n00b needs help

wopsang

Gawd
10.5.2 OS X server is workgroup.xxxxxx.com
The client is an old eMac 10.4.11
I am trying to get her on Jabber, everythings pretty much set, like in Directory Access I've connected to the server in that LDAPv3 thing.
But when I try to connect iChat a message pops up saying cannot connect to workgroup.xxxxxx.com.

I don't think I've included enough details, can someone help me? My friend's friend gave me this job because he was leaving without telling me I had to deal with this sort of thing. I thought it was simple hardware maintenance without having to deal with network stuff. I am very very new to this stuff, so take it easy on me.

Post up some more details and we are willing to give a hand. Maybe some screenshots or error messages.

Remember though, dont expect too much as not everyone on this forum is a guru on apple servers.

Okay so details...

The server is set up as workgroup.xxxxxx.com and everybody thats on the network is registered under Workgroup Manager. I added her and everything seems to be good there.

When I go to 'Connect to Server' on her computer I am able to access all the files that are shared on the server no problem.

I rebound the computer to the server through Directory Access to workgroup.xxxxxx.com and it's enabled, which should automatically connect iChat to that group so she can start Jabbering. I added the right account [email protected], and everything else is fine but when iChat attempts to connect, I get the error "could not connect to hose workgroup.xxxxxx.com."

I am at my wits end, I think there is some sort of compatibility error so that could be it...

Back