• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Nalu Demo Speed

siegecraft4

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 16, 2003
Messages
324
I just purchased the BFG 6800 oc today and was running some of the graphics demos so I can oggle at the eye candy. Thing is, the card renders the 6800 version of Nalu at around 10-15 fps. Is this because the card is the NU version, or is it because my system is bottlenecking the card? Could there be some setting I overlooked? (system in sig)

I have benched the card in Aquamark with a result of 48500. Does that seem about right?
 
latest video card drivers?

latest mobo chipset drivers?

if so that's about it

i haven't tried the 6800 in the nalu demo so i don't know how it performs

how do your games perform?
 
The Nalu demo wasnt intended for speed , it was just a showcase of the 6 series abilities. On the system in my sig it runs at about 20-23 FPS. Sounds just about right for your system.
 
alright great thanks ... haha I could stare at Nalu's hair refraction effects for hours
 
When I got the plain 6800, Nalu ran like crap on my system. More of a slideshow than a demo. It runs better on my 6800GT but certain angles/scenes still bog it down.
 
with everything turned up 16xaf 4xaa and whatever res it runs at i average around 25-28 fps. this is on a BFG 6800 ultra 450/1250. card is accompanied with a 3500+ overclocked as well.
 
Xenozx said:
with everything turned up 16xaf 4xaa and whatever res it runs at i average around 25-28 fps. this is on a BFG 6800 ultra 450/1250. card is accompanied with a 3500+ overclocked as well.

Damn taht is a nice system, a nice card and very nice overclocks :eek: :D
 
I ran like absolute garbage on my Gainward 6800nu when I had it. It's smooth as silk on the 6800GT. Must need those extra pipe lines.
 
nalu is hotter than dawn but dawn looks better in nude.

how the fxxx do u check fps on nalu???
 
haha, now i feel dumb, since i ahve switched to the nude patch. whats better then watching a swimming naked mermaid? definately not watching a fully clothed one 8)

yea im happy with my system. I just wish i could get my card to 500/1500 on stock air cooling, but apparently thats not gonna happen...
 
Runs like crap on my leadtek as well. Id say its a little better than a slideshow. Far Cry and Doom3 runs smooth as silk though. Just must be the demo.
 
I was watching a 1fps slideshow until I took the advice I found around the forums. It's been said but if you haven't already, try changing your AGP aperature to 256 in the bios. After I did that it runs nice and smooth on my evga 6800nu.
 
siegecraft4 said:
I just purchased the BFG 6800 oc today and was running some of the graphics demos so I can oggle at the eye candy. Thing is, the card renders the 6800 version of Nalu at around 10-15 fps. Is this because the card is the NU version, or is it because my system is bottlenecking the card? Could there be some setting I overlooked? (system in sig)

I have benched the card in Aquamark with a result of 48500. Does that seem about right?

I have a system nearly identicle to yours with a 2700+. I've had the BFG 6800 OC for
almost 2 weeks. Opened Far Cry, so I'm stuck with it now. I think we (poor people with
nf2400 mobos and old XP processors) are slightly bottlenecked by the CPU and memory
bus. I'm planning to stuff a 400MHz FSB 3200+ Barton in there soon to see if it makes
any diff.

The BFG 6800 OC is nothing special, just another good card for Unreal style engines. It
falls right in line with the BFG bottom end marketing plan, sell an OK card with a free
game or two at full retail. I bought the FX5900 with COD last year and the 6800 OC isn't
much of an improvement in real world game play. I'm not real disappointed, just mildly
disappointed. I have slowly been pushing the clocks up, but it doesn't appear to be as
good an overclocker as the FX5900 is.

I guess the short version of my babble is we got what we paid for, but we still paid too much.

Brent

Here's my review, so to speak. It's pure vanilla goodness in games. Mid-fi all the way.
Doom3 is really too much for it on the 32-bit platform, and might still choke it up on a 754
Athlon 64. It's like a repackaged FX5900 with average image quality and all the rest. But it
rocks in pre-Doom 3 engine games.

You guys gave it too high a mark in my opinion. But it was early days when you were
testing it, and now real end user perspective is coming out. It's a good, but way overprice
budget card. An excellant upgrade from the GF4 line, but not much of an upgrade from the
FX5900 series.
 
elderdog: Drop a Mobile Barton in there. 2400+ should be able to do 2.4GHz and beyond.
 
