My trip to Walmart...

mpcamer1220

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I dont go there much, but today I did... I was walking down an isle when... I saw... SEVERAL AMDs. :eek:

There were Emachines, Compaqs and some HP computers... Some had Sempr0ns, some had A64 3000s, 3200s and even a few 3400s! :cool:

I was in total shock, a full isle of AMD prebuilts at WALMART. The funny thing was, there were no Intels. Who would have though that Walmart would carry these?

And those were just the desktops, all of the laptops had AMDs too!

Discuss.

Ive heard of people going in real late with a screwdriver and makin the machines.....processorless.....

Rguy said:
Ive heard of people going in real late with a screwdriver and makin the machines.....processorless.....

It's almost justified. I mean, there could be real gems in those machines just achin to be overclocked and will never ever see their full potential.

Oh god I almost tried to justify stealing what have I done with my life :(

Yeah I've seen them a few months back but my local WM still has some of those crappy Celerons.

mpcamer1220 said:
Ok, I dont go there much, but today I did... I was walking down an isle when... I saw... SEVERAL AMDs. :eek:

There were Emachines, Compaqs and some HP computers... Some had Sempr0ns, some had A64 3000s, 3200s and even a few 3400s! :cool:

I was in total shock, a full isle of AMD prebuilts at WALMART. The funny thing was, there were no Intels. Who would have though that Walmart would carry these?

And those were just the desktops, all of the laptops had AMDs too!

Discuss.

I have seen this as well

WalMart is all about price. AMDs generally cost less for the same PR rating as Intel, especially for the Socket A's and low end mobos. Even a few dollars will make the difference to a typical WalMart computer consumer.

CrimandEvil said:
Yeah I've seen them a few months back but my local WM still has some of those crappy Celerons.
Yeah me too, but last time it was just one sempron and a whole bunch of celerons. Now they have A64s and some Semprons. It was suprising to not see any Celerons :eek:

robberbaron said:
It's almost justified. I mean, there could be real gems in those machines just achin to be overclocked and will never ever see their full potential.

Oh god I almost tried to justify stealing what have I done with my life :(

If you do that, and then hook them up to F@H, and it ends up helping save countless lives, is it justified? :(

aren't they on a network already at wallmart? why not just leave the rigs be and put FAH on them without stealing :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
aren't they on a network already at wallmart? why not just leave the rigs be and put FAH on them without stealing :p

They are? Sweet!

Now if only we could get Walmart to go omniborg the way Google did with their toolbar...

is this a by-product of the company's purchase byGateway?

I know recently Gateway said that it would increase the incorporation of AMD chips into its systems. In fact, they stated that the company will at least "double" the no. of AMD-based systems it begins to manufacture and ship. So to find them in an emachines is not surprising. Finding it at wal-mart, though, is!

Maybe emachines will be the AMD label and Hateway will be the co's Intel label :p

I work at wal-mart, and all we have in electronics are AMD computers. Semperons and Athlon 64's. I think it is a good sign for AMD when you start seeing them in thousands of wal-marts.

mpcamer1220 said:
Yeah, isn't Walmart one of the top electronic stores around?

Thats a negative :p What's walmart? Like a Newegg for people that actually leave the computer chair?

Actually, wally world is ok. By the time you ship stuff online, walmart is sometimes a better deal. I'll have to get down there and see all these marvels of AMD computing!

(cf)Eclipse said:
yea... too bad thats kinda illegal and totally against the rules... nice try though. maybe next time. :p

OMG, I was there yesterday and right acrost the isle from about 12 AMD demo computers there were 5 eVGA 6800 GT's (all AGP :D ) and 9 PNY 6600 GT's (All AGP but one :p )

Wow, Wallmart is now awsome :eek:

Walmart was never awesome, they pay out-of-country workers less than $1 per day to create some of their merchandise, according to a news report. :eek: :(

NickN said:
Walmart was never awesome, they pay out-of-country workers less than $1 per day to create some of their merchandise, according to a news report. :eek: :(

If they don't, the customers (i.e. americans) would bitch about the high prices. It's a stupid cycle as a result of other countries not being as free as the united states :(

apHytHiaTe said:
Actually, wally world is ok. By the time you ship stuff online, walmart is sometimes a better deal.
They had two harddrives on clearance too, a Seagate 40gb and an 80gb. They were both $38 :rolleyes: :p

Unknown-One said:
OMG, I was there yesterday and right acrost the isle from about 12 AMD demo computers there were 5 eVGA 6800 GT's (all AGP :D ) and 9 PNY 6600 GT's (All AGP but one :p )

are you serious??? lol.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm hehehhehhehhehheehhehe

Unknown-One said:

I dont know if i even believe that. www.walmart.com dont even have those graphics cards.

NickN said:
The one thing everyone forgets is this: if Walmart and other companies weren't employing them, they'd be making no money.

As for Walmart selling this stuff....I was just in two different ones three days ago, one had an MX4000 or something. The other didn't have jack.

Our walmarts suck ass..Full of mexicans, they don't care about computers..So we don't even have any computer section with prebuilts at all, they just throw a couple old crap mice on the floor and some noname keyboards in there too. Literally on the floor...It sux, I have to drive all the way down south a ways to get to circuit city or bestbuy, but that sux to because of the prices. Then I discovered some nice online sites! :D

Borgschulze said:
You got somethin' against Semprons boy?
I speak on his behalf when I say yes, he does. He wants to fight you and your limp 32 bits to the death!

apHytHiaTe said:
I speak on his behalf when I say yes, he does. He wants to fight you and your limp 32 bits to the death!

Try harder... Limp 256K Cache is what you want to say. :D
Limp 256K Cache of Pwnage in UT2K4... :cool:
Eat my UT2K4 score today.

EDIT: I forgot smileys, you know, so people from the Video Card forum don't come and attack me again... :rolleyes:

NickN said:

If they didn't prices would be high here which would lead to Americans not buying shit from them which would in turn slow our economy down which would make everyone poor. I'm all for the paying them $1.00 a day. Makes our country greater. :D But thats for the soapbox...anywho, to the OP, The walmart here has tons of AMD based systems and the laptops have Nvidia stickers on them too:)

NickN said:
What brand of shoes do you wear? Nike, Adidas...etc...

What isn't made out of country...the computer that you're posting from is a mix of parts that were made in some other country...unless you live in SE Asia...

You find that shocking? I found it shocking the fact that Wal-Mart even sold computers when I first noticed it back in like 2002.

Back