MY sony 19" 12 ms

I finally gave up on Amazon.com after a month of waiting for the Sony SDM-HS94P and cancelled my order... then I purchased the monitor for $764-$100 rebate with this weeks Circuit City online deal. I'll have more to say later, perhaps with some pictures. My first impression is that it is awesome... the glossiness makes the screen look like a photograph, but isn't annoying at all. Text on DVI is super sharp, and the few quick games I tried were quite passable. This is my first time owning a DVI monitor so I'm going to have to fool with the settings for a bit. Right now I'm running 9300K, Backlight 30, Contrast 70, Brightness 50, Gamma 2, with my Radeon card set to its color defaults. I've done quite a bit of looking over the last couple of months, and this is definantly the monitor to beat for gaming/general use.

Well my current settings are as follow;

Contrast 100
Backlight 0
Brightness 40
Gamma 3
Color Temp 9300
Sharpness 5

For me, this provides the best blacks, which is my main issue with LCDs. It also has nice color saturation. Lemme know what you guys think.

- D.

towert7 said:
Im sorry, i think you misunderstood me. When i said vertical adjustment, i did'nt mean the actually screen, i mean the monitor itself. Can you raise and lower the monitor. He propped a phonebook under the monitor, so i will assume you can not change the vertical height of the monitor.

As for 9300K being too bright over 6500K ..................... those are color settings.... they adjust the colors... if its too bright, the brightness can be toned down a bit. Oh well, anyway.

~Hope this helps with the confusion.

Unfortunately, none of the monitors in this series have vertical positioning, or swivel or pivot, for that matter. These are not very ergonomically correct monitors. That said, when was the last time you saw a CRT with a vertical height adjustment?

I like the monitor because the panel is all that really matters to me. Of course, if another company had the panel and they offered pivot, swivel and height adjustment (not to mention a more narrow bezel) the story would be quite different.

kamikazichaser said:
Unfortunately, none of the monitors in this series have vertical positioning, or swivel or pivot, for that matter. These are not very ergonomically correct monitors. That said, when was the last time you saw a CRT with a vertical height adjustment?

I like the monitor because the panel is all that really matters to me. Of course, if another company had the panel and they offered pivot, swivel and height adjustment (not to mention a more narrow bezel) the story would be quite different.

Your right, my old CRT did'nt have any vertical adjustment, but i guess i was lucky because my desk had an elevated place for my monitor.

As with monitors that are like the sony, there is always the BenQ FP937s. The main diffrence is it does'nt use the SONY X-brite backlight, so instead of a 400cd/m2 its only 250cm/m2 http://www.benq.com/display/lcd_fp937s_specs.html

i have the samsung 173P LCD monitor and i love oh so much..awesome for lan parties cuz it is very portable :D the only time it has just a little hint of ghosting is when you play games at a resolution at other than the native resolution which is 1280x1024..great color.great looking..allsilver. it can swivel in any direction and it comes with software to adjust the screen instead of using onboard buttons...really thin..only bad thing is that the AC-DC converter aka powerbrick isnt apart of the LCD..kind of nice for me cuz it makes it easier to unlplug and plug the cords back in at the base of the monitor instead of the back..and it has a cool heatsensitive power button so only your finger can turn it on :D

profy said:
I'm sure it's not the only difference.I've seen both of them running and there are differences like night and day.You can't compare them.

"you've SEEN"?

please remember, what you see in stores might not be their "best" setting... if you know what i mean.

Heck, i could take two of the same monitors, change the settings, and one might look good, while the other looks like crap.

But you knew that, of course.

comparing monitors in stores(especially LCD's) is hard only cuz they have a lot of monitors all running through a switch connected to one computer.meaning that the videocard that is in the main computer has to output an image to every computer that is connected to it. the image quality is really bad for LCD's when this is done. when i went shopping for an LCD i asked the employee if he could connect the monitors that i was interested in one at a time so that i could compare the differences..theyll look much better if they are connected to the computer one at a time

Aerobahn said:
I said 710T which was my previous panal. I have never owned a 710N. "Which is why neurofreeze doesn't know the difference."

You're retarded. I wasn't talking smack about you, I was saying you're one of the few objective enough to notice that your 710 didn't display color significantly better than an 18-bit panel, because it was an 18-bit panel.

Also, the 710N and 710T both have the same problem; both were reported as 24-bit/16.7M colors but then later updated because they're both really 18-bit/16.2M dithered panels. They're pretty much the same panel.

