• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MySpace Sued Over Online Predators

Making matters worse is the fact that MANY kids on MySpace don't even lie, you see this all the time:

Age: 13

Had anyone from MySpace even bothered to look at some of these profiles they'd know that kids don't even bother to lie. If you search your zip code for 18 (the lowest age on the menu) to 20, see how many pop up 14 and under. Ugh.

And, to PROVE Lethals point about the lying to get in...someone PLEASE tell me with a straight face this girl is really 19. :eek:
Then at the very least, myspace needs to implement age as a criteria for info required during registration.

I know in the latest version of vBulletin if someone tries to register that's under 13 and you have the COPPA controls turned on, it will reject them and set a cookie that will not allow them to attempt to register again with a different DOB. Of course, a smart kid can figure that out and still get around it. But if myspace can't even do that, they're not even trying to keep the under 14 crowd out.
 
Then at the very least, myspace needs to implement age as a criteria for info required during registration.

I know in the latest version of vBulletin if someone tries to register that's under 13 and you have the COPPA controls turned on, it will reject them and set a cookie that will not allow them to attempt to register again with a different DOB. Of course, a smart kid can figure that out and still get around it. But if myspace can't even do that, they're not even trying to keep the under 14 crowd out.

i believe DOB is a requirement and under the Terms and Conditions it says you have to be over 13 to be on myspace anyways.
 
Ok, here is my rant on the topic.

MySpace isn't at fault here. Who is at fault are the parents of the victims.

I personally don't know any parents that will let their underage kids go to a club full of grown men. So, why let them on MySpace? I personally can' tell the difference.

I have heard alot of people say that they didn't know that their kids had a MySpace account. Again, who's fault is that? The parents. You can't tell me that you let your underage daughter use the computer and don't check up on her? Set some parental controls, block certain sites, TALK TO YOUR KIDS. You have been hearing all this shit about MySpace and how people are getting raped because they are giving out their info.

How about this:
(Mom): Suzie, do you have a MySpace account?
(Suzie): Yes mom.
(Mom): Can I please see it? I don't mind that you have one, I want to make sure that you aren't giving out private information, and I want to make sure that you are safe.

Well, how about that? Was it that hard? In my opinion, it comes down to parents not caring. If you cared about your child, maybe you would check up on them instead of letting them run wild doing whatever they want.

I'm 17 and I believe that I have more common sense than the average adult these days. Its ridiculous.

Like I said, I'm 17. When the MySpace rape thing started happening, my parents asked ME about it. If I had one, etc. I told them, yes, of course. I don't give out any personal data, I'm a safe user, the only friends I have on there are my own in real life. I even gave them the web address so that they could see it and verify that.

Sure, my parents may be over protective at times, but in todays day in age, they should be. They trust me and let me do my own thing because they know I'm not stupid, but they do check in and I don't mind that.

Also, parents. Have you ever given your children the "Stranger Talk". Ya know, the one about not talking to strangers, not offering to meet strangers in a dark alleyway, not letting the strangers have sex with you? I don't know, but I got that talk. I can't be sure if it was that talk that helped, or my own common sense, but I think its worth a shot.

In my eyes, in the end, it all comes down to talking. Parents don't talk to their kids anymore. Parents don't care anymore. Oh, you have a computer, good, go use it. I don't care what you do, just go ahead. I know the dangers, and I'm not going to stop you.

/rant
Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading.
 
I just had to chip in on this subject, Exavior in a recent post asked some telling questions on overall responsibility in our society. This is another excellent example of the Perfect World crowds view of the world. It has and will always be the responsibility of parents to teach, review and ultimately decide what is appropriate for their children, if that is not clear to any parent, then their children are doomed to a likely disaster.

It has been my observation in life that anything worth doing usually has some element of danger; the way one can participate is to be taught and expand on that teaching with your own native wit, which allows you to be involved and hopefully survive. When I read the many posts on this subject, it makes me realize that a substantial amount of you just plain get it. You guys rock.

