• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

N00b Advice

JoeCoral

n00b
Joined
May 14, 2009
Messages
57
I'm looking for a new set up speakers my the PC I'm in the process of building
I currently have a 2.1 kit I've had for about 5 years which has done me fine
I dont want to spend more than somewhere of £50-£100 at the most.
I'm not interested in a 5.1 surround system or giant speakers, just a pair of decent sounding speakers and a sub, either as separates or a complete 2.1 kit
Any suggestions?
 
Thanks for that J Macker, just looked them up and they look pretty good, not a bad price either, are they pretty popular then?
Also, do they need hooking up to an amp, or can I just plug them straight into my pc?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for that J Macker, just looked them up and they look pretty good, not a bad price either, are they pretty popular then?
Also, do they need hooking up to an amp, or can I just plug them straight into my pc?

Straight to PC. Yes they are popular and known to produce great sound.
 
Be warned, the most common complaint about the M-audio's is that they are STUDIO speakers, they will have no bass at all. You will need to add a sub for that kind of action.
 
What? They definitely have adequate bass, and if it's not enough, there is a switch for a boost of the lower frequencies. Sure, it can't replicate the awesomeness of a dedicated sub, but unless you are a bass nut, they do the job.
 
Be warned, the most common complaint about the M-audio's is that they are STUDIO speakers, they will have no bass at all. You will need to add a sub for that kind of action.

That is a complete and utter fallacy. Please, back that up with some data. :p

They are designed for music, not bass heavy gaming. Yet at the same time, they will sound great for gaming if you are interested in full sound.
 
Be warned, the most common complaint about the M-audio's is that they are STUDIO speakers
That's an interesting complaint considering that's what they're marketed as.

"The most common complaint about black cars is that they're black!"
 
studio speakers =/= no bass
studio speakers == designed to be accurate / minimally "colored" so they're useful for audio processing

That or sometimes the marketing guys just slap a bunch of words together without regard for what they mean in order to make it sound awesome.
 
Be warned, the most common complaint about the M-audio's is that they are STUDIO speakers, they will have no bass at all. You will need to add a sub for that kind of action.

Wow what? Are you insane?

My speakers have TONS of bass. In fact, I don't even NEED a subwoofer for the stuff I listen to. The odd chance R&B / Rap hits my speakers, the bass sounds fine.... this is coming from a person who had a Z-5500 with a sub, while terrible sub, it was still a sub nonetheless. It's not a sub substitute, but it's WAY more than enough for non super duper bass heads.

Turning on Bass Boost at the back of the AV40s puts in a lot more bass in as well if needed (not needed for me).

Please don't listen to this person.
 
Last edited:
Alright ppl, take a xanax. I also have these speakers, and if you were to compare these to an actual 2.1 unit or pretty much anything else they are lacking in bass. I love the sound they produce, but they don't even have as much bass as my ATH-AD700's. This is not a complaint(when did I complain), I love mine and I agree they would be a great buy.
 
Alright ppl, take a xanax. I also have these speakers, and if you were to compare these to an actual 2.1 unit or pretty much anything else they are lacking in bass. I love the sound they produce, but they don't even have as much bass as my ATH-AD700's. This is not a complaint(when did I complain), I love mine and I agree they would be a great buy.

Maybe yours.

My AV40s have more bass than my RX700, which indeed, have 50x more bass than the AD700.
 
I'm sorry.. why are we comparing speakers to headphones?

That's like comparing tires to propellers... they both make you move but...
 
Back
Top