• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

n00b SATA questions

saethar

n00b
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
8
I'm building a new box and for the first time I'll be using SATA drives.

It will have 2 drives, a 150gb raptor (SATA150) & a 500gb barracuda (SATA 3.0 gb/s).

Both drives are OEM and do not come with cables.

Is there a preferred cable brand/type for SATA drives? Does cable insulation matter, and if so who makes (and sells) good insulated cables?

Should I get a SATA I cable for the raptor and a SATA II cable for the barracuda, or should both be SATA II?

Thanks!

Saethar
 
SATA 150 and SATA 300 use the same 7 pin cable.

some cables have little clips on them so they don't "fall out". I never had one fall out so I wouldn't worry about that.

Most are shielded but some are not. I don't think people always list if they're shielded or not... but it is easy to tell if you have used them. Shielded ones are slightly thicker and bend differently when twisted.
Get shielded if you can ^ ^
 
If they're not shielded you aren't supposed to run them close in parallel to each other.

That's about it.

Get shielded cables.
 
Back
Top