MythBusters Returns with New Vibe, Casting Changes

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
One of the favorite TV shows for gadget geeks and techno-nerds will be airing on January 10th. Mythbusters will be returning on the Discovery Channel, but the show will look and feel quite differently this year. The show is returning to its roots as primarily an educational science program and will be missing some familiar cast members.

Now that the show will focus only on Savage and Hyneman, the stakes are arguably higher to produce an educational science show with plenty of action and exciting experiments to keep the audience interested.

I'm thinking we may have seen a glimpse at the new format in those recent Cornings Glass YouTube videos the two did.

Science + entertainment can be done. Check out Bang Goes the Theory from BBC. It's a very entertaining show.

all that kari ever did in most episodes is play all girly and paint things pink. but i wonder how much of a discrepancy there was in salary expectations between staff and producers assuming they liked their jobs and that the show was successful enough to continue. oh well, who knows. maybe both sides became greedy.

it's about time.. that show strayed too far from its roots ... the extra cast members didn't add enough in my opinion (science-wise) ... Hopefully they find good alternate jobs.. they're certainly talented people

I used to really enjoy Mythbusters, and then it just seemed like it got less and less interesting and more and more about explosions. And frankly, if you've seen one explosion you've seem then all. Hopefully this will be the kick in the pants they need to shape up. I might have to tune in this year, having skipped last season entirely.

I might actually start watching again. But if they keep getting 90% of their material from youtube then "no thanks".

I'm thinking we may have seen a glimpse at the new format in those recent Cornings Glass YouTube videos the two did.

Science + entertainment can be done. Check out Bang Goes the Theory from BBC. It's a very entertaining show.

It'll be closer to the TESTED series that they've been doing as of late with detailed footage of how they build something instead of a quickie montage. There was a clip taken out where Adam builds a bullwhip out of kangaroo leather. Strongly called back to the earlier seasons with more of the learning involved in TESTED.

They lost any respect I could have for them when they did that idiotic one hour Megashark special...

Yea.. that was just... incredibly dumb.

I'm glad they are gone honestly. I think the show is better with the original two. And the Myth's started to get REALLY boring.

Seriously Flight seat arrangements? How the fuck does anyone find that interesting in an hour long show?

The problem wasn't the "build team", the problem was the producers and the change of format.

1) Mythbusters became 100% scripted and it was obvious everyone was reading lines.
2) Every episode focused on making explosions and the cast's fake excitement and fake response.
3) Each episode, which is about 42 - 44 minutes long, was literally 50% "coming up next", previously on this myth..., recaps, and other useless filler.

Get rid of those three issues and the show will improve dramatically.

The new season of "MythBusters" launches with busting or proving myths inspired by episodes of "The Simpsons," which include dropping a cherry bomb down a toilet and taking a wrecking ball to a suburban home.

Savage and Hyneman will also be building weapons made in episodes of "The A-Team," as well as testing the finale of "Breaking Bad" involving the M-60 in Walter White's trunk.

As huge fans of "Raiders of the Lost Ark," the duo will also test the famous stunt where Indiana Jones uses his whip as a rope swing. Savage is a bit of an Indiana Jones whip expert, as he braided a similar "Raiders of the Lost Ark" bullwhip by hand and featured it on his Web series "Tested" in 2012.

Sounds interesting indeed this season. Hope for some better stuff too.

I miss Kari!!! You NEED at least 1 hottie on any show......

I think Grant added a lot to the show. Tory didn't impress me much.

The problem wasn't the "build team", the problem was the producers and the change of format.

1) Mythbusters became 100% scripted and it was obvious everyone was reading lines.
2) Every episode focused on making explosions and the cast's fake excitement and fake response.
3) Each episode, which is about 42 - 44 minutes long, was literally 50% "coming up next", previously on this myth..., recaps, and other useless filler.

Agreed on all points. They also need to stop focusing on TV and movie "magic" as "myths." Part of watching TV and movies is suspending disbelief to be entertained. No one should be thinking critically if that could happen in real life. I'll reserve my skepticism, though. If they're truly bringing real science back as the focus of the show, it could make it interesting. I haven't really watched Mythbusters in 5-6 years.

Only reason I occasionally tuned in was Kari. Never found the show particularly interesting though.

I hate that in any show and this one was highly guilty of this. But also what annoyed me was jumping back and forth between items. Just stick with one item and then move to the next in the next half of the show dammit.

I HAVE AN ATTENTION SPAN!!!!!!!:mad:

I thought the show was more enjoyable with the build team. Being younger, they have more energy than Jamie and Adam. Plus, Grant's bot building is amazing and I always smile watching them torture each other in the name of science in a few episodes. It just seems like they covered all the myth's out there and now have to resort to youtube video experiments.

Grant, Kari, and whats his face, NO offense meant. They were always the filler for me anyway. I would half way tune out their stupid crap for the meat of the show that was always the true MythBusters. The rest was.. well.. filler to me as well.

