Naked Opty & Freezer Pro??

CoachB

Weaksauce
I'm trying to cool my Opty 148 down a little. I've got an Epox EP-9GF6100 mATX mobo. I've been running a stock AMD HSF (no heatpipes) and can overclock to 2.6 before temps break 50C. The Opty is good for a LOT more but I don't like high temps.

I've removed the IHS from the Opty and applied AS5 to the core. Currently, I have the IHS sitting on the chip under the stock HSF.

My question is what will I need to do to use the Freezer Pro on the bare Opty core?? Is this even advisable??? Most bare core installations I've read about use HSFs that screw down so one can adjust the pressure. My other concern is if the holddown bracket needs to be modified to allow the Freezer to even make contact with the core.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions??

Thanks!!

I don't know if I got a bad Freezer Pro but I didn't like the locking mechanism at all. It tends to slide to the side at the very last bit of pressure when locking...smearing the AS around on the chip and pushing the copper plate about 2mm off center. I certainly wouldn't trust mine on a naked core. :(

Don't use the freezer pro on a naked opty. The locking mechanism applies a TON of force right before it locks...like you literally feel like your crushing your cpu.

Ded & Rid,

Yeah, the Freezer Pro does have a funky locking mechanism. I noticed it seemed to apply a lot of pressure on the IHS. I may try fabricating a bracket using screws to tighten it down gradually.

I've been installing it with the motherboard in the case. I may go to the trouble of taking the mobo out so I can better see what is happening during the install.

Thanks for your replies!

Do you already have the Freezer Pro in hand? If not, why not consider a different HSF that uses screw down instead of clamping mechanism.

Have you checked the temps now that you have applied AS% between the core and IHS? Just wondering if the temps dropped any from stock TIM between core and IHS. I too had an Opty 148 that was too hot. My temps dropped 6-7c by just removing the IHS and applying AS ceramique and replacing the IHS. It dropped another 4-5c by having my HSF directly on the core... of course I was using a Zalman 9500.

My stock 148 (with IHS on) would only go to 2.5 until temps got out of hand... after removing the IHS (on a naked core), I was able to push it to 2.9 before I hit the wall.

CoachB said:
Ded & Rid,

Yeah, the Freezer Pro does have a funky locking mechanism. I noticed it seemed to apply a lot of pressure on the IHS. I may try fabricating a bracket using screws to tighten it down gradually.
Mine needs so much pressure to lock that the locking lever slides to the side at the very end thus pushing the whole unit out of whack a few mm.

Nordic,

Yep, got the Freezer in hand. I bought it used tho so not into it for much mulah.

I did notice a 3-4 degree drop by applying AS5 to the core and then re-attaching the IHS. I've got another issue I think...when I apply AS5 (rice size) to the IHS center and attach the stock HSF, the AS5 forms a round circle in the middle of the IHS. It never makes it near the edges. I interpret this to mean the IHS and/or HSF are concave.

I've lapped the HSF but it was already quite flat based on the sanding marks. I think my IHS is concave on top and that the HSF is making contact mainly with the edges of the IHS. I want to lap the IHS but that removes the identifying numbers and such. Guess I've already gone way beyond warranty worries hehe.

Before I give up and go to another HSF, I think I'll take everything out and give the fit a good study to see if I can make the Freezer work somehow.

Thanks!

Update on the Freezer Pro...

Just for kicks I checked the flatness of the freezer pro heatsink base. I sat the heatsink on a flat surface and looked for light coming under the base. The copper base had a noticable concavity in it in one direction i.e parallel to the heatpipes. So, I started lapping with a flat metal file equivalent to 200 grit sand paper.

Sure enough, material started disappearing from the front & back edges. I continued until there was only a 1/4 inch area in the middle that the file wasn't touching. Then I switched to 200 grit then 400 grit then 800 grit. That got it flat and passibly smooth.

Cleaned everything up, applied fresh AS5, and took my time remounting. Where I was running ~50C while folding I'm now running 39-40C. And the freezer is much quieter. I still need to improve case ventilation a bit but I'm happy with the results so far.

Yes, I know a flat file is a bit extreme but I saw I had a good bit of material to remove. II used a nice, new, quality file, 1 inch wide. I took my time making gentle strokes with light pressure and making sure the file was flat against the base. And I only used the file to get to a point where I needed to become concerned about keeping things flat. I also removed the fan and the mounting bracket/clips so I could better control the heatsink.

Now to try pushing this Opty a little further!

Back