Nalgene 1-Liter Bottles - $6 @ Sport's Authority (B&M)

PTNL

Supreme [H]ardness
Just came back from Sport's Authority after picking up some needed Nalgene water bottles. The signage said it was an unadvertised special, so YMMV. However, I've mostly seen these go for 8-11 bucks a piece, so at least 25% seems [H]ot to me.

Last week at target B&M they had 75% off some of their $1 items including a knock-off 20oz nalgene type bottle. I've got 2 and they're great.

I work in the plastics industry and learned all about polycarbonate when I was an injection molding tech in 2000-02. I worked for a company whose main specialty was the manufacture of dialyzers which had polycarbonate housings. They had to be FDA approved, of course, and it was a tightly controlled process.

Mold techs like myself were only allowed to use certain kinds of cleaners on the machines.

Under normal conditions, you will not be exposed to bisphenols! If you fancy washing your bottles in commercial dishwashers like schools and restaurants use, you will be, if you don't rinse it out well enough. The detergents most of those use is powerful enough to dissolve your skin.

Your home dishwasher should not reach the temperatures or achieve the chemical reactions required to expose you.

The best thing you can do is to use a bleach/water solution at the concentration level the foodservice industry uses as sanitizer for cutting boards and things like that. Just make sure you don't leave the sanitizer in the bottles for an extended period of time.

If you need to store your bottles, fill them with clean water and add a couple drops of iodine to each one. If your offseason lasts a few months like it does here in Utah, this will prevent your bottles from skunking.

Back