n00b LAN Question

PSU GURU

Limp Gawd
Can I connect a cat5e cable from my laptop connected to my wireless network to my desktop and receive internet on the desktop??

Is there some way to do this??

Thanks!
-Cam

Can I connect a cat5e cable from my laptop connected to my wireless network to my desktop and receive internet on the desktop??

Is there some way to do this??

Thanks!
-Cam

So you want to share the laptop's wireless connection with the desktop via ethernet?

Yes. Unless you have a hub/switch or router that you can network the desktop and laptop together you'll need a special crossover cable to connect the laptop directly to the desktop via ethernet. You can make them yourself or just buy one. I leave one in my laptop bag for this purpose. Normal cables are considered "straight through" cables and the "crossover" is done at the networking gear (hub, switch or router)

Since you don't have any networking gear, the cable has to do the crossover.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10232#1023202

Just get one of those in a length that suits your needs.

Windows makes it easy to bridge/share an Internet connection.

Damnit. My router that runs floor 2 of my house died and my desktop in my office has no internet now.

Is there some other option that is do-able without buying anything?? I cant wait for something to ship and there is now way in hell I'm paying $20 for a crossover cable at best buy.

Damnit. My router that runs floor 2 of my house died and my desktop in my office has no internet now.

Is there some other option that is do-able without buying anything?? I cant wait for something to ship and there is now way in hell I'm paying $20 for a crossover cable at best buy.

OfficeDepot has them as well and they are cheaper than $20.

http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/search.do?Ntt=crossover+cable

How do I make it myself?? Have lots of time and cables :p

You'll still need to buy the RJ45 connectors, plus you'll need some kind of crimp tool.

Just use a regular cable. Most, if not all ethernet ports from the past 5+ years support auto-crossover.

How do I make it myself?? Have lots of time and cables :p

You can find the wiring diagram online, but you need a special crimp tool and ends.

For a single cable, buying one is probably cheapest. But I would put that money toward a switch/router that could do it.

Okay, thanks for your help!

Will have to make the 1/2 hour trip to Ofice Depot tomorrow.

Best Buy is INSANE with cables. Thats why I said that

Se a regular cable. Any gigabit port and most new 10/100 ports support auto mdix. Use Internet connection sharing to get Internet through the wired nic. I've done this many times with Win7. Easy to do.

Se a regular cable. Any gigabit port and most new 10/100 ports support auto mdix. Use Internet connection sharing to get Internet through the wired nic. I've done this many times with Win7. Easy to do.

Hes right

The cabling issue aside, you'll need a way to share the internet connection. It can be done manually, but I have always had a problem making it work in Windows 7. I found it easier to just download Connectify and use it to share the internet connection.

As mentioned above, you need to setup Internet Connection Sharing on your laptop. Use a regular Ethernet cable if at least one NIC is GbE, or if you are feeling lucky otherwise. Using patch cables (regular) instead of crossovers will not damage anything, you just won't be able to connect.

Unless you have the parts and equipment on hand, it's cheaper to buy a short cable than make one.

Why not get a WiFi USB adaptor for your desktop and skip all the bork-edness?

Back