My two new file servers

fibroptikl

Supreme [H]ardness
It does not meet the requirements for the "Post your 10TB+ systems" thread, but that's OK. I don't need massive amounts of storage as most of my stuff is music, and some various media (some tv, a few dvd's). I don't keep a copy of every DVD or Blu-ray I own so that keeps my storage requirements fairly low.

A little history - started off in early March asking vendors for some free stuff (RAID card's). Finally got everything towards the end of March and was going to order the stuff I needed to start (power supply, heatsink for fans) but then I got chickenpox ... at age 25. I never got it as a kid. Spend 3 days in the hospital. About a month later I finally resume work on the server and was hoping to finish by the end of the first week of May. I wish! I finished I'd say just a few days ago. Things such as lack of motivation, random odd issues, summer and just not being into it. But they are completed.

Server 1 is the main one that I connect to and all Server 2 does is just mirror Server 1 for backup. The first one also runs a virtual machine in VMware Workstation 6.5.2. The virtual machine is Windows XP Pro SP3 running my IRC software - Klient, uTorrent and an FTP client. It is something I can leave on (since my server is on 24/7) and shut down my desktop when I'm not using it (which sometimes is not much). So far it works good. And when I need to get into my network when I'm away (which is usually to check on one of the above programs or grab a file). For a very low cash outlay - they are working pretty good - and I plan to use them for about a year - waiting for 2TB drives to drop then I'll go to two Promise or D-Link NAS appliances.

Front: (on the left is Server 2, Server 1 is on the right - the main one)

servers.jpg

Server 1:
CoolerMaster CMStacker
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V
Intel S500PSLSAS 5000P
Intel Xeon 5160 3GHz Dual Core
Apacer 78.ADG9H.401 2GB DDR2-667 FB-DIMM (x2)
Hitachi 15K 300GB SAS
Seagate Barrcuda ES.2 1TB (In CoolerMaster 4-in-3's - the new ones) (x6 in RAID5 - 4.5TB of useable space - 400MB/sec writes 16MB 100% sequential via Iometer)
Intel SRCSASJV RAID Card
Intel AXXRSBBU3 Battery Backup Unit
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard 64-bit SP2

s1-side.jpg

Server 2:
CoolerMaster CMStacker
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V
Intel SE7520BD2
Intel Xeon 3.4Ghz Nocona (x2)
Apacer 1GB DDR2-533 ECC Reg (x8)
Hitachi 15K 300GB SAS (for OS)
Seagate Barrcuda ES.2 1TB (In CoolerMaster 4-in-3's - the new ones) (x6)
LSI MegaRAID SAS 8708EM2
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard 64-bit SP2

s2-side.jpg

Just thought I'd share.

Haha, yeah free stuff is always good!! These days it's always a wrestling match with my power bill though, so I have to take it easy or it gets out of control, lol...

Back