• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My watercooling adventures

tulthix

n00b
Joined
Apr 27, 2006
Messages
6
I thought I'd post here and share my watercooling adventures. I started messing with water cooling about 10 months ago.

Original setup-

System (as of 6/2005)
====================
CPU: AMD venice 3200+
GPU: EVGA 6800GT (just one, no sli)
MB: Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe motherboard
RAM: PQI PQI3200-2048DP (2GB, 2 sticks)

I overclocked my 2.0 GHz to 2.4 GHz using the stock heatsink, and it ran at <46C I believe it was. I was fine with this. But! I noticed my GPU got up to 90C running rthdribl. I had to do something. My answer was a watercooling system.

Cooling (as of 6/2005)
====================
Pump: Eheim 1250 from dangenden
Tubing: 15 feet of Clearflex 60, 1/2 ID, 3/4 OD from Mcmastercarr
Radiator: 77 bonneville from dangerden with dangerden shrouds (2x120mm format)
CPU Block: NONE (ordered swiftech 6002, never got it)
GPU Block: dangerden maze4 GPU acetal top.
Radiator: I just used a T-line
Radiator Fans: Orion 120mm AC Fan, 26dBa, 50 CFM x2 (AC fans from Allied elect)

Basically, I ordered a mcw6002 from Jabtech. I somehow fudged the order and got the 3/8" fitting block. I RMAed for the 1/2" and after a few weeks never got it. So I ordered one straight off the swiftech site. 10 months later, never got either one back. Fun! Hrm!

In any case I got tired of waiting for a 6002 and I only needed the GPU cooling really, so I hooked it up with just GPU cooling.

Basically what I did was get a cat carrier and put it next to my case with most of the cooling parts it in. Its a plastic cat carrier with a screen top and screen back. The radiator & fan assembly is tie wrap mounted to the screen top of the cat carrier. The Eheim pump is in the cat carrier sitting on a folded over piece of bubble wrap. Without sitting on the wrap it was very loud. On the bubble wrap the pump is completely silent. I have a powerstrip mounted on the top of the cat carrier. The two AC 120mm fans are attached to it as well as the Eheim 1250. I can turn it off and on with this strip. The in and out water lines go out the frot of the cat carrier (which is facing back) and over to my computer case. I drilled 2 holes and used grommets ordered from mcmastercarr and fed them through to the GPU.

For hose clamps I ordered the spring steel clamps from McMaster. These sealed extremely well however they are a huge PITA. Next time I'll do the right thing and get worm clamps

I really liked the maze4 GPU build quality. Its nice looking and very hefty.

I filled the system with distilled water. I did NOT flush it first (oops). I added some iodine to kill anything in there. Basically it worked well, the GPU never gets over 44-45C. WAY better than 90C hehe.
 
My update after 10 or so months-

Ok, its been a while, and I want to overhaul my system and add a cpu cooler. Plus my Chipset fan died. The asus a8n-sli deluxe stock chipset fan is pure suck.

Taking the system apart I find some problems!
1) My tubing has fogged up white badly. Its not even close to transparent.
2) My GPU waterblock leaked!
3) corrosion?

I was surprised none of my barbs that I attached leaked. The Eheim still goes strong, no leaks, no leaks on the radiator. The cat carrier is bone dry.

I disassembled my GPU waterblock and found the problem. Apparently it leaked around the top of the O-ring. I don't know how that it possibly could but it did. It did not leak around the barbs. The mounting screws got all rusty and its ugly looking. Luckily it leaked straight down to the bottom of my case, and damaged nothing. It looked like a very slow gradual leak.

There is black corrosion (maybe deposits?) on the brass barbs of my radiator and the inside of my GPU block. I cleaned it off my radiator.

This is my main computer so I didn't want to be offline for long. I rushed to microcenter, and bought another DD maze4. Looking back a bit, I regret this. I wish I'd actually ordered a brass top maze4 from DD now. Why DD again when it leaked? The construction really is very solid and I think this is just a rare event. I don't see how an O-ring can leak like that, the design looks perfect.

Ok, I drain my system, and replace all of my tubing with 1/2 ID 3/4 OD masterkleer tubing. I have heard it will stay transparent. This time I used worm drive clamps. I learned the hard way during leak testing that you really have to knuckle the worm drive clamps down or they WILL leak!

I bought a Swiftech Apogee block. I am overall disappointed in this block. Its a nice looking block. I could not find any metal shavings in mine. The problem is the craptastic top and hose babs. The acetal (I think) top feels fragile, and the plastic hose barbs feel cheap as well. I had problems with it leaking around the threaded side of the hose barbs. The first time I used 2 turns of teflon tape on the barbs. It leaked. Basically, it does not screw in solidly, and when you try to mount it, the tubing torques it breaking the o-ring seal. I hate these barbs/block. So cheap compared to the DD maze 4. GRR!!! I'm even retesting now, this time I added 5-6 winds of tef tape, and I think the thing is STILL gradually leaking. What a PoS.

This time I add some zerex to my mix, and a drop of algacide from a pet store.
 
I have it running now. I overclocked my venice 3200+ LBBLE 0516 DPHW (IIRC!) to 2650 MHz @ 1.55ish V. Its prime stable up to 2.73 GHz. But for some reason, if I run rthdribl at the same time as prime95 it locks up. Oh, I thought I should mention this. DO NOT leave the Asus a8n-sli deluxe bios option: PCI frequency to auto. It doesn't lock it down. Set it to locked 33MHz, and it still won't lock unless you put the FSB at 201 or higher. I found this out the hard way.

I have my GPU up to 408/1070. I should mention during my leaktest I soaked my vid card in water. I dried it off and it still works fine. Also, I stepped on it at one point haha. This knocked off the ram sinks and bent all of the back maze4 GPU mounting screws. I had to use my rusty screws from my previous maze4. Surprisingly this EVGA 6800GT still works fine. Props to EVGA.

The cpu runs at 28ish idle and 38-39C loaded. The gpu is 40ish idle and 45C loaded. I am happy with these temps and OC. I run oblivion at 1280x1024 and its stable and smooth enough for me with 2xAA 2xaniso and bloom on. I like it.
 
Back
Top