n00b: Why wont my computers see each other?

Shoobie

n00b
Sorry for the n00b question, but I'm having a difficult time grasping this networkikng stuff. Here is my situation. I have two computers (a laptop and a desktop) on a wireless network with a Linksys router. The desktop uses an ethernet cable, the laptop connects wirelessly. I want to transfer files between the two.

I ran the Windows Network Setup Wizard on both computers. The desktop sees itself and the laptop, but it cannot access the laptop (gives a 'network path not found' message). The laptop cannot see the desktop, and sometimes gives error messages when I open 'View workgroup computers'. The workgroup name is the same on both computers. Both user accounts are administrators.

If you need any more info, please let me know. Thank you for your time.

disable simple file sharing. in explorer go to tools>folder options>view>uncheck simple file sharing (should be at the bottom).

try accessing the shared folders through unc paths

ex: say the desktop is called pc1 (with a share called desktop) and the laptop is called laptop1 (with a share called desktop)

from laptop1 go to start>run and type \\pc1\desktop you may have to type in a username and pw.

if that doesnt work lemme know

I don't see the 'disable simple filesharing' option on my laptop. I did, however, disable it on the desktop. I double checked that the desktop's name is 'desktop' and that a shortcut to D: (named 'd') is in the 'Shared Documents' folder. I used that command, but to no avail.

But what happens when you go to the laptop, start menu, run, and type in \\desktop\sharedfoldername

You need to type in the shared items name after the \, "D:" wont work unless you shared something out as exactly that

The shortcut doesnt have to be in the shared documents folder, just place it on your laptops desktop

Maybe I'm just clueless as to how I go about sharing folders. On my desktop I out a shortcut to the C: and D: drives in the shared docs folder, named c and d. I want to be able to access these folders from my laptop. I ran the network setup wizard on both computers. Both computers have the same workgroup name. On the desktop I disabled the simple filesharing option. The desktop's name is desktop. From the laptop, I ran this command:

\\desktop\d\

I get the message, 'the network path was not found'. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Oh yeah, both accounts are amdinistrators. Should I disable the firewalls? Both run ZoneAlarm.

You need to right click on a folder on the desktops hard drive, choose properties and then go to the sharing tab.

enable "Share this folder" and give it a name.

From the laptop you would go start>Run and type in \\desktop\sharename

- NOT D, D is in the shared documents, , by itself, D, isnt a share

You should be able to get something when you type in \\Desktop and push enter.
- you may have to sign in with an account from the desktop PC

Back