I am glad to see a return to the roots of MythBusters being about science. BTW this was basically said on an episode of Tested like 3 months ago. ;)

Dont remember the last time I learned something from watching Discovery.....:rolleyes:
That channel has become the TrueTV of "science" world.... Such a shame.:(

I watched the first several seasons, and stopped watching because it became repetitive. I preferred the first couple seasons with Jamie and Adam only. Hopefully the reboot makes refreshes the show.

Mythbusters has gone way off the rails with testing all the TV and movie myths. They need to stay away from movie and TV myths altogether. We already know that TV and movie stunts are pretty much never based on reality.

The irony of testing myths based on movies and TV is the hosts all used to work in the stunt industry so they know exactly how the stunts work.

Agreed, especially with number 3. Look at any of Discovery Channel's car shows - Overhaulin', Fast 'n' Loud, or that stupid Misfit Garage. If they cut the filler there probably would not be enough left for a 30 minute show.

I thought the show was more enjoyable with the build team. Being younger, they have more energy than Jamie and Adam. Plus, Grant's bot building is amazing and I always smile watching them torture each other in the name of science in a few episodes. It just seems like they covered all the myth's out there and now have to resort to youtube video experiments.

This^

I hated the B team from the start. Imahara is the only one of the three whom I enjoy and wouldn't mind seeing back in some fashion. The other two were only there to help appeal to a younger demo and, in Byron's case, provide some eye candy. They've aged out of that role—both are now on the wrong side of 40—which probably had an effect on contract negotiations.

Worst channel on TV.

First segment:
Tells you what they will do in the hour.

Commercial

Second segment:
Spends half the segment recapping the first segment that didn't do anything but tell you what they plan on doing during the rest of the show.. The last half of the segment is spend killing time with fluff.

Commercial

Third segment:
Spends half the time recapping the first segment then more time recapping the second segment which was a recap of the first segment, then even more time telling you what they will do in the next segment. Only a few minutes is spent on something new but alas, it's still fluff.

Commercial

Fourth segment:
80% of the last segment is spent recapping the first, second, and third segments. 10% of the segment is spent actually doing what they spent an hour telling you they were going to do then the last 10% of the segment is spent recapping the recapping they did of the recapping of the entire show.

Retarded station is retarded.

^^^ this .. so much this!

Grant was suuuuch a Douche Bag.
vIjuH5e.jpg

I disagree. While I'm not pro or anti Kari, her place in the show was kind of strange. From the earlier seasons, you could see she was one of Jamie's employees, a model maker/sculptor. What she was on the build team was a decoration maker and decoration herself. Tory was pretty much in the same position, except that he could actually help with the builds in significant ways and his inclusion made a little more sense. I don't have complaints about Grant, other than this was probably the height of his media career.

And the main Mythbusters are not communications majors so whether they read from prompter and are obvious about it isn't very significant. It's also TV, so some of events are played up for the cameras. I don't think it's entirely scripted: the designs of the experiments and outcomes are too sloppy for that.

Neil deGrasse Tyson's StarTalk podcast had a couple of episodes recently with an interview of Adam and Jamie. It goes into detail about what the premise is and how they stumble through myths they test, and also an admission about faking a reaction.

Mythbusters was on decline in popularity so they had to cut cost. The show will be gone in one season is my guess. They made a mistake not to keep Kari just to give balance to the walruses.

Dont remember the last time I learned something from watching Discovery.....:rolleyes:
That channel has become the TrueTV of "science" world.... Such a shame.:(

Even the Animal Planet channel pander to the lowest common denominator, every time I see "Finding Bigfoot" I want to smash my TV and cancel my sub. We should be able to blacklist channels from our set top boxes and cable cards.

I think the show is better with the original two. And the Myth's started to get REALLY boring.

Total agreement!! It was much better when the focus was on J&A and the build team JUST built stuff for J&A to use.. not do their own "mythbusting". Although I always did like Scottie over Grant as he was all about robots while she seemed to have bunches of hidden, untapped, underutilized talents (as well as tattoos)

The white lab coat pics with Kari... Enough said.

That was Kari 5+ YEARS ago.. any sex appeal she might have had disappeared once she got married and pregnant. She is now 40!!

If you saw J&A during their "Behind The Myths" tour, then you know both of them can carry the show. And you can check out what they are doing over at tested.com.. and, since Halloween is only 10 months away, here is how to dress like Jamie!!

1399313942_h_Mythbusters.jpg

Mythbusters has gone way off the rails with testing all the TV and movie myths. They need to stay away from movie and TV myths altogether. We already know that TV and movie stunts are pretty much never based on reality.

The irony of testing myths based on movies and TV is the hosts all used to work in the stunt industry so they know exactly how the stunts work.

Blame Discovery. A lot of the movie ones where because they were paid to do it. How many times did one of those movie episodes precede a major theatrical release?

But yes, one of the annoying things is the filler. Discovery got hooked on reality TV. One) it's cheap to produce and two) try can rehash everything with catch ups. It's why I absolutely will not watch a Discovery show that is not on a DVR. You literally fast forward for about 30minutes of the episode.

For science stuff, I prefer BBC or YouTube. Heck, I watch more BBC now than American TV. The BBC stuff isn't dumbed down as much. It's kinda sad to compare them.

Back