• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My ultra OC's like

legcramp

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
12,439
hey u guys knoe the reason why my 6800ultra overclocks like crap? i have an antec 450wPS and 2 harddrives 5 fans specs are in my sig... anyways my ultra only clocks to 430 and the memory at like 1.4ghz or so.... any reason why its so low? and is my power suply not powering enough power for the extra juice? or i just got another crappy overclock.... (same as for my old 9800xt) i have such bad luck..
 
aZn_plyR said:
hey u guys knoe the reason why my 6800ultra overclocks like crap? i have an antec 450wPS and 2 harddrives 5 fans specs are in my sig... anyways my ultra only clocks to 430 and the memory at like 1.4ghz or so.... any reason why its so low? and is my power suply not powering enough power for the extra juice? or i just got another crappy overclock.... (same as for my old 9800xt) i have such bad luck..

Dude, the core is a LITTLE lower then some ppl are getting, but you have no right to be complaining. If you actually took a few minutes to look around to see what other ppl are getting you'd realise that this thread is kinda pointless. If your card was stock 400MHz it isn't THAT bad at all, and the memory is very nice.....however I've seen some Ultra's shipping with like 425MHz cores recently, so if that's the case then i dunno what to say.....maybe you could clarify on your card.

Take off the stock cooler, clean off the core/ram and apply some AS5. You could look at some form of extra cooling for the card, but all in all it's not that bad (unless your stock core WAS 425) and you should be quite happy with your card.
 
sdk said:
Please use .'s and propper structure

Are you actually talking to me about sentence structure and punctuation? I guess you just maybe havent been around long enough to know that that ain't gonna happen bro. :p No offence, but I type what I'm thinking...and I don't think with proper structure and punctuation.....sry, but you'll have to get used to it, cus I'm around here quite a bit. ;)
 
well yeah my ultra was stock 425 lol and the 5mhz increase... well i am gonna try and run two power supply and see if it goes any higher, but if it dont o well i am still happy.
 
aZn_plyR said:
well yeah my ultra was stock 425 lol and the 5mhz increase... well i am gonna try and run two power supply and see if it goes any higher, but if it dont o well i am still happy.

There's the spirit.....no need to think there's anything wrong with your card...overclocking is, and will always be a complete gamble, the card works exactly how it's sposed to, and you just weren't so lucky this time with the OC. Oh well, maybe next time. ;)
 
The overclock on your ram is insaine. Haven't seen anyone hit 1400mhz on ram with stock cooling. Hell I couldn't even hit 1200 completely stable without adding more voltage.

If you really want more of an overclock get a bios that adds .1volts to the gpu that should get you to 450 or more.


Edit: Btw I couldn't get a stable overclock on both videocard and cpu until I changed my power supply from an Antec True Power 430 to an OCZ 520. The ultra sucks a lot of power I guess...
 
btf said:
If you really want more of an overclock get a bios that adds .1volts to the gpu that should get you to 450 or more.

Not the best advice in the world bro....the Ultra is already running at 1.4v, the GT is the one running at the lower 1.3v. Trying to run an Ultra or GT at 1.5v on stock cooling is NOT a good idea.....it's something that you save for water cooling, hell.....I'm not even sure if I'd bother giving it a shot with my NV5, 'cus the temps jump another 10C or so on load when you go from 1.4v up to 1.5v.......just a word of warning.
 
cornelious0_0 said:
Not the best advice in the world bro....the Ultra is already running at 1.4v, the GT is the one running at the lower 1.3v. Trying to run an Ultra or GT at 1.5v on stock cooling is NOT a good idea.....it's something that you save for water cooling, hell.....I'm not even sure if I'd bother giving it a shot with my NV5, 'cus the temps jump another 10C or so on load when you go from 1.4v up to 1.5v.......just a word of warning.


I'm running the ultra @1.5v with stock cooling :D

Temperature went from 56 idle to 58 idle. Full load went from 76 to 81C. I run my case open though. I prefer doing that than running 8 fans in a case. Stock cooling on the BFG ultra seems really good.

They were going to sell ultra extreme which were @1.5v with stock cooling no? Don't know why they backed out though.
 
