Mystery Burning Problem with multiple computers/drives

hound

2[H]4U
Okay, have tried searching for info on my problem, but can't find much, but please excuse if this is a repeat issue:

I cannot burn disks. Or rather, I cannot completely burn disks. No matter what I try, things get to about 6% or so, and then I've got a coaster. Also, attempting to burn usually pushes CPU usage through the roof, and sometimes the system crashes.

I have the desktop in my sig (AMD Barton 2500+, 1.5GB RAM, EpOX mobo), with two DVD burners in it, an NEC ND-3520A, and a Lite-on SOHW-12135. These drives are on the same IDE channel (IDE2), with the NEC as the master, and the Lite-on as the slave. These drive read from all kinds of media just fine--not a single problem with that, but they both crap out on burning at 6%. Nero, iTunes, burnatonce, all die. I have only tried burning with CD-Rs (I've tried a few different brands, with no luck), since I don't want to waste a blank DVD.

But to complicate matters further, I had the same problem with my other desktop (which has since been sold), which had a completely different configuration. Everything would go to some low percent, and then get some error and die. That system was a Monarch Hornet with an AMD Thorton 2400+, 1.5GB of RAM. The drive was another Lite-on DVD burner, and it was hooked up as a slave to a master hard drive in IDE1.

Now I suspect that the problem has something to do with Nero, somehow. I mess around with my systems alot, and I often reformat and reinstall. Thus, I have an external drive with a folder of "Things to Install Everytime." One of these things is the image of Nero OEM, which came with one of the drives, I just can't remember which. With that in mind, I tried uninstalling Nero, but upon restart, the system no longer saw my drives. The error that device manager gave me was "while drivers for the device are installed, the system cannot see the device." So I bought Nero 6 and installed it. Now, the system sees my drives just fine, I can still read off of everything, but I still can't burn.

I am running XP Pro w/SP2. I have McAffe Antivirus, and no virtual disk software like Alcohol120% or Daemon Tools installed

I figure I can just reformat and reinstall, but it can be a PITA, and I'm wondering just what is causing this, so I don't do it again. Any ideas?

Let me ask, is it the same media everytime? You know that you can write in "Simualation" mode. If it works in simulation, but fails to write, that is a sign that the media is bad.

dariob said:
Let me ask, is it the same media everytime? You know that you can write in "Simualation" mode. If it works in simulation, but fails to write, that is a sign that the media is bad.

I've tried different brands of CD-Rs, so I don't think it's the media.

Back