n00b Question: highest tolerable MS response time on LCD

Scalpel

Gawd
Joined
May 2, 2001
Messages
662
I know this is a totally basic question, but I didn't see an FAQ for this forum so my apologies in advance for the basic-ness of this:

What is the highest tolerable MS response time on an LCD monitor? I know that 2 MS is great and all, but for those of us on a tight budget with Black Friday sales right around the corner, whats the highest MS response I could go to and still have a tolerable gaming experience? Would 15 MS be unbearable? What about 12?

Thanks in advance for the help.
 
It varies. The response time spec'd on monitors varies wildly, one companies 8ms might be the same as another companies 16ms. Some specify gray-to-gray, others black-white-black, and some panels have "overdrive" which further muddies the actual response time.

On top of that, you have peoples perceptions. Some people notice "ghosting" more than others. I know people who swear they don't notice ghosting on a quality 25ms panel, and then there are people who swear they see tons of ghosting on a 4, 6 or 8ms panel.

It's really hard to say. It's so subjective.
 
NKDietrich said:
It's really hard to say. It's so subjective.
Damnit, NKDietrich, I came to [H]ard|OCP for overly-opinionated ranting and statements of the absolute, not well-reasoned explanations! I'm so disappointed...

:D Seriously though, thanks for the response. I guess I'll have to do some further investigating of these deals.
 
Back
Top