Well the temperature results I had seen were most likely from ppl pushing the GT's all the way to 1.5v....so I guess it doesn't surprise me that the Ultra heatsink can handle it. I might give it a go with the NVSilencer still, just to see what it'll do.....or if the card can take it at all. :p
 
Temperatures can be an issue, I wouldn't of done it with a GT seeing as they don't have the same cooling.

I would love to get my hands on a watercooling setup the card will pass coolbits test up to 490/1250 but has aritifacts in 3dmark. Down the road I might get a Danger Den block. I think it could do much more 475/1250 should be easily attainable. Maybe even 500/1300 :cool:
 
wow, dude, 500 core...that would be insanity...good luck with that :p, don't kill it, that's like $500 down the drain....that's why I am OCing my 9800 Pro, its only $200...but for x-mas, i think an x800-xt PE is in stock for me...or a new a64...decisions, decisions...
 
Alex41290 said:
wow, dude, 500 core...that would be insanity...good luck with that :p, don't kill it, that's like $500 down the drain....that's why I am OCing my 9800 Pro, its only $200...but for x-mas, i think an x800-xt PE is in stock for me...or a new a64...decisions, decisions...

BFG sold water cooled models @470mhz. 500 doesn't seem that far fetched.
 
sorry, by insanity i didn't mean "yeah right" i meant "sweet benches"...sorry for the non-clarification
 
btf said:
Temperatures can be an issue, I wouldn't of done it with a GT seeing as they don't have the same cooling.

I would love to get my hands on a watercooling setup the card will pass coolbits test up to 490/1250 but has aritifacts in 3dmark. Down the road I might get a Danger Den block. I think it could do much more 475/1250 should be easily attainable. Maybe even 500/1300 :cool:

That would be nice indeed.....my GT's memory is already doing 1300.....and I'm thinking that if I can give it an Ultra BIOS modded to 1.5v with a NV68 block on its own loop i might be able to come close to 500 too.....475 at least....but that just might not be enough to keep me happy. ;) :p
 
You guys got me jealious with your ram running that quick :)

Maybe its 2.0ns ram instead of 1.6ns? Who knows...
 
Funny thing is mine IS 2.0ns....it won't pass coolbits at 1300MHz....but it benches just fine, artifact free. Powerstrip is the only app that won't make me test teh clocks and it maxes out at 1300.....gotta find somethign else to see if i can go higher yet. :p
 
cornelious0_0 said:
Funny thing is mine IS 2.0ns....it won't pass coolbits at 1300MHz....but it benches just fine, artifact free. Powerstrip is the only app that won't make me test teh clocks and it maxes out at 1300.....gotta find somethign else to see if i can go higher yet. :p


I got the ultra from the 1st store in Canada that got the Ultra's. It came in an plain white box that most reviewers got. I heard that early models have the 1.6ns and later models have 2.0.

Only way to tell is to remove the heatsink/fan but unless I'm replacing it I won't be taking it off.
 
Don't ALL Ultra cards have 1.6ns ram? I thought that was the one difference between the two.....aside from the core voltage being .1 higher.
 
cornelious0_0 said:
Don't ALL Ultra cards have 1.6ns ram? I thought that was the one difference between the two.....aside from the core voltage being .1 higher.

People have taken off their heatsinks off of ultra's and found 2.0ns ram. So I'm not sure.

Edit: It would make sense that the 2.0ns would overclock more and there doesn't seem to be any performance difference. I've seen benchmarks of GT's clocked at ultra speeds and they were identicle.
 
btf said:
It would make sense that the 2.0ns would overclock more

How in the world does THAT make sense? Lower ns ratings are better for higher clock rates, not the other way around.
 
cornelious0_0 said:
How in the world does THAT make sense? Lower ns ratings are better for higher clock rates, not the other way around.

Correct me if i'm wrong but couldn't you compare ns to like memory timmings. The less tight they are the more of an overclock you can get?
 
btf said:
Correct me if i'm wrong but couldn't you compare ns to like memory timmings. The less tight they are the more of an overclock you can get?

No......not correct.

Higher ns ratings yield slower clock rates.....an vise versa. I know it might seem like it'd make sense to have it the other way, but lower ns ratings equate to higher clock rates, not lower.