KevC said:
elderdog: Drop a Mobile Barton in there. 2400+ should be able to do 2.4GHz and beyond.

Thanks for the tip KevC. Being a retired guy that has to support a 5 seat game LAN for
my son doesn't allow me the extra cash to buy the parts I would need to do any decent
CPU OCing on my lowly rig. Over the years I've discovered that you just can't OC reliably
with cheap parts. I'd rather do it with the faster stock CPU and leave the rest of it alone.
Cheap and stable is good enough for me. Besides I look at some of the real world gains
that all the money buys you, and it aint much, unless bragging rights is important. I'm
way too old for bragging rights to do me any good. ;)

So why do I visit HardOCP if I don't do a lot of OCing? Oddly, there isn't a better place to
track the underlying health of the technology sector, plus I do pick up a hint or too here
about what parts work or don't work for home brewed computer building.
 
Nalu runs like butter on my 6800nu as well, leading me to believe that the choppiness has more to do with the 128mb of ram than with the 6800nu being underpowered. Though for some reason I'm doubting even that.
 
GeniusInABottle said:
Nalu runs like butter on my 6800nu as well, leading me to believe that the choppiness has more to do with the 128mb of ram than with the 6800nu being underpowered. Though for some reason I'm doubting even that.

Interesting, but doesn't seem to apply if you are talking about the card in your sig thingie. Isn't the ASUS V9999 running stock at 350/1000 with DDR3? It's a different animal. The extremely vanilla BFG 6800 OC is clocked at 350/700 and uses DDR2. Not apples to apples. The V9999 is more like a GT, and a far superior card. So you would see butter where the BFG 6800 OC would product cottage cheese. Be well
 
Yes, I realized that my card is faster than an average 6800nu, but even after clocking it at 325/700 (the stock speeds for the 6800nu, and speeds far slower than most [H]er's are running ;) ) nalu was still smooth sailing for me. If it's not the extra 128mb of ram then I'm thinking the stuttering must be coming from either misconfigured bios/driver settings or a bottleneck somewhere else in the system.

Thank you for being curtious about it though, it's getting to be more and more a rarity in forums.
 
GeniusInABottle said:
Yes, I realized that my card is faster than an average 6800nu, but even after clocking it at 325/700 (the stock speeds for the 6800nu, and speeds far slower than most [H]er's are running ;) ) nalu was still smooth sailing for me. If it's not the extra 128mb of ram then I'm thinking the stuttering must be coming from either misconfigured bios/driver settings or a bottleneck somewhere else in the system.

Thank you for being curtious about it though, it's getting to be more and more a rarity in forums.

I noticed that your system is 64-bit, which in addition to that nice ASUS card probably explains a lot of the smooth rendering you see. Mine is a 32-bit system, as is the original poster's.

Ordinarily I would agree with you about the potential for misconfiguration, but not entirely in this case. I've built a few 64-bit game boxes for my son's friends and the difference in performance between the Athlon64 and the AthlonXP is substancial. The OS doesn't need to be 64-bit to have the underlying hardware subsystems take advantage of the raw bandwidth difference.

Anywho, you have a sweet graphics card and box. Top notch goods.

By the way, I did run the Nalu demo just now. It runs well enough, but isn't nearly as fluid as it should be. I'm sure my card would be adequate on your system. But even at the same clock speeds, your V9999 card would outperform the BFG 6800 OC without question. Mine is overclocked a bit at 380/772, which is more than as delivered, but it actually doesn't make a whole lot of difference given the RAM on the card and my system.

I think I'll be 64-bit by the end of the month, and get out of the AthlonXP world instead of upgrading just the processor. Then I can see if I'm actually right, and not just blowing smoke. :D
 
elderdog said:
I have a system nearly identicle to yours with a 2700+. I've had the BFG 6800 OC for
almost 2 weeks. Opened Far Cry, so I'm stuck with it now. I think we (poor people with
nf2400 mobos and old XP processors) are slightly bottlenecked by the CPU and memory
bus. I'm planning to stuff a 400MHz FSB 3200+ Barton in there soon to see if it makes
any diff.

