• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My X2 makes noise?

CaptRingold

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
256
Hard to believe, but I think it is...

I've got one core loaded 100% with F@H, and the other is idle waiting on a UD work unit, and.. theres little noises like rapid fire air puffs or like a fan gently rubbing something as it turns.

But only when ones loaded and the other isnt.. otherwise, it goes away if they're both loaded.

My ear says its from the area of the CPU -- its not the HD and it's not the mb fan. I.. uh.. doubt it's the RAM.

It's got a waterblock on it, with generic thermal grease under it I picked up real quick at the school comp store.

Is the stuff maybe boiling or outgasing or something from one part of the heat spreader being hotter than the other, or.. what?

Using a DFI NF4 Ultra-D.

One big WTF bubble floating over my head at the moment -- didn't think electrons made noise!

 
Are you certain the sound isn't coming from the power circuitry area? Especially coils can be quite noisy. Some glue usually takes care of noisy coils.
 
It could possibly be that, I just know its from the CPU or the area directly around it -- which includes plenty of capacitors, coils, etc.. I'd have to lay the thing down and remove a 120mm fan that blows at the ram to really get down close to listen.

Thanks -- wouldn't of suspected circuitry. I guess I know it makes noise from the whine a TV makes when its on and whatnot, but electrons never make the suspect list for me

 
touch the torroids and those 3 black things by the PWMIC sinks when one core is loaded, see which is making the noise ;)
 
I thought I heard noises that corresponded with cpu activity when I first had my Opteron dual core... later that evening the motherboard died ;)
 
can you touch coils and what not without getting shocked?
 
MTXR said:
can you touch coils and what not without getting shocked?
yup. well, actually, you can get shocked, but i highly highly highly doubt you'll even feel 12v... unless your hands are wet. if your hands are wet, gtfa from the comp ;)
 
Attach your nipples to your car battery if you wanna see if it'll shock ya ;)

Anyway, its probably the torroids.
 
well, i guess i should rephrase.. at the amperage that the average cpu draws at 12v (~9-11a for an X2), you won't feel it ;)
 
heh, then you're dealing with caps holding a good number of microfarads at high voltage. definitly bad for any nerves and cells that might be alive :(


5 :eek:
 
Back
Top