My super ghetto video card cooler

DarkMonkey

Limp Gawd
Long time reader, first time poster... hope you like this.

I was looking at my FX 5200 and noticed that the cooler is little more than a cage holding the fan in place, and decided to upgrade it... I pretty much make my mods up as I go along. I had a bunch of old parts laying around, and took an old p1 low profile heatsink.
ghettocool001.jpg

Upon further examination, I noticed that there were some fins on the back that were preventing the heatsink from actually touching my GPU.
ghettocool002.jpg

I didn't have a grinder, so I thought my project was shot... after about 15 minutes I realized that my house has a very massive grinding stone built into it... my concrete front porch. So I took my heatsink outside and spent about 45 minutes filing it down against the steps, the result...
ghettocool003.jpg

I ran into another problem mounting it, I didn't have any way to bolt it on... I ended up lashing it in place with a guitar string, and it worked quite well. I put a peice of duct tape on the backside where the string went just in case it would short out anything.
ghettocool004.jpg

ghettocool005.jpg

I was originally going to use a 40mm fan I had laying around but then came across an old friend of mine, my old p3
ghettocool006.jpg

Hope it works...
ghettocool007.jpg

A perfect fit :)
Looks rather nice installed too.
ghettocool008.jpg

Now the end result is cooling that's probably about 10x better (When you consider that the old cooler didn't even have fins) but I can't OC it any higher, I'm guessing my voltage isn't enough... any suggestions for a way to flash my card or something to raise my voltage (I can't afford a sautering gun so don't even bother suggesting it) so I can OC better would be greatly appreciated.

I just typed them out wrong. They're fixed now. Andyea' thanks for the uploader, Should come in handy since I'm hosting them from my home cable connection...

That is [H] Ghetto!!!!
I was planning something like that with my FX-5200 as soon as I upgrade!
Nice to see someone beat me to it, looks great!
u_DR_K13

Now the end result is cooling that's probably about 10x better (When you consider that the old cooler didn't even have fins) but I can't OC it any higher, I'm guessing my voltage isn't enough... any suggestions for a way to flash my card or something to raise my voltage (I can't afford a sautering gun so don't even bother suggesting it) so I can OC better would be greatly appreciated.
Jumper cables? Now that would be funny to see

That much work on a 5200...I would just OC it to hell until it died. At least it would die a good death. Maybe run a nice game like Far Cry while it is OCed to kill it. That would be nice...

As far as volt mods go, just draw all over it with a pencil, see what happens.

I would actually do some research on the FX 5500. I think it is a glorified 5200. Maybe you could flash the bios on that thing to a 5500 and OC it some more! I dont know this though, I could be full of crap. But if I had one of those lying around, I would do it!

5500s are just overclocked 5200s, so flashing it to one would be pointless unless the voltage was increased, which I doubt it is considering that my card's running at 316mhz and the fastest 5500 I've seen is 300mhz, but I'll look into it.

Hehe, cool.Necessity is the mother of invention. I remember doing something similar to that on my old, old old Geforce2 MX, that thing ran hot as a sumbitch without a fan.

Back