EDIT: Go dig up the specs on an older Ti4200 or something, older cards carry far higher ns ratings....often in the range of 4 or 5 if you go back a few generations......and what a cooincidence.....there's memory was clocked lower. No hard feelings, but higher ns is bad.
 
ah, i see...i don't have a Ti4200, but i know about the specs of old cards (was stuck with a 9200se the 64-bit one...playing the ut2003 demo HAHAHA!!! :p)

well, how do u find out the ns of ur memory? only by looking at the core?
 
cornelious0_0 said:
No......not correct.

Higher ns ratings yield slower clock rates.....an vise versa. I know it might seem like it'd make sense to have it the other way, but lower ns ratings equate to higher clock rates, not lower.

EDIT: Go dig up the specs on an older Ti4200 or something, older cards carry far higher ns ratings....often in the range of 4 or 5 if you go back a few generations......and what a cooincidence.....there's memory was clocked lower. No hard feelings, but higher ns is bad.

I was just assuming the same logic that applied to ram would apply to GDDR. I'll trade you my 1.6ns ram for your 2.0ns ram :D ......... j/k
 
Alex41290 said:
ah, i see...i don't have a Ti4200, but i know about the specs of old cards (was stuck with a 9200se the 64-bit one...playing the ut2003 demo HAHAHA!!! :p)

well, how do u find out the ns of ur memory? only by looking at the core?

Only way is to look at the last # on the ram chips themselves if it ends with 16 its 1.6ns if it ends with 20....
 
You have to look at the physical memory chip and then go dig up the specs on that chip......it doesn't always just end in 16 for 1.6ns and 20 for 2ns......cus mine is 2ns and it ends in 22. Nothing's as simple as it could be eh? :p
 
Why did an overlocking thread get moved from overclocking forum to videocard :confused:
 
btf said:
Why did an overlocking thread get moved from overclocking forum to videocard :confused:

We're spending the whole time talking about ns ratings on cards and teh initial topic isnt even being addressed......kinda makes sense....but w/e.
 
Wait a second, maybe I was being a dork and only looked at the top RIGHT corner at the 422 and not below where it actually has the ns listed. :p
 
cornelious0_0 said:
Wait a second, maybe I was being a dork and only looked at the top RIGHT corner at the 422 and not below where it actually has the ns listed. :p

This is going to eat at you... until you remove your heatsink and check again isn't it?
 
Sorry it's out of topic, but i want to see BFG extreme ultra core. Is it the same? And also early production of 6800U(msi/gigabyte) seems to draw more power f/ psu compared to the newer PNY core. W/o a really good psu it was hard for me to reach high oc.
 
centvalny said:
Sorry it's out of topic, but i want to see BFG extreme ultra core. Is it the same? And also early production of 6800U(msi/gigabyte) seems to draw more power f/ psu compared to the newer PNY core. W/o a really good psu it was hard for me to reach high oc.

I have a BFG 6800 Ultra early model. Maybe that's why I couldn't overclock both my cpu and videocard with my antec 430... This ocz 520 works perfectly.
 
i don't go for overclocking, just running at specs & getting as fast as i can from that :D
but i have heard some chips don't overclock as much as others, it's prettymuch just a shoot in the dark...

a huge hsf and some nanotherm xtc would probably help, but i wouldn't know... my 3 computers are cheep, 1 dell box, 1 emachines, and a 2 year old toshiba laptop that needs serious help :rolleyes:

but i know how you feel... none of my comps run the games i'd like to play, at least not correctly... :(
 
btf said:
I have a BFG 6800 Ultra early model. Maybe that's why I couldn't overclock both my cpu and videocard with my antec 430... This ocz 520 works perfectly.
I think so. My PNY reached 490/1250 no problem(w/ swiftech MCW50), but w/ MSI it was hard even w/ ANTEC 550. I have to go dual w/ Antec 550 for Motherboard/6800U/water pump/h.drves and anything else w/ Antec 480.
 
centvalny said:
I think so. My PNY reached 490/1250 no problem(w/ swiftech MCW50), but w/ MSI it was hard even w/ ANTEC 550. I have to used 550 for Motherboard/6800U/water pump/h.drves and anything else w/ Antec 480.

I tried using 2 power supplies as a test before I bought the ocz 520.

I used a cheap 300watt to power only the 6800 ultra. When I started it up a small puff of smoke came out of it!!! :eek: I thought I had fried my ultra but it was fine.

I'm really liking this ocz, my cpu overclock went up 50mhz.


Edit: What do you run your ultra at with the Danger Den?
 
Back
Top