My "what I think of Vista" post

f1y

Supreme [H]ardness
First off It's not a damn this damn that thread.

I've owned Vista Ultimate for about 2 1/2 weeks now. First off It kind blew, the whole learning everything new sucked. Google was my friend the first week or so. Networking my XP computers to the Vista box is easy. Ultimate came with windows media center thing that records tv and manages all my stuff in a cool way. I also bought a my first widescreen monitor the same time as vista.

Side note this... widescreen is just freaking sweet.

Out of 2Gbs of ram sitting still doing nothing takes up 27% of my ram. so about 512, not bad. So far I've gotten Ghost Recon:Advanced War Fighter, Battlefield 2, and Oblivion installed. Itunes, anydvd, clonedvd, daemon tools, and a couple other bits of software. The thing I love the most is just the way it looks..

if I had to discribe Vista to someone. I'd tell them It's like when you get a new smoking hot girlfriend and everything that happens is new, exciting, and kind of cute. Then one day you take notice and those cute new things now seem like somewhat of an annoyance and kind of bother you. Then when you try and overlook them and get past and that doesn't happen, but look past all that because she's hot. :)

Thought to self: Wonder if I can claim Vista as a work expense on next years taxes?

I have to LOL.

You got some very short and rollcoster-errific relationships...

All that happens for you in two weeks? Damn, what was I thinking holding onto the hot ones for so long, that woulda made the whole 'ditching' thing much easier..

So, what features in particular do you feel like you'll get annoyed with?

What features do you feel you couldn't live (read: Need on any OS) without?

Erm...

o_O

you may spend too much time with your computer, if you start looking at it like that.

;)

Funny review

I will agree that there is a learning curve, especially after running XP for so many years (which was user-functionally identical to 95-98-Mistake Edition). I understand what they're trying to do with the new windows, like the new 'My Computer' and the new 'Networking Center', but I just wish it were easier to access the old dialogs windows. I've actually left everything in 'Vista' mode (contrary to using, for example, the 'Classic Control Panel' in XP, which is also available in Vista) and its actually not that bad, once u get used to it.

And even though you didn't mention 64-bit, I find that almost everything works as expected. However, I will admit that I am used to some of the 64-bit issues, as my last OS was XP64, so having my serial driver for a USB-Serial interface not work isn't surprising.

Also, I have 2GB of ram, and its almost always in use. This doesn't seem to have lead to any issues. I will say that Outlook 07, Steam (and all its games like CS:S), and many of the larger apps (for example, I'm not talking about Word or Calculator or Solitare) seem to load somewhat faster than XP, which I assume may be related to the memory thing.

many of the larger apps seem to load somewhat faster than XP, which I assume may be related to the memory thing.

:) :) :)

And you would be correct! That is refreshing, it is really nice to see someone assume that Vista is actually doing something with your ram and not simply "hogging" it.

The more you use Vista, and the more you understand how it works, the more you'll find you like it.

Side note this... widescreen is just freaking sweet.
Isn't it?
The first time I got one, I was like "Spend the extra $30 to get it or not?"
A friend of mine just said- "Spend the extra money. Trust me." I did, and I loved it.

I will NEVER go back to a regular aspect screen.
After using Widescreen, everything looks so much better. More screen. Higher resolutions.

Whenever I do use a normal screen, it seems like everything is stretched vertically, and it looks like crap.

I've actually left everything in 'Vista' mode (contrary to using, for example, the 'Classic Control Panel' in XP, which is also available in Vista) and its actually not that bad, once u get used to it.
I think I was like you. I customized and changed about everything in XP, and really haven't touched a thing in Vista. The learning curve wasn't too bad.
I'm still surprised I managed to not touch a thing as far as customization goes (themes, settings, that sort of thing). Vista is just so well thought out- I just don't have a need to.
The only things I have changed is stuff like Power Options (Due to the fact my "mobile" PC isn't mobile- more used like a desktop than a notebook) and Wallpapers and such.

And you would be correct! That is refreshing, it is really nice to see someone assume that Vista is actually doing something with your ram and not simply "hogging" it.
I know. I was so surprised at this thread.

People are MUCH quicker to complain about something before praising it. Hence which is why products such as Vista always SEEM like they have more problems than they really do. Plus, most of the problems that are complained about aren't Vista's fault at all- but the User's own error.

The more you use Vista, and the more you understand how it works, the more you'll find you like it.
I can second this as well. Really, you could go on and on about Vista. It is such a big OS, so many new things it does (a ton of new stuff under the shell which most people won't appreciate)... it would take forever to talk about it.
The main thing I have been telling people... try it. I tell them to give it a couple weeks to get used to it, get it running and configured to how it will be, and they will like it.

Yes i'm using 64bit... i'm into oblivion right now and it seems to load quicker then xp. The one thing I would say annoys me is the start menu. Like how you click on All programs and it stays inside the menu... not a fan of that. Other then that sofar can't really see anything that I really just hate.

Back