I am one of the truly senior members of this wonderful group of high tech super bright just plain fun individuals. You young members have been my main resource in staying up with all the technology through the years. Even thought I am way out on the far end of the bell curve regarding age, I would doubt there are many members in the (H) that love computers, the internet and of course cool games any more then I do, which proves that age is no discriminator in ones passion for any given interest.
 
Age has nothing to do with it. It is the parents failure at parenting and teaching their kids about right and wrong.
And one of the reasons for the parents to be so lax in their parenting is due to the higher cost of living which requires usually both parents to work, leaving less time for parental supervision.
When I was growing up, it wasn't very common for both parents to work. My mom never worked when we lived here in the US, but she did work when we were living in Iceland, but that was because she wanted to work, so I was stuck watching my brother and sister.

people are always blaming someone or something and using that as a scapegoat.
 
I hate these bum @$$ parents who sue because their bum @$$ can't make an income.

I have no clue how these guys get even close to contact to kids at myspace.

1. Who posts an address at a myspace? I can understand state, but how do these predators come to contact? SImple the kids tell them.

2. Myspace isn't an instant messenger like AIM. You gotta send a message and if you get a message from someone you don't know, then you have the ability to DECLINE it, or contact myspace staff at the forums.

This is so dumb. Even if I was at age 10 and I had a myspace I would have known better, but these kids are like 14, 15, 16 and WTF they don't know there are perverts and predators out there?!?!?!?!?!?

There is no lawsuit - mornic kids and parents.
 
Also you can set your myspace profile to private which makes it alot difficult for predators to see your profile and your pics because they HAVE to be your friend.

If a kid accepts a predators as his/her friend then there is nothing that can be done.
 
parents who allow their children to browse the net unsupervised and end up going out and doing sexual acts with an adult need to be locked up for child endangerment.
 
parents who allow their children to browse the net unsupervised and end up going out and doing sexual acts with an adult need to be locked up for child endangerment.

i wonder if we can sue the parents for child neglect....ummm....interesting :p
 
parents who allow their children to browse the net unsupervised and end up going out and doing sexual acts with an adult need to be locked up for child endangerment.

i wonder if we can sue the parents for child neglect....ummm....interesting :p

I was just going to say that. You bring up a great point, both of you. Because honestly, it is child neglect. But, who would sue for that? I mean, anyone could, but who would? Personally, I may not want to sue, but I want this point brought up in court.

Seriously, who has lawyer friends? Give them this thread and get it to that courtroom. There are alot of good points here that show not only is MySpace not in the wrong, but that the parents are neglecting their kids.
 
^Shakes head*

In a few words I can show what the internet does to one's social life and it makes me
laugh.

"Myspace parties"


'nuff said
 
Oh dear god... Welcome to Armageddon, please take a number.

To make it even worse,

Now featuring My Space Coasters
and Tom's new video: How myspace can "get you in touch" with your "inner" or outter teen.

and featuring the book:

How to create myspace profiles in under 5 minutes and get new crazy friends for only
$5.95.


"The only question I have to ask all of you is? Is your girlfriend or wife in your top 10 LOL"
 
In this case, parents don't take the blame, myspace does. Myspace has created a filthy culture of posting half naked pictures of your self, this easily invites scumbags onto the site. It's almost like porn.k.


This culture was around long before myspace on numerous other sites (as far back as when i was 17 and got onto the net using yahoo chat rooms and crap a/s/l ?), basically as soon as digi cams and web cams became the norm this has been happening,


Just happens myspace is the largest, so they take the heat, why not go harass hi5 or one of those newer myspace wanna be sites.


MySpace is like Microsoft, because they are number #1 at what they do - it makes them an easy target cause people don't like to see companies succeed and would rather blame someone else.
 
Is he on YOUR top ten? hehe

Yeah and the fact that they still "try" to make it seem like he's the number one man behind running it etc.

no...i deleted him the second i found out how :)

and my final point of this matter is this:

These parents either A) Didnt give a crap about the children wellfare until AFTER this happened and thats just wrong. or B) they cared about their kids but have no idea how to make their kids see that and they are STILL getting it wrong. (i bet $5 that there is major issues in that family, either parent v parent, or either parent or both v the kid)....and that all i have to say about.


ps: no i dont have kids yet but one of the major reasons i dont have one is cuz i believe im not ready for the awesome task yet, and because of that, i take every precation i can to not be one.
 
