• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MySpace Suicide Trial Underway

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Well this ought to be interesting. That case in Missouri involving an adult woman that made a MySpace account to harass a 13 year old girl (that later committed suicide) is now underway.

Drew, 49, is charged with conspiracy and accessing protected computers without authorization to obtain information for the purpose of inflicting emotional distress on Megan Meier. The four charges each carry a maximum penalty of five years in prison.
 
Personally, I think the lady should rot in jail.

Someone of her age should know better. Obviously not, so she should be held accountable for her actions and rot in jail.
 
I agree what she did was horrible. They are stretching the statute about gaining without authorization pretty far though, as this has never been used before when someone sets up a fake profile. For that charge that's all they have. She set up a fake profile to gain unauthorized access to myspace as someone who doesn't exist. The prosecutors will likely win though. I just wish there were stiffer penalties for the conspiracy charge so it would actually be a charge for the right thing.
 
20 years for basically onlone harassment? Please.... a bit harsh to say the least. People commit murder and get less then that. The kid killed herself by her own hand--she was fucked to start with and so blaming someone else for that and giving them up to 20 years just shows how fucked up the justice system really is....
 
Am I the only one who saw the title and thought MySpace was testing some new online feature for leaving suicide notes?
 
I agree what she did was horrible. They are stretching the statute about gaining without authorization pretty far though, as this has never been used before when someone sets up a fake profile. For that charge that's all they have. She set up a fake profile to gain unauthorized access to myspace as someone who doesn't exist. The prosecutors will likely win though. I just wish there were stiffer penalties for the conspiracy charge so it would actually be a charge for the right thing.

Agreed. Basically what they are doing is trying to put someone aways basicaly for life as a way to make the parents feel better.

"Less than an hour later, Tina Meier found her daughter, who struggled for years with depression and school bullying, hanging from a belt in her closet."

The kid suffered from manic depression obviously to begin with. It wouldn't matter who was harassing her online, why can't people understand that?
 
Why do people insist on placing blame for bad things on other people?

If its one thing I hate about the way our "civilization" is progressing, its the continued degredation of personal responsibility, and the desire for people to expect both their happiness and welfare to come from somewhere else.
 
She'll get around five years and she deserves that just for being a stupid bitch. Case closed.
 
Edit Button FTW

She should get some punishment for her crime. Maybe half that and some parole. But now that it's at trial, she may walk totally free or possibly get a long time for taking it to trial. Either way, she's a stupid bitch. Leave the kids alone.

However, I've seen/heard/read that around eight kids have jumped off the fifth or sixth floor at the mall by my house. The last one, the kid was living after he jumped and then died on the way to the hospital. It was very sad to see all the pictures that were being shared amongst the local people on it. :(:(:(
 
Some punishment, I can agree with that. Harassment, e-thuggery, whatever. but blaming her for that poor girls mental problems? NO

If that young girls problems were so well documented, and so well known, where the hell where the parents? was she getting medical care? how is this some other persons problem?

If I am a suicidal person, and one of you knuckleheads makes me cry because some of posts on the intarwebs, its not your fault if I kill myself.
 
I don't like the statue they're using/precedent they are setting. But tormenting a kid, any kid, is wrong. The woman is supposed to be the adult. There is nothing "adult" about pretending to be someone’s online boyfriend to hurt them. The suicide aside, what she did to the girl SHOULD be criminal. Not 20 years though, but I would have no problems seeing WELL THOUGHT OUT AND WRITTEN laws put into place that say if you create fake identities online to torment, bully, harass, someone over extended periods of time it becomes a crime.
 
The kid suffered from manic depression obviously to begin with. It wouldn't matter who was harassing her online, why can't people understand that?

that's fucking bullshit... if there is a group of people you dont tourment and put down its people with pre-existing mental conditions...

its like throwing a frisbee out the window with a dog in the room, sure the dog jumped by itself.. but you threw the damn frisbee...

at the end of the day, that poor girl would be alive today if that fully accountable adult didn't do what she did.. it's not like she just called her a few names.. it was absolutely horrific the extent of her online harrassment... she deserves jail time.. its clear manslaughter of a child..
 
i think the dog analogy perfectly describes harassing somebody with diminished mental state...
 
i think the dog analogy perfectly describes harassing somebody with diminished mental state...

