"My Town" (Link to panorama w/ flash-interface)

Tim_axe

Gawd
I shot (and printed) this panorama because I wanted to enter something big into my school's arts fest. At 12x96 inches, I didn't see anything rivaling it's size. And it sure kept the attention of a lot of people debating where their houses were in it... :)

"Moscow, ID" -- Panorama by Cliff
(Click image)

(There is a Flash Interface that handles loading / zooming / panning the file. Normal use shouldn't eat up much bandwidth as the file is fragmented to optimize loading only the parts being viewed or zoomed into)

The size that I printed is 1,708x13,662 pixels, netting 142DPI at 12x96 (1:8). The full size, which I couldn't justify printing due to the cost, is 2,402x21,622 pixels, or 133DPI at 18x162 (1:9). The version on my website is the full version resized down to 2000x18,000.

At 51 Megapixels, it doesn't really come close to that gigapixel/custom large-format film camera, but it's my largest pano so far. Cheers :)

BTW, it took many hours to process due to a tremendous amound of disk thrashing going on while rendering it into a "flat" file, plus all of the point matching that I did manually...

Technical details: I shot it with my 85mm f/1.8 lens as it was the longest lens I have, but in the future I hope to take another panorama of another nearby city with a 70-200mm lens (after I get one) + 1.4x teleconvertor (after I get a 70-200mm lens).

Back