• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My upgrade plans, need feedback please.

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 10, 2000
Messages
6,849
Current system is in Sig.
I can't upgrade all at once so I will be giving what I think is a good path for the upgrades I would like to make.
I have to replace my monitor, it is acting up so it comes first.
Asus VW266H I may also be able to get a new video card with it. Probably a XFX 5770

Next month:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition I am thinking my curent EVGA Freezer 64 Pro will have to work for now. I am not planning on overclocking much if at all. (this is the best CPU I can get that is compatible with my current MB)

After that I would like to upgrade to Windows 7. I don't have any problems with Vista 64 so its not a big priorty.

These upgrades will just about max out what my motherboard can handle. I might get a second 5770 if I need more later. After this I will be saving up for a completely new system
 
Although I'm not sure of the quality of the Ultra X3 psu you have, I'm fairly sure since it is 1000w it should be able to push something like the GTX 460, which is what I would suggest over the 5770. It is about $30-40 more but it is also the min I would suggest for playing at 1080p.

I've never heard of an EVGA freezer 64 pro, do you mean arctic cooling? It's not exactly the best cooler but I believe it would still be better than the stock cooler.
 
Although I'm not sure of the quality of the Ultra X3 psu you have, I'm fairly sure since it is 1000w it should be able to push something like the GTX 460, which is what I would suggest over the 5770. It is about $30-40 more but it is also the min I would suggest for playing at 1080p.

I've never heard of an EVGA freezer 64 pro, do you mean arctic cooling? It's not exactly the best cooler but I believe it would still be better than the stock cooler.

Its proabaly just a rebadged version Arctic Cooling freezer 64pro. I think the only differance is the EVGA sticker on the top.

The Ultra X3s are actually very good power supplies, they even got a gold award from [H]ardOCP.

The reason I would like to stay with an ATI video card is that my MB can do Crossfire and I was thinking I could always get a second 5770 to help with future games. The games I am currently playing run fine with my 3870. Don't plan on getting anything newer for a while. Will be getting Diablo 3 when it comes out but that will be a while. But I will look further into the GTX 460.
 
I've never even heard of EVGA making heatsinks, either way, it should be fine for your purpose. With your monitor (assuming its 1680x1050) crossfire is just a waste. I would suggest getting the more powerful card now and by the time you think you will need to SLI (not until you upgrade your monitor), you most likely will have replaced your motherboard and when you replace it you can choose to get one with SLI support.
 
For 1080P gaming, you'll probably want an HD5850 instead of the 5770, depending on the newer games you plan on playing.

btw, yhpm.
 
Back
Top