Wheres the dog owner in all of this?

this is like parents leaving their kid with Micheal Jackson over the weekend and then wondering their kid comes home with a sore butt.
 
Preying on kids is not the way to act when you're 49 years old. I don't think she murdered the girl but I do think she committed some other crimes so there for she should pay the price especially during a time like this.
 
Some punishment, I can agree with that. Harassment, e-thuggery, whatever. but blaming her for that poor girls mental problems? NO

If that young girls problems were so well documented, and so well known, where the hell where the parents? was she getting medical care? how is this some other persons problem?

If I am a suicidal person, and one of you knuckleheads makes me cry because some of posts on the intarwebs, its not your fault if I kill myself.

do you know how many people there are like this girl was? its hardly something you can cover on such a widescale, and besides a normal life is usually the best therapy for these people...
 
do you know how many people there are like this girl was? its hardly something you can cover on such a widescale, and besides a normal life is usually the best therapy for these people...

Whats your point?
 
Preying on kids is not the way to act when you're 49 years old. I don't think she murdered the girl but I do think she committed some other crimes so there for she should pay the price especially during a time like this.

saying bad stuff on the internet is preying on?
 
Wheres the dog owner in all of this?

if you own a dog, you dont expect somebody to try to kill it the moment you leave the room.. there's only so much vigilance a pet owner AKA a parent can do... as far as the parent would have known she was having a fight with her boyfirend... what advise exactly would you as a a parent given your child in that situation?? how would YOU have saved her life?? im dying to know..
 
Wheres the dog owner in all of this?


Being duped by some lying pieces of crap that are now on trial for being lying pieces of crap.


Please say that you aren't trying to blame the parents for thinking their 13 year old daughter was talking on MySpace with another 13 year old...

Seems like a double standard to blame the parents while giving a pass to the adults that tormented a troubled kid.
 
Wheres the dog owner in all of this?

this is like parents leaving their kid with Micheal Jackson over the weekend and then wondering their kid comes home with a sore butt.

So MJ doesn't commit a crime in all that? :confused:
 
Being duped by some lying pieces of crap that are now on trial for being lying pieces of crap.


Please say that you aren't trying to blame the parents for thinking their 13 year old daughter was talking on MySpace with another 13 year old...

Seems like a double standard to blame the parents while giving a pass to the adults that tormented a troubled kid.

If my kid had long term well established mental issues with suicidal tendencies, I wouldn't let my 13yo daughter spend a bunch of time on myspace and id be more involved in her life. If she was especially upset about something id get down to the bottom of it.

I sure as hell wouldn't blame someone else for her killing herself.

Normal healthy people (even kids!!) dont kill themselves because someone picks on them. Jesus Christ people what the hell is wrong with you? The kid was a suicide waiting to happen, and as sad as that is, one person saying bad things was NOT the cause of it!!!

I hope you dont ever say something mean so some mental person one day and they go off themselves!
 
that's fucking bullshit... if there is a group of people you dont tourment and put down its people with pre-existing mental conditions...

its like throwing a frisbee out the window with a dog in the room, sure the dog jumped by itself.. but you threw the damn frisbee...

at the end of the day, that poor girl would be alive today if that fully accountable adult didn't do what she did.. it's not like she just called her a few names.. it was absolutely horrific the extent of her online harrassment... she deserves jail time.. its clear manslaughter of a child..

I agree the bitch deserves some time. But up to 20 years? Fuck no! Listen, I have done some time as well. I served 6 months in a maximum facility for some stupid shit I did a few years back so I know what it is like being there. Guys, I served time with guys that actualy KILLED other people and were only looking at 15 years. What this women did or instagated deserves some kind of punishment--but to be locked up with murderers for what amounts to online harassment is bullshit plain and simple! The punishment has to fit the crime. Give her 12 months max then a few years probation case closed...
 
I agree the bitch deserves some time. But up to 20 years? Fuck no! Listen, I have done some time as well. I served 6 months in a maximum facility for some stupid shit I did a few years back so I know what it is like being there. Guys, I served time with guys that actualy KILLED other people and were only looking at 15 years. What this women did or instagated deserves some kind of punishment--but to be locked up with murderers for what amounts to online harassment is bullshit plain and simple! The punishment has to fit the crime. Give her 12 months max then a few years probation case closed...

