My SSD broke, literally

WiL11o6

Limp Gawd
I was just surfing the internet when suddenly my Firefox froze, and I couldn't open up task manager to end it. So I thought my computer just froze. I was still able to use the mouse so I just went ahead and reset it by pressing the reset on my case. Upon resetting, it wouldn't boot into Windows 7, said I needed to put in BOOT DISC. I thought maybe some Windows file went corrupt so I'll either repair it or just reformat it. I put in the disc, and it didn't read any hard drive. I only have my 120GB Corsair Force GT, no mechanical drive so this is all I got. I opened up the case and noticed this....

At first, the far left pin was only bent, but it was bent pretty badly. I tried to bend it back but upon trying to plug it back into the SATA cable, it just broke. What the FUCK happened here so I can prevent it from happening again. It looks like it literally exploded because the whole plastic is destroyed too. Did my PSU or something or motherboard do something to pop it? I didn't hear anything, windows just suddenly stopped working. That's all I know.

I once did that to my brand new WD Black drive trying to get the data cable off in tight quarters. Boy was I pissed. To my suprise WD actually let me RMA the thing. Sure you didn't hit it? I can't imagine that happening under normal circumstances. Could have just been a faulty connector on the ssd.

I once did that to my brand new WD Black drive trying to get the data cable off in tight quarters. Boy was I pissed. To my suprise WD actually let me RMA the thing. Sure you didn't hit it? I can't imagine that happening under normal circumstances. Could have just been a faulty connector on the ssd.

Pretty sure. I had it for 3 months now, no problems at all. I didn't kick my case or anything when this happened, and if I did, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have kicked it hard enough for that to happen..

Yeah I don't think you can rma that since you physically damaged it. Drives generally don't come with bent pins.

NO! not this beautiful build! sucks man, doubt theres anything you can do to prevent that in the future. just make sure your cables are on all the way and youre using a reliable power supply. sounds like a freak accident. :/

The sata connector may have been damaged when he received it but not visible. However, when he put his SATA connector on it was the straw thet broke the camel's back.

Hmm...yeah, I really don't know. I've been using it fine for 3 months so I don't think it's the SATA connector, and it wasn't bent before. It was only bent today when this happened.

haha you lost everything :rolleyes:

This happened to me on a 1TB WD Green drive too, one time. :(

I just put a 90GB version of that drive in the boss's laptop, don't scare me :(

From the picture it looks like it was physically damaged. Maybe the plastic around the SATA port was cracked from the factory and heat/case vibration set it loose, but the pins should have stayed in tact.

Interested to see the SATA cable as well.

The SATA cable is intact. It's very weird, I just went through the insides of my case and I don't see missing pieces of plastic that was supposed to be where the SATA connection was.

Corsair FAIL!!!!!

RMA like yesterday dude!

That is not your fault if they used a shitty plastic to manufacture that data connector.

Corsair FAIL!!!!!

RMA like yesterday dude!

That is not your fault if they used a shitty plastic to manufacture that data connector.
Tried to RMA my 1TB Green through NewEgg because it was still under the 30-days. NewEgg sent it back to me rejecting the RMA because of damage "possibly during shipping" even though I went all out on peanuts and bubble wrap for maximumumum security. Box had no dents either.. sooo....................

Probably the cable that was attached to the connectors put too much pressure on it. Cheap connectors.Get an OCZ.

Alright so, I was just tidying up and fixing my cable management, I left my SSD in there and connected it in a half-assed way since the SATA doesn't fit to well. I left it in there just to see how it would look with the SSD with cables and everything. I decided to boot up to make sure it POSTs since I pretty much disconnected everything to tidy up the back, and it BOOTED TO WINDOWS.

What the heck? It's missing one pin and earlier, it wouldn't boot at all. I wasted all day on my laptop not playing games!

Alright so, I was just tidying up and fixing my cable management, I left my SSD in there and connected it in a half-assed way since the SATA doesn't fit to well. I left it in there just to see how it would look with the SSD with cables and everything. I decided to boot up to make sure it POSTs since I pretty much disconnected everything to tidy up the back, and it BOOTED TO WINDOWS.

What the heck? It's missing one pin and earlier, it wouldn't boot at all. I wasted all day on my laptop not playing games!

When I broke mine the plastic from my hard drive stayed in the sata connector. I could still get windows to recognize the hard drive sometimes, but it was really hit or miss. I'd contact corsair about an RMA. I contacted WD when I broke mine and the support person told me to RMA it, I even told them it was all my fault. He said as long as it's under warranty it was fine. I'm hoping corsair would help you out, IMO corsair support > WD support.

Try RMAing the drive. If you cant, try soldering on a new SATA connector.

or be gluttonous and get a 240gb version ;)

Back