My temporary solution for the Intel design defect.

I'm using all the 6gb/s ports for the hard drives (2x250gb in Raid0) and 2x640gb as backup. Using the 3gb/s (red sata) for the DVD drive.

IMG_2891.jpg

sounds good sir. hope you dont run out of luck.

let us know if one of them breaks so we know if its the 6gb ports or the 3gb ports goin bad.

sounds good sir. hope you dont run out of luck.

let us know if one of them breaks so we know if its the 6gb ports or the 3gb ports goin bad.

He will be good to go - I have been unable to break the 6 Gb/s ports as of yet. :p

So those navy blue ports are the Marvell chipset right? How's the performance on those? I'll be putting a 1TB drive on it just for movies/tv stuff.

I'm running 3gb/s drives on them and they seems fast. Though I wish I had newer drives that support 6gb/s so that I can fully take advantage of them.

Funny. I thought I only had 6 ports to begin with. Thanks to OP I find I have 8, therefore all is settled as I only have 2 HDs and one DVD drive.

Sounds like a fine solution. I'm not too afraid about those 3g ports on the short term.

I am doing the same thing on my UD7.

Native Sata3 have my two Kingston 64gb SSD in raid 0, two other drives on the marvel ports and my DVD burner and Bluray burner on the native SATA 2 ports. They won't get much traffic, so i am not concerned...

im confused.

- so the dark blue two ports are marvell 6gbps ports. those are safe to use and are back compatible with sata 2 hard drives, but NOT sata 2 dvd drives right?

- the two white ports are 6gbps intel chipset based which are flawed. right?

- the 4 light blue ports are sata 2 intel chipset ports which are flawed as well
is this all correct?

okay, has anyone done any extensive testing with burning/reading from dvd drives on the faulty sata 2 ports?
i think the best method would be to burn a dvd at a reasonable slower speed and do a data error check after its been burned.

My understanding is that the dark blue and the white are 6gb/s sata ports. The light blues one are 3gb/s sata ports. The intel design defect affect the 3gb/s sata ports. Correct me if i'm wrong.

im confused.

- so the dark blue two ports are marvell 6gbps ports. those are safe to use and are back compatible with sata 2 hard drives, but NOT sata 2 dvd drives right?

Running my sata2 dvd optical drive just fine on the Marvell ports. Is there some known issue or link to info about one I should know about?

Not exactly a unique solution, newegg recommended the same thing in their video from yesterday- move your optical drives to the "bad" ports since they be affected by the degradation if it starts. It seemed like a common sense thing to do.

My HDs were already on the 6Gb ports (duh), my optical drives were already on the "bad" ports and my case sata ports were already on the Marvell ports.
Posted via Mobile Device

Top 4 are fine, bottom 4 are bad basically.
The top two are Marvell driven, while the bottom 6 are Intel.
This might be different on other boards though.
Posted via Mobile Device

According to the manual for the ASUS P8P67 PRO:

Top of Board
2 Navy ports - Marvell 6Gbs
2 Gray ports - Intel 6Gbs
2 Blue Blue Ports - Intel 3Gbs
2 Blue Blue Ports - Intel 3Gbs

Bottom of Board
Posted via Mobile Device

Is there any issue with plugging in DVD drives into the MARVELL ports?

Have heard twice now that they are incompatible...but I am using mine fine after moving it over...
Posted via Mobile Device

- the two white ports are 6gbps intel chipset based which are flawed. right?

- the 4 light blue ports are sata 2 intel chipset ports which are flawed as well
is this all correct?

No, the white/gray 6Gbs Intel ports are NOT flawed.

The 4 light blue ports (Intel 3Gbs ports) are.

The problem in the chipset was traced back to a transistor in the 3Gbps PLL clocking tree. The aforementioned transistor has a very thin gate oxide, which allows you to turn it on with a very low voltage. Unfortunately in this case Intel biased the transistor with too high of a voltage, resulting in higher than expected leakage current. Depending on the physical characteristics of the transistor the leakage current here can increase over time which can ultimately result in this failure on the 3Gbps ports. The fact that the 3Gbps and 6Gbps circuits have their own independent clocking trees is what ensures that this problem is limited to only ports 2 - 5 off the controller.

Ports 2-5 are the Intel 3Gbs ports.

On my Deluxe board, the bad ports are labelled 3-6.
Posted via Mobile Device

You're reading it wrong (or they are somehow mislabled).

The port numbering starts at 0, not 1.

Your good ports are- 0,1,2,3. Ports 4,5,6,7 are bad on your motherboard- the 4 light blue ones on the bottom.

Where do you read it then?

Because in the manual and on the board they are labelled:

Intel 6GBps - 1,2

Intel 3GBps - 3,4,5,6

Marvell 6GBps - E1, E2
Posted via Mobile Device

That's fine. That particular manufacturer just decided to label them the way a human would, rather than a computer that would start with 0. Just make sure the first two are the 6Gbps.

I think if they are labelled SATA6G_1 and SATA6G_2....then they are the 6Gbps...lol.

Thats the same setup I am running as well. I figure if the optical drive is on a bad port, oh well. I only use that drive now and again anyway.

hmm. okay. i was thinking any sata port running off the cougar chipset is flawed regardless if its 6gb or 3gb

I'm using all the 6gb/s ports for the hard drives (2x250gb in Raid0) and 2x640gb as backup. Using the 3gb/s (red sata) for the DVD drive.

IMG_2891.jpg

I'm going the opposite route.

I loaded up (4) SATA 3 WD 1TB Caviar Blacks on my SATA3 ports and made a RAID0 array and put all my user data and profiles & everything on it. The SSDs on the P67 SATA6 ports hold only the OS.

I think mine will last until April until the swap out occurs.

If it doesn't I'm not sweating it.

I use a backup program to backup my RAID array to a 2TB drive on the Marvell SATA6 port. That way, if the RAID array does eat the dust, I can simply unplug the RAID array and go into Disk Manager to change the drive letter of the 2TB drive to "E"

Back