Nano-cooling!? Interesting News

Well, one supplier charges $125-500 $/gram for carbon nanotube powders, so that's pretty expensive. I'm looking for thermal conductivity data that relates to orientation, but I can't find any real numbers. Conductivity in the direction of the fiber is huge, but only in that direction. So I don't know how they'd get the tubes to align in the paste, maybe just throw them in there and let them lay how they want. It'd be interesting to see them in a semi-rigid thermal pad so that they could be aligned.

of course, if they look into it now and develop the technology more, etc, etc...then prices will fall fairly quickly

Imagine gettng nanotubes to work as miniature heatpipes! the efficiency!!! (hmmm maybe i should apply for a patent... darn, ideas out, oh well)

Anyways, it was just a matter of time before this application was thought up. Not revolutionary, just evolutionary.

Originally posted by dotZIP
Imagine gettng nanotubes to work as miniature heatpipes! the efficiency!!! (hmmm maybe i should apply for a patent... darn, ideas out, oh well)

Anyways, it was just a matter of time before this application was thought up. Not revolutionary, just evolutionary.

ahhhh...evolution:rolleyes:

does anybody have a clue on how much this will drop the core temp by....maybe they should consider this for the presoctts

Originally posted by Ch1m3r4
of course, if they look into it now and develop the technology more, etc, etc...then prices will fall fairly quickly

They're formed by chemical vapor deposition, which is a fairly complicated process. I wouldn't expect them to get cheap any time TOO soon.

Originally posted by zer0signal667
They're formed by chemical vapor deposition, which is a fairly complicated process. I wouldn't expect them to get cheap any time TOO soon.

Well, once they find other ways to synthesize nanotubes (maybe using electricity or if they can somehow get self-assembling nanotubes) the prices might come down, so chimera might be right.

Originally posted by dotZIP
Well, once they find other ways to synthesize nanotubes (maybe using electricity or if they can somehow get self-assembling nanotubes) the prices might come down, so chimera might be right.

Every material processing method uses electricity... they may come down in price eventually, but it won't be comparable to the cost of micronized silver.

Might not be comparable, but if the price comes down enough to be a marketable product and offers enough performance increase, then I see no reason why people wouldn't buy it.

Originally posted by zer0signal667
Well, one supplier charges $125-500 $/gram for carbon nanotube powders, so that's pretty expensive.

Personal Computers started off as being super expensive. Now, they're at wally word for less than four bills with a monitor - When something is new, it is expensive... As time goes on, and the manufacturing process is refined, the price will come down.

even then, you don't need pure nanotube powder... get some fillers, dispersants, maybe a binder, an orientation agent... so price comes down...l

Back