The BFG 6800 OC is nothing special, just another good card for Unreal style engines. It
falls right in line with the BFG bottom end marketing plan, sell an OK card with a free
game or two at full retail. I bought the FX5900 with COD last year and the 6800 OC isn't
much of an improvement in real world game play. I'm not real disappointed, just mildly
disappointed. I have slowly been pushing the clocks up, but it doesn't appear to be as
good an overclocker as the FX5900 is.

I guess the short version of my babble is we got what we paid for, but we still paid too much.

Well, I would have to agree with the fact that the card is a poor overclocker. The issue isn't really that you can't set high clocks, since mine is running at 400/800. The real problem is that the higher clocks only increase performance by around 3fps in benchmarks and games. I'm thinking that this card is held back the DDR2 or the lack of pipelines.

However, unlike you, I can't really say I'm dissapointed. I came from a 9600 pro, so performance is virtually double. 1024x768 Far Cry ultra quality with 4x AA and 8x AF is pretty pleasing to me. For you though, maybe this upgrade wasn't that worthwhile. For me at least, its perfect, because it lets me get the remaining performance out of my older Socket A system. This is going to be the last upgrade (or so I promised myself) before a PCI express/BTX system.

Anyone who wants to purchase this card doesn't really have to worry about buying some cooler. The stock solution really is great. Overclocked temps rarely go over 75 under heavy load.
 
WackDaddy said:
I was watching a 1fps slideshow until I took the advice I found around the forums. It's been said but if you haven't already, try changing your AGP aperature to 256 in the bios. After I did that it runs nice and smooth on my evga 6800nu.

Good tip, this didn't really help the framerate that much, but for some reason the load time is much shorter.

Everyone with the NU needs to try the Nalu 6600 demo. Its more fluid and the quality is similar. :)
 
siegecraft4 said:
Well, I would have to agree with the fact that the card is a poor overclocker. The issue isn't really that you can't set high clocks, since mine is running at 400/800. The real problem is that the higher clocks only increase performance by around 3fps in benchmarks and games. I'm thinking that this card is held back the DDR2 or the lack of pipelines.

However, unlike you, I can't really say I'm dissapointed. I came from a 9600 pro, so performance is virtually double. 1024x768 Far Cry ultra quality with 4x AA and 8x AF is pretty pleasing to me. For you though, maybe this upgrade wasn't that worthwhile. For me at least, its perfect, because it lets me get the remaining performance out of my older Socket A system. This is going to be the last upgrade (or so I promised myself) before a PCI express/BTX system.

Anyone who wants to purchase this card doesn't really have to worry about buying some cooler. The stock solution really is great. Overclocked temps rarely go over 75 under heavy load.

All good points.

Interesting about the 9600 Pro. I asked my son to try out the BFG 6800 OC and Doom3 in my system, and told him I'd give him the card if he liked it. He didn't want it, and he has a 9600XT. It sort of bugged the heck out of me to tell you the truth. Anicdotal at best.

It's good to be happy with your purchase. I'm not really unhappy, cuz I got Doom3 and FryCry in the deal and then beat up on BestBuy for additional discounting using a Fry's ad for Doom3. In the end, I paid about what the card is worth if it had come with nothing but a drivers disc. (Some times, it is about money) If I didn't already have the 5900, I'd be jazzed about it.
 
wtf u goin on about elderdog? nalu runs fine on 6800nu, full stop. if u cant gettin runnin smoothly on 6800nu u dont deserve the card.

now how do u check fps on nalu?
 
siegecraft4 said:
Good tip, this didn't really help the framerate that much, but for some reason the load time is much shorter.

Everyone with the NU needs to try the Nalu 6600 demo. Its more fluid and the quality is similar. :)

Link to "Nalu 6600" demo?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.
 
Please tell this nOOb how to check FPS in the demo. I missed reading that part! Thanks in advance

Best regards
 
MYPEARL said:
Please tell this nOOb how to check FPS in the demo. I missed reading that part! Thanks in advance

Best regards

I'm actually just using fraps to check the fps. I don't know if there is a console command...

Now this is really interesting. I just downloaded the old Dawn and Dusk demos and they run really slow on my machine as well. Why could this possibly be? :confused: I mean those demos are last generation. Is it the missing memory again?
 
Back
Top