My system sounds like a jet engine

tunaman

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 10, 2002
Messages
2,150
I have been getting really annoyed by how loud my computer is as of late so I looked at each fan individually and compared noise. I am using a fanbus so it helps, but not by much. I have a Panaflo FBA09A12M 92mm fan that puts out 30db sitting on a SLK900a heat sink. I have 2 80 mm Chieftec D80SL-12 80mm fans blowing air out at 26db each. I then have an Enermax 120 mm fan that I can barely hear so I know that is not my problem. On top of that, I there is a fan on top of the chipset of my Abit NF7-S mobo that I think is one of the main culprits. So my question is: is there a replacement for the Chipset fan available that is quieter? And, can I improve upon my case and cpu cooling?
 
If you aren´t overclocking you can probably passively cool the northbridge without a problem. A Zalman NB-47 would be enough really. And you can put a heatpipe on your video card.
 
You'd hate my system. I have 5 80mm led fans, a 120mm fan that spits out a huge cfm, and a 92mm tornado to top it all off :) . This is not even counting the two 80mm fans in my psu.
 
How about with OCing though? Right now I run a 2100 that is not OCed and it idles at 45C (does that sound right with an SLK900?). I would like to bump this thing up to a 333 FSB at least, although I am working on a deal for a Barton 3000. I don't know if those OC or not, but if they do I would like to try a little bump. If I did a little bit of OCing would passive cooling be ok, or would i need some air cooling for it?
 
One thing people seem to forget is airflow. Having a bunch of fans all blowing in different directions effectively WORSENS the cooling going on inside your case.

You should really look at using ducts inside your case. These can get extremely complex (like what you see inside Apple's G5), but they can also be very simple. My ducting is made out of cardboard. It cost me less than half a cent, and fifteen minutes to make.

So get rid of a few fans and fix your flow. :D
 
Go to Silent PC Review for the skinny on quieting your PC. My ears (and my wife) have thanked me repeatedly for the learning I did there.

also listen to Bullseye_Blam. Many times all more fans do is add more noise as they screw up the airflow in your case.
 
Back
Top