n00b lense question

tuffgong

[H]ard|Gawd
Can SLR lenses be used on DSLR's from the same company? I've got a bunch of Canon stuff laying around from the 70's and 80's and it's in great shape.

If the mount is the same usually, though someone will have to chime in about AF.

Generally you're going to get better IQ from newer lenses though with much less weight to boot.

In '87 Canon introduced a new lens mount. I'm not a Canon guy, so don't quote me on this, but I think you're SOL. You can probably get a converter, but at this point, why bother?

thanks guys. i think im just going to try and sell the lense locally. going to trade the camera back to canon for a discount on a refurb.

ok another question...other than lenses...how about filters? turns out i have a crapload of those! I also have a right angle finder.

Depends on what type and quality filters you have. They could go for as little as $5 for cheap basic plastic to couple hundred for quality filters. Without any info (type, diameter, make etc.), we can't say.

they're mostly sicor, hoya and cokin...ill try to get pics up tomorrow...appreciate all the help guys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_FD_lens_mount
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount

Most likely you may have FD lenses. The problem is, both mounts are not fully optically compatible. In truth, the FD lens is too far out from the flange focal distance, and infinity focus is lost. A optical adapter has to be used to gain back infinity focus, the problem is, image quality will take a mild hit.

The adapter work on 1.6 crop bodies, I'm not sure on Full Frame. I think the crop factor is 1.8 or 2.0 under a 1.6 body with the adapter.

Can you list your lenses, if you still have them?

The vivitar is a cheap lens. The Canon 50 1.4 is more intriguing, though still not worth much if it is FD.

vivatar 75-300 1:4.5-5.6 and canon 50mm 1:1.4

The vivitar is a cheap lens. The Canon 50 1.4 is more intriguing, though still not worth much if it is FD.

I think of all my FD lens that works best, but ok, with a optical correction adapter is the Canon FD 70-210. I agree the Vivitar is cheap. The FD 50 f/1.4 might have something going for it, even with the adapter, it would not fair too well.

Sorry, but theses lenses don't have much going for them. Maybe the FD 50f/1.4 might work on a micro 4/3 body with a adapter. The EF 50 f/1.8 II "Nifty Fifty", or the Sigma 30mm would crush it on a canon body.

Sell them both. :(

sold the ae-1 with the standard lens for $80...wasn't going to use it much anyway, but prob coulda gotten more for it.

Back