I'm at a Bank doing consulting (yeah I know my first mistake, I knew I shouldn't have broken the rule).
But they have two guys that used to build Windows XP "Gold" images for the 4000+ pc's here but they got bumped from doing it and management brought me in almost two months ago.
Everything is working great, and I've had a good image posted to the technicians (About 10 of them) to deploy on themselves and test the image.
One of the guys that I've replaced to do this job has been assigned to working with me on the specific corporate problems with applications and such that I'm obviously unfamilar with (homegrown apps/processes).
They realized I didn't have a JVM installed on the image which was due to the fact no one could ever give me an answer on what version of it (MS or SUN) I should go with so I left it off until someone whined about it.
Now the "System Engineer" assigned to me tells me John Doe can't connect to some web based Domino server yada yada problem with missing Microsoft JVM. I say "Yeah sure I'll go out and get it stick it on a test box and give it a shot no biggie." His response was "Oh well MS doesn't have that anymore so how about you uninstall IE and we'll use one of our old packaged installs (which were for XPSP1) and then it'll have the proper plug-ins and configs because we don't have any documentation on what is in there but if we don't do that I think we'll have a lot of problems".
I had to contain a laugh cause here I have a working XPSP2 (slipstreamed disc right from MS) and everything works flawless, all we need to do is identify what plugins and JVM's we need and go about things the right way.
I thought I'd just share this with you guys and see if I'm some big headed pompus a** for thinking what I thought when he told me, cause I'm not going to spend 5 mins on uninstalling a perfectly good IE on a corporate gold image to install some outdated packaged IE... /rant
But they have two guys that used to build Windows XP "Gold" images for the 4000+ pc's here but they got bumped from doing it and management brought me in almost two months ago.
Everything is working great, and I've had a good image posted to the technicians (About 10 of them) to deploy on themselves and test the image.
One of the guys that I've replaced to do this job has been assigned to working with me on the specific corporate problems with applications and such that I'm obviously unfamilar with (homegrown apps/processes).
They realized I didn't have a JVM installed on the image which was due to the fact no one could ever give me an answer on what version of it (MS or SUN) I should go with so I left it off until someone whined about it.
Now the "System Engineer" assigned to me tells me John Doe can't connect to some web based Domino server yada yada problem with missing Microsoft JVM. I say "Yeah sure I'll go out and get it stick it on a test box and give it a shot no biggie." His response was "Oh well MS doesn't have that anymore so how about you uninstall IE and we'll use one of our old packaged installs (which were for XPSP1) and then it'll have the proper plug-ins and configs because we don't have any documentation on what is in there but if we don't do that I think we'll have a lot of problems".
I had to contain a laugh cause here I have a working XPSP2 (slipstreamed disc right from MS) and everything works flawless, all we need to do is identify what plugins and JVM's we need and go about things the right way.
I thought I'd just share this with you guys and see if I'm some big headed pompus a** for thinking what I thought when he told me, cause I'm not going to spend 5 mins on uninstalling a perfectly good IE on a corporate gold image to install some outdated packaged IE... /rant