My Vista Upgrade installation...continuous loop...?!

Parker

Limp Gawd
Installed Vista 32 bit on my comp last night and left it alone during the install. However, I noticed that when it rebooted and said it will now initialize for the first time it went to the blue error screen. The screen stays up for only 1-2 seconds if that so I can't read what the problem is. The blue screen goes away and the comp reboots. This time it goes to an option screen for whether I want to run in safe mode or not. If I don't touch anything it'll auto pick normal mode in which it will appear to begin windows and then just reboot. So if I left the computer alone it will continuously do this weird loop of reboots. After realizing what's going on I figured I'd try to load windows up from safe mode and fix it from there. As soon as I pick safe mode it comes back and says windows cannot load into safe mode until install is completed...that's a deadend. So at one point during my loop, the screen will ask for a few seconds to press any key to boot from disk so I tried that. It allows me to run system repair from the disk. I let it do this over night and checked it first thing this morning and the comp was STILL searching for any problems. I figured perhaps the program froze up so I cancelled and restarted the scan. I'll check the status after work today. Any opinions on this situation? I know lots of people are having issues but I hadn't seen any that had this issue yet. My system specs are in my signature.

If the system restore is still searching by the time I get home, should I just cancel it and try to boot from the disk and do an initial install...if it'll let me? I think the whole OS is already installed, it's just messed up somehow. :confused:

I have had the same problem with xp before. ( i installed vista fine) Redo the install and see. I think that there was a system file copies wrong. if that does not work the disc could be bad. (i had xp mce 05 disc's bad before)

After doing some research in some older threads I think I may have found a mistake I'd made. My copy is Vista Business 32Bit. The screen that asks for a clean install or an upgrade, I chose upgrade. I believe that I was supposed to choose clean install. I also saw in the threads that more than likely I should be trying the install by booting from the disk instead of initiating it in XP.
To fix this problem, do I need to reformat the drive & then try to reinstall or can I do without the reformat? I wasn't wanting to but if that's the only way...

The same thing happened to me when I tried to install Vista on my girlfriend's laptop. I tried to upgrade XP three times and everytime I got the BSOD that went by too fast for me to read anything other than the word "Vendor". I tried uninstalling all of the software it said would not be compatible along with the video card drivers and still could not get it to work. You can undo the installation and go back to XP, which is really nice if you need to use the computer and don't have time to try another install. I finally just booted from the dvd, did a custom install and it is has worked perfectly ever since.

You don't have to format the drive, you can do the custom install. It puts your old Windows installation in a "windows.old" folder. The upgrade to Vista Business 64-bit worked fine for my roommate on his laptop but upgrading to Home Premium 32-bit didn't on my girlfriend's.

How do you undo the installation? I hate to sound so newbish but previous Windows installs never gave me this much trouble.

How do you undo the installation? I hate to sound so newbish but previous Windows installs never gave me this much trouble.

Also, I'm trying to find out as much as I can right now because I only have that one comp at the house. So no internet/advice until I get it running or tomorrow when I come back to work. :eek:

Back