Check the updated specifications on Samsung's site here:

710N
http://www.samsung.com/au/products/monitors/tft/710n.asp?page=Specifications
Color Maximum 16.2M

710T
http://www.samsung.com/in/products/...s/tftlcdmonitors/710t.asp?page=Specifications
Color Supported 16.2 Mil.

Way to put a foot in your mouth. ;)

Sorry guys. Apparently the link to my pics didn't work in my previous post. Here we go again..

Here it is:

sony-5.jpg

sony-6.jpg

A pic of CNN's Website

sony-4.jpg

Here are pics from the game Euro 2004. The game works great. No ghosts.

sony-2.jpg

sony-1.jpg

I am gonna try Doom 3 later tonite.. Will post some pics..

Thanks for the pics Jag009, they look great... I can't wait for the Doom pics :)

Question for everyone:

When do you guys think Circuit City (or any other stores) will carry the Black bezel one? Or is Sony going to update the newer model ones with X-Brite Technology (By new models, I meant the ones with "SRS Now" Headphones plug on the side of the LCD)?

I kinda like that look in 19 inches of course :) wih 12 ms response time!

Neurofreeze said:
You're retarded. I wasn't talking smack about you, I was saying you're one of the few objective enough to notice that your 710 didn't display color significantly better than an 18-bit panel, because it was an 18-bit panel.

Also, the 710N and 710T both have the same problem; both were reported as 24-bit/16.7M colors but then later updated because they're both really 18-bit/16.2M dithered panels. They're pretty much the same panel.

Check the updated specifications on Samsung's site here:

710N
http://www.samsung.com/au/products/monitors/tft/710n.asp?page=Specifications
Color Maximum 16.2M

710T
http://www.samsung.com/in/products/...s/tftlcdmonitors/710t.asp?page=Specifications
Color Supported 16.2 Mil.

Way to put a foot in your mouth. ;)

Did you not read the post? Samsung never changed the color specs on thier page for the 710T from 16.7. to 16.2. It was 16.2 the whole time. But it is a 24bit PVA not TN panal.

172x = 16.2
710T = 16.7

you can also tell just by looking at them side by side. The 710T was made mostly for OEM our store bought 4 shipments and a big red sticker on the side says its clearly a PVA. The extra color and blur the 710T displays proves this as well.

go troll somewhere else or atleast think before you post.

aerobahn, what is PVA and TN? are they the ones who actually make the LCD panal itself?

~Thanks

towert7 said:
"you've SEEN"?

please remember, what you see in stores might not be their "best" setting... if you know what i mean.

Heck, i could take two of the same monitors, change the settings, and one might look good, while the other looks like crap.

But you knew that, of course.

True, but are those the same panel? Regardless of who OEMs it, if the BenQ is the same panel then that's news. Anyone know the BenQ fp937 panel?

towert7 said:
aerobahn, what is PVA and TN? are they the ones who actually make the LCD panal itself?

~Thanks

Well, you're part of the way there. PVA (aka MVA) and TN+Film are types of LCDs as is IPS. Each technology has one or more mfg companies. Some companies make more than one type. I know Sharp and LG have been making IPS panels. LG, Au Optronics, Hydis, and Samsung, along with others make TN+Film. Fujitsu makes MVA which is pretty much the same as PVA which is made by Samsung. I'll add that traditionally TN+film have been better for games and movies, but lack the needed color definition for graphics design.

I'm pretty sure most BenQ lcds are made by AU Optronics, but frankly anyone can be subcontracted to make panels.

What you really have to watch out for is a misleading response time, and BenQ has been known to do this. They may quote the rise, but not the fall. Or they quote rise and fall, but not grey to grey. In the end, image quality is all that matters. Do you see ghosting; are the colors good; is the text clear; is the monitor bright; does it have a wide viewing angle? Ony by answering all these questions, and more, can you find the true comparable quality of a monitor. For example, go look up some reviews of the AU Optronics 12ms 19" panel. Then go look up some reviews of the Hydis 20ms 19" panel. The Hydis, with a "worse" response time, exhibits less ghosting and an overall superior picture.