Apparently these morons think hurting someones feelings equates to murder, I am baffled.
 
Incouraging some to commit suicide is is similar to encouraging someone to commit murder, which is illegal btw. This woman should be punished for both cyber-bullying and not acting her age. But I believe that she should spend around a year in jail to think about what she did.
 
I don't agree that they should jail this woman. Words are words and if you take it to personal (especially over the internet), you have serious issues.
 
I don't agree that they should jail this woman. Words are words and if you take it to personal (especially over the internet), you have serious issues.

Well if she actually encouraged someone to commit suicide and it if that is against the law, then she be tried for the actual crimes she committed. Laws are laws. The whole idea of putting her on trial for being "mean" is stupid though.
 
I agree the bitch deserves some time. But up to 20 years? Fuck no! Listen, I have done some time as well. I served 6 months in a maximum facility for some stupid shit I did a few years back so I know what it is like being there. Guys, I served time with guys that actualy KILLED other people and were only looking at 15 years. What this women did or instagated deserves some kind of punishment--but to be locked up with murderers for what amounts to online harassment is bullshit plain and simple! The punishment has to fit the crime. Give her 12 months max then a few years probation case closed...

I think she should be tried for manslaughter, she'll never get 20 years for it.. but i think up to 10 years would be reasonable. She has no excuse, and a girl is dead.

@monkey_god
teenage girls have secrets, teenage girls demand their privacy, she wasn't six years old.. she was at the age where all (99.99%) kids rebel against their parents. Parents today do have a lot to account for when it comes to the youth of today, but to suggest these parent are responsible for her death, if you truly believe that, that's very sad indeed, you're obviously jaded before your time.
 
Wish I was a fly on the way in this jury room during deliberations....It would be a huge argument. I would be surprised if it doesn’t come back a hung jury....

If I was one of the 12 deciding I would convict her of criminal harassment only and give her a few months in jail plus some probation...
 
Well if she actually encouraged someone to commit suicide and it if that is against the law, then she be tried for the actual crimes she committed. Laws are laws. The whole idea of putting her on trial for being "mean" is stupid though.

Hearsay.

If I told you to jump off a bridge and you are stupid enough to try it, is that a crime? Think about it.

Now if I lied and said, hey, these militants are coming for you and they are going to behead you, quick, jump of the bridge, it's safe.. and you died, then yes, I would play a bigger role.


What I find funny is the fact that people are trying to reinvent our laws.
 
I don't agree that they should jail this woman. Words are words and if you take it to personal (especially over the internet), you have serious issues.

words aren't just words when you think they are coming from somebody you care about.. if some random called me some horrible things and told me they never wanted to see me again and i should kill myself.. i'd fob it off as a laugh.. if my mother or somebody else close to me said it.. i'd go off the deep end and fall into a crazy depression..
 
If I told you to jump off a bridge and you are stupid enough to try it, is that a crime? Think about it.

Now if I lied and said, hey, these militants are coming for you and they are going to behead you, quick, jump of the bridge, it's safe.. and you died, then yes, I would play a bigger role.

see my above statement regarding that...
 
Hearsay.

If I told you to jump off a bridge and you are stupid enough to try it, is that a crime? Think about it.

Now if I lied and said, hey, these militants are coming for you and they are going to behead you, quick, jump of the bridge, it's safe.. and you died, then yes, I would play a bigger role.


What I find funny is the fact that people are trying to reinvent our laws.

thats very different. thats tricking someone into killing themselves, its basically manslaughter. but making me kill myself because you called me bad names and made fun of me, thats just means your a jerk, not a murderer.
 
The problem is this girl was vulnerable. Another adult knew this, and pushed her deliberately over the edge, into death. It doesn't matter if someone's depressed, because that in itself doesn't mean you're suicidal. The woman should rot in jail, and I have no sympathy for this person.
 
This wasen't manslaghter or murder or anything like that. It was harassment which here in Canada is a summary (misdomeaneor?) conviction with a max pen of up to 2 years in jail and or a $2000 fine.
 
thats just means your a jerk, not a murderer.

i wouldnt say murder, id say manslaughter.. but regardless, it wasnt 'just somebody' calling her names it was somebody pretending to be her boyfriend big difference...
 
Back
Top