My win 7 is 350GB !

Zer0Cool

Limp Gawd
My father brought his PC to me from work. He is complaining that he cannont sore anymoer files that drive is full. He was infact correct, the windows folder for some reason is 350GB!!! out of 372GB total space. On my PC its 13GB his is 350... is that a virus? He is running win 7

Plz help.

Last edited:
You can try ccleaner to see if it's a case of temp files gone mad
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

and you can right click directories, see how large it is, and find your culprit that way. My guess is too many files in the my documents folder.

Did he recently upgrade to 7? If so, check for a folder called Windows.old. It contains all your stuff from the previous installation of Windows. Take what you need out of it and delete it.

I just looked inside the folder and was able to narrow it down to the Temp folder that was about 350GB!!! How is this possible, how can i prevent this in the future?

Thanks

Download CCleaner on his computer and tell him to run it every week or so. That'll keep the Temp folder down in size.

I just looked inside the folder and was able to narrow it down to the Temp folder that was about 350GB!!! How is this possible, how can i prevent this in the future?

Thanks

Temp doesn't arbitrarily balloon to crazy sizes. He must be doing something that causes all this stuff to generate. You may want to poke around in Temp and see what kind of files they are, and check the timestamps.

As SicKlown said, you can install CCleaner. Keep in mind you can set it to 'clean' on each boot as another option.

You may want to poke around in Temp and see what kind of files they are, and check the timestamps.
That's the best advice so far. Find out what and why his Temp dir is getting that large. Solve the problem, rather than clean it up over and over.

Temp doesn't arbitrarily balloon to crazy sizes. .

Yes it does.

I've seen temp folders as large as 120gb, on windows 7.

Just last week I recovered almost 150gb of hd space from temp files, system restore, memory dump files, etc. using disk clean up. I had 2 gb of temp internet files and I rarely use IE. I hadn't cleaned up in about 6 months, but still.

Somethings fishy though, temp files are not stored in the windows folder in windows 7.

CCleaner, WinDirStat, and run an AV like MSE. One of those will find the problem most likely. It does sound like a case of bad Temp files. Is there a program on there that is "not well known"? What kind of PC is it (Dell, HP, IBM)?

Yeah wow that is not right at all. Something is seriously wrong there.

Curious to know what the heck was getting put in there, I haven't seen this before.

I have seen a few rare cases of a virus using a computer as a server for a warez type of setup. Maybe it could be something like this? Rare but a possibility.

Might also go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup
Scroll down and check the "Per user queued Windows Error Report" and "Thumbnails" sections - if massive in disk usage, check the box next to them and click OK to clear it up.

Is he doing any sort of photo/video editing? Maybe temp files from that sort of work.

Back