The reason this Sony is important is that it represents the next gen panel. Like the L2335 from HP (made by LG), these panels are coming from new factories that are able to produce larger panels faster, with fewer defects, using higher speed and lower voltage transistors. As these are the first examples of things to come, we're all wanting to know just how good they'll look. For the guys on the leading edge, like Aerobahn, this is, to my knowledge, the ONLY panel with this technology out there SO FAR at 19". Over the next year you'll see massive leaps in LCD tech. You'll also see lowering prices as more and more production capability comes on line. You'll also start seeing massive panels. We've already heard of Apple's 30" panel (LG again). There will be many 30" high res LCDs out there, along with larger panels, in the coming months.

Ok, sorry for the long post, but I felt it was time to dispel some misconceptions about these panels. All that said, I still don't know who makes this Sony panel. Anybody? Bueller?

First of all hi guys this my first post here.

Now, can you use the VGA and DVI at the same time with two different PCs, cause I have two PCs on which I need to use this TFT. Is this possible?

It looks like using this monitor for two computers (one VGA, one DVI) should be no problem... there are two input selecting buttons on the lower right hand of the screen...

Does anyone else have experience with the 19" 16ms monitors as well as this new 12ms sony. I have owned both... and I have no data to back this up... but it seems to me that in games the 16ms might actually be MORE responsive (this is counterintuitive)... I can see more blurring on the 12ms I think... On the other hand... the 16ms monitors displayed an odd diagonal checkerboard pattern when panning certain textured flat surfaces at a moderate rate... I don't see any of this on the new Sony... (I bought the Phillips 190s5cb analog monitor before this... and returned it... now I'm running the new Sony on DVI). Don't get me wrong... games are totally playable on the new Sony and you have to be really picky to notice the blurring... (like a side by side comparrison with a CRT monitor)

All -

Basically from this forum I picked up the HS94P yesterday. Its been good so far. This may be a stupid question but when I use the CD utility configuration tool to set the pitch, gamma, etc...I'm not able to set the pitch or other settings? It says pick it from the LCD menu but I never see it!?!?

Am I doing something wrong? I'm using a Radeon 9800np with latest ati drivers. DVI connection. Should I try analog instead?

jack_r said:
Does anyone else have experience with the 19" 16ms monitors as well as this new 12ms sony. I have owned both... and I have no data to back this up... but it seems to me that in games the 16ms might actually be MORE responsive (this is counterintuitive)... I can see more blurring on the 12ms I think... On the other hand... the 16ms monitors displayed an odd diagonal checkerboard pattern when panning certain textured flat surfaces at a moderate rate... I don't see any of this on the new Sony... (I bought the Phillips 190s5cb analog monitor before this... and returned it... now I'm running the new Sony on DVI). Don't get me wrong... games are totally playable on the new Sony and you have to be really picky to notice the blurring... (like a side by side comparrison with a CRT monitor)

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm Sony is in my list now.

Can I ask you why you returned the Philips cuase it's one of the TFTs I have in my list to choose from.

waterboy787 said:
All -

Basically from this forum I picked up the HS94P yesterday. Its been good so far. This may be a stupid question but when I use the CD utility configuration tool to set the pitch, gamma, etc...I'm not able to set the pitch or other settings? It says pick it from the LCD menu but I never see it!?!?

Am I doing something wrong? I'm using a Radeon 9800np with latest ati drivers. DVI connection. Should I try analog instead?

If you mean pitch as in "dot pitch" or "pixel pitch" then you can't set that. It's a property of the panel and cannot be changed. I believe the "dot pitch" of this panel is .294", I think.

jlee1 said:
Instead of asking "everyone", you could call and ask Circuit City...

Are you trying to be funny or a smartass... :rolleyes:

Circuit City Salespeople in general aren't very knowledgeable, they just wander the aisles and look to give their sales pitches! ( I shouldn't generalize like that, maybe its just my Circuit City)

I asked here because I saw a guy in this thread with a Black Bezel one? (now I can't find it or the pics are down :confused: )

Also, HardForum guys seem to know more and might have an inside scoop than most of the store employees.

O'Doyle said:
Are you trying to be funny or a smartass... :rolleyes:

Circuit City Salespeople in general aren't very knowledgeable, they just wander the aisles and look to give their sales pitches! ( I shouldn't generalize like that, maybe its just my Circuit City)

I asked here because I saw a guy in this thread with a Black Bezel one? (now I can't find it or the pics are down :confused: )

Also, HardForum guys seem to know more and might have an inside scoop than most of the store employees.

