n00beroonie question: 3 computers can all access the internet, but no sharing

Subliminal

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I figure, since I fold for [H], this is probably the best place to go for help. ;)

Anyway, I have 3 computers at my house. 2 are hardwired to a Belkin router, and one is wireless.

Computer 1: Main CPU. This one is the most used, has all my music and stuff, and is the computer in the room with the cable modem and the router

Computer 2: Laptop. Wife's computer. As far as I can tell it's for checking myspace in the bathroom. :p

Computer 3: Garage computer. I just listen to music and research how to fix my cars with this one. It's hardwired to the router via about 100 ft of cat5.

Anyway, I would like to share 'My Music' folder on Computer #1 so that I can listen to the music contained within on the other two computers. All 3 can currently access the internet, but further than that, I'm a n00b to networking.

Can someone either:

A. Tell me how to accomplish my goals
B. Tell me some software that would be good to set it all up the way I want.
C. Tell me I'm a n00b and link me to the info.

Thanks alot, guys!

damon

OS for each PC? If XP on all..wonderfully easy...run the network setup wizard....it holds your hand through the entire process.

Since you're wireless...make sure you lock down security..toss on WPA, since you're file sharing.

XP on all 3 machines...I believe pro, as well.

I live in the middle of farm area, so i'm not too worried about someone intruding on my little network.

So, just use the wizard, and that should do it ok?

Also, will a network of this sort allow me to stream mp3s from said shared folder?

And last, but not least, how about video?

Thanks!

damon

I'd "worry" about security, at least use WPA on the wireless connection, since it takes almost no effort to set up. It only takes once to make you sorry you didn't use some sort of security :).

You should have no problem playing your music files over the network, or video either for that matter. The network will be more than fast enough.

My computer upstairs said no problems during network wizard. My garage computer says 'an error occured during the wizard' and won't finish setup.

Man...such a n00b. ;)

Make sure to set all of the computers on the same workgroup. That is a common mistake for this type of problem. Also, since they are on a router, turn off their static IP addresses, and tell them to obtain address automatically. If for some reason they all have to have static addresses, make sure the first three sections of the ip address (the 192.168.1.XXX) are all the same. The last three digits can be different. Do the same for the subnet mask, except they all need to be identical.

Well, I got this far:

Laptop can't be seen in workgroup, but can access shared folders on other two computers. This is fine.

Garage computer can share, and can see shared folder on main computer. Perfect.

Here's the weird one: Main computer has shared folder, which can be accessed from other computers, but it can't see the other computers, nor shared folders, in network places. I can ping the other 2 computers at the command prompt, but that's it.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Something else that's a consideration:

I have a wireless setup on my router which is different from this workgroup, and that can be seen from my main computer.

Could it be interfering with the network i'm trying to set up now?

Back