N00b trying to overclock, help build a P4 comp < 1000

Detonate

Weaksauce
I have a 2200+ AMD right now that overheats like crazy when overclocked with the thermaltake peltier (not A - stupid clipping problems, I bled on the motherboard) and use to use the Tornado until that drove me crazy. I'm using all panaflo's now.

However I want to build another computer since my father wants a computer. I'll give him mine and make a new one for myself however all I can afford is up to 1000 not including monitor. Can someone give me a good setup for a 2.4 intel to be overclocked high with quality parts. Thanks.

Also, if I buy a 2.4 800 mhz p4, how will I know if its a C or not? I want to use this comp for DVD compressing with CCE since I just bought the TDK 804G.

Parts I will reuse and will just replace with generic:
Antec Truepower 430 Watt
TDK 804G DVDRW
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Altec 251 Speakers
Hard Drives

Most important is the CPU cooling, case, motherboard, ram, PSU.

you should just be able to go to newegg to pick out decent components...

I don't know much about the intel side of things right now mobo wise, so I'll keep my mouth shut.

As far as I know, however, by definition if the fsb is 800mhz, it is a 'C' and vice versa.

someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The C chip is 800mhz fsb and no other chip has an 800mhz fsb
Good mobos to look at are the IC7/IS7 and of course the IC7-Max3

1 Gig of mushkin lvl2 black pc3500

BFG 5900NU(oc to 5950's speeds)

Or a 9800Pro if you can afford it

You need to make sure you have psu/case/hdd/optical drives/fans/hsf(SP-94 or a Zalman7000ALCU)/ide cables

Case........ Bah get a Lanboy or something cheep. Get a psu around 400 watts. and sp-94 or Zalman 7000 cu/alcu

Where should I buy the mushkin and should I get higher than 3500 just to be sure or will that be enough?

Can you guys elaborate more on the mobos or lean toward a specific one? Thanks.

Sorry to bother you.

The Max3 is the best mobo.. Its got the best nb coolor and the best Moseft cooling. It also is the best o/cer

Get Mushkin off of newegg and Mushkin will oc very high. I guarentee if you pump 3.1v's into tthe ram you can boot 240-250 1:1 with 2-2-2-5 timings.

What exactly does this 1000 do to?...I dunno what you are gonna reuse and what you are gonna get new...What about a video card?

Back