd gen it feels tiny and almost wightless.

Orcish

Orcish said:
I actually got my 60gb yesterday. It is definitely bigger than the nano, but compared to my first 20gb 2nd gen it feels tiny and almost wightless.

Orcish

Yeah, kinda gross, huh? I have a 10gb 2nd gen and it's like a brick compared to the new ones.

Anyway, the big/small thing isn't just about size though. Nano = smaller price, size and capacity. 5th gen = bigger yadda yadda yadda.

Disco_Stu_04 said:
I have a 30 GB and it starts skipping after a while when I'm running. So, I'll be getting a Nano for exercise and outdoors stuff. I'll keep the other Ipod for my car and when I go on trips so I'll have most of my music on it.

I've always wanted to know if the HDD based models skip during exercise. Thanks for answering the question I've never asked. :D

Guess its the Nano for me. I really wish I knew if a 6GB+ model is being released early next year :/

Damn, you people aren't making this any easier! Although I don't see any reason to get a mini over a Nano.

i just bought my G/F a 30 gig video and its really nice. im considering trading up to one from the one i bought before christmas last year. it just depends what your main use will be. cars and flying or exercise.

Now guys, don't knock down 2nd gen... that's almost the most old-school shit around... except for 1st gens. I keep my 2g 10gig running despite near-death battles.

OP: what do you wanna use it for?

A. Bringing all your music to a party, having any song which pops up on your mind ready in your pockets, watching your pr0... home videos on the go?
= 30/60 gig . I'd go with 60, much better battery and 2x capacity for a mere $100

B. Jogging, gym workout, action from the girls for that sexy player, just your favorite songs in a package small enough to put in places they've never been (e.g. your wallet :))
=Nano. 4gig definitly. Can't justify saving $50 on 2gb less.

I bought the Nano 4Gb (black) as soon as it was released and love it!

Saying that... when the 5th Gen came out it was everything I'd hoped for, and now, having seen a 60Gb (white) and a 30Gb (black) I would highly recommend that you go for a 30Gb black 5th Gen (it's noticeably thinner than the 60Gb and black looks weeeeeyyyy cooler).

The nano is a great device and I use it a lot on my bike but the 30Gb 5th gen is the stuff of dreams!

The Nano is a stupid choice. Go with more storage for near the same money, hell, even the full sized ipods are tiny, smaller than a wallet, so very easy to slip in your pocket.

Plus, dude, pr0n on the go, how can you say no? Great for those moments at work when you have nothing to do...

NulloModo said:
The Nano is a stupid choice. Go with more storage for near the same money, hell, even the full sized ipods are tiny, smaller than a wallet, so very easy to slip in your pocket.

Plus, dude, pr0n on the go, how can you say no? Great for those moments at work when you have nothing to do...

It's not quite that simple. If you're doing a lot of exercise, the nano's flash memory is a better choice. There's no lag in starting playback, since there's no hard drive to spin up. And of course, if you don't have more than 1000 songs (or only want to carry a select part of your music with you), the extra ~26 GB will just go to waste.

NulloModo said:

I would disagree. The nano is a great choice if you are going to be active with your iPod. Bouncing around the harddrive in the 5G cannot be good for it. I've knocked mine around a couple of times and could hear the arm crashing, and it didn't sound very good.

I dont listen to music while i exercise or i dont plan to. Usually got a friend going with me so i talk to him. I decided i could use the extra space more than small size so i went with the video 30.

Any reccomendations on video converters? My friend told me to use PSP Video 9. Anyone use that?

Back