I didn't read any replies in the thread, but my views are and have always been this:

Watch your kids. If they're on Myspace, make sure they aren't hooker-ing off with some old dude in Isreal via a plane ticket that you "UNKNOWINGLY" ended up buying for them.:rolleyes:

You don't even have to watchdog them. You should be able to have enough trust in your kids to be in the "know" without being a damn spy.

It's really not that hard.

There are exceptions, of course, as situations can get complicated, but for the most part it's just idiotic teens doing things they aren't quite ready for yet. But they didn't know that, and then mommy wants to find someone to sue about it.:eek:
 
It is like a contest...who can sue for the most retarded crap and win.

I fixed that for you Steve. I think that it is pretty clear that there is a rather tough competition in the sue-get-rich-quick market.
 
Isn't there something similar to the Darwin Awards that lists the best of frivilous lawsuits?
 
Next up suing McDonalds because you eat that food almost everyday and are a fat cow... oh wait they did that one already..

How about suing the owner of a warehouse where there was a rave because you kid was an idiot and took extasy and got her "innocence" snatched up... oh wait think they tried that one too

How about suing yourselves for being a crappy parent, having absolutely no parental responsibility, and just blindly giving a child access to what can be a dangerous item? Would you allow your kids to play with a gun? Guess what you get in trouble if they kill anyone! So your kids get molested because you don't keep an eye on what they do on the internet, then you should get a call from Child Protective Services and be repreimended!
 
Next up suing McDonalds because you eat that food almost everyday and are a fat cow... oh wait they did that one already..

How about suing the owner of a warehouse where there was a rave because you kid was an idiot and took extasy and got her "innocence" snatched up... oh wait think they tried that one too

How about suing yourselves for being a crappy parent, having absolutely no parental responsibility, and just blindly giving a child access to what can be a dangerous item? Would you allow your kids to play with a gun? Guess what you get in trouble if they kill anyone! So your kids get molested because you don't keep an eye on what they do on the internet, then you should get a call from Child Protective Services and be repreimended!


I file these things under a lack of self responsibility. It's people like these who depends on others for them to be responsible.
 
I couldn’t agree more. They should be awarded with “worst parent of the year” awards as opposed being rewarded with lawsuits.
Even though I am a guy, my mommie always tried (unsuccessfully though) to keep an eye on what I was doing both online and offline. However, what is even more important is how these kids got the opportunity to meet with the predators and get molested. These are probably the parents that let their kids do whatever they want from 4PM to 10PM. As long as they make it home by curfew, the parents are too lazy to check out what is actually going on.
Finally, the fact that these kids were tricked so easily shows that the parents have done a poor job of raising them. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to realize that the creepy “17 year old guy with no pictures of himself” that wants to meet you in a remote area of the woods is probably up to no good
 
If child predators were handled appropriately i.e. with 20' of rope and the closest tree this wouldn't be an issue. :confused:
 
Having your child show you his/her myspace account does nothing. Why? Because I always had two accounts ;) The one I showed and the one I didn't. I'm sorry...but 99% of parents are there technologically inept. Parents always seem to believe their children…the fools they are. A child will always test you…if they find a flaw, they will exploit it.
 
Having your child show you his/her myspace account does nothing. Why? Because I always had two accounts ;) The one I showed and the one I didn't. I'm sorry...but 99% of parents are there technologically inept. Parents always seem to believe their children…the fools they are. A child will always test you…if they find a flaw, they will exploit it.

THANK YOU :D


for proving the point of no matter what a parent really does, a kid that wants to do something will do it regardless and should be held responsible FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS....come on....100+ years ago a 14 year old girl was most likely getting ready to marry and start having kids. Its just this new society that we live in that is truly different from the past and everyone is having MAJOR growing pains with it.
 
Right on roftranspo. Just because certain infrastructures can be abused doesn't warrant their removal. Its just blaming the means rather than the reason.

People need to accept responsibility for their actions. It's actually empowering.
 
Back
Top