It was funny for me as well. I went to the only Circuit City in my area which carried the SDMHS94P. Intially the salesperson said the monitor does not exist. I told him yes it does since I got the info off Circuit City's Website and his location was tagged as "in stock".
He got confused so i told him to check the inventory and look for SDMHS94P. He eventually found it and said he didn't even know about the shipment. Nice guy though, very polite...

jag009 said:
It was funny for me as well. I went to the only Circuit City in my area which carried the SDMHS94P. Intially the salesperson said the monitor does not exist. I told him yes it does since I got the info off Circuit City's Website and his location was tagged as "in stock".
He got confused so i told him to check the inventory and look for SDMHS94P. He eventually found it and said he didn't even know about the shipment. Nice guy though, very polite...

Where are the Doom 3 pics man :D ?

kamikazichaser said:
Ok, sorry for the long post, but I felt it was time to dispel some misconceptions about these panels. All that said, I still don't know who makes this Sony panel. Anybody? Bueller?

Oh, don't worry. I always like a nice long informative post.

Thanks a bunch, that taught me quite a bit.

And your right. On my monitor, i notice diffrent response times with diffrent colors when browsing web pages. Blacks and greys have trouble.

not sure about the pitch question. but whenever I use the Sony CD's configuration tool I can't seem to follow all the steps correctly because the menu doesn't give me the options right!

Anyhow, has anyone had any problems registering this thing? Its so new it doesn't show up for me as a model!

towert7 said:
Oh, don't worry. I always like a nice long informative post.

Thanks a bunch, that taught me quite a bit.

And your right. On my monitor, i notice diffrent response times with diffrent colors when browsing web pages. Blacks and greys have trouble.

if you have problems with blacks and grays lower the backlight setting. :)

jack_r said:

as for being responsive I have noticed the sony to be better than the 16ms lg flatron and the 12ms samsung PVA. Maybe it's just me but when playing doom3/sof2 i see "0" blur no better than my old NEC CRT. But its much better than the 710t models we sell in terms of blur. I noticed that with my ATI x800 XT PE I must put on alternate DVI as well as low DVI frequency coupled with Vsync.

Vsync with this monitor is a must without it, it seems to go wack.

In terms of Color I turned my contrast to the max, use 93k color temps, and loaded the color profile HS94P93k when using the 93k tempeture.

if i use the 65k I load the HS94P65k profile its make the difference when Im using my ARUT` color render program.

For playing Doom III the blacks became an issue. so I lowered the backlight to 50 and even ZERO and raised the brightness and VIOLA the blacks were perfect.

For blacks lower the backlight. :D

O'Doyle said:
Where are the Doom 3 pics man :D ?

Damn.. Keep forgetting.. Tonite for sure.

Update... Been playing games on it for 20 hrs over the weekend... No dead pixels yet.

Question for you guys... How come there is a difference in quality between two brand of LCD monitors even though the panel is manufactured by the same company (i.e. Both Viewsonic and Dell 2001FP 20" LCDs use LG panels)...

waterboy787 said:
not sure about the pitch question. but whenever I use the Sony CD's configuration tool I can't seem to follow all the steps correctly because the menu doesn't give me the options right!

Anyhow, has anyone had any problems registering this thing? Its so new it doesn't show up for me as a model!

Same here.. I am still not able to register b/c the model # has yet to exist on sony's website.

Do any of you use the back cover on the SDMHS94P? Doesn't it affect the ventilation?

Well, I just picked one of these up from the local CC. Simply put.. I'm not impressed. After hearing how many people have gone from a CRT to a LCD, and would never go back, I thought I would take the plunge and see for myself. The response time is great, there's no ghosting in games whatsoever, but this is the first LCD i've owned, so coming from a nice trinitron tube, this just isn't gonna cut it for me. Any suggestions for a good 20-22" CRT that will rival my old trinitron?

steal said:
Well, I just picked one of these up from the local CC. Simply put.. I'm not impressed. After hearing how many people have gone from a CRT to a LCD, and would never go back, I thought I would take the plunge and see for myself. The response time is great, there's no ghosting in games whatsoever, but this is the first LCD i've owned, so coming from a nice trinitron tube, this just isn't gonna cut it for me. Any suggestions for a good 20-22" CRT that will rival my old trinitron?

And weigh 15 lbs? Not a chance. These are the very first panels that even come close to CRTs, but the colors are still lacking especially with regards to a Trinitron. 18bit TN+Film panels can't display all the colors of a CRT, and the colors they do display aren't perfect. That said, the real question is one of balance. Does this panel perform better than a CRT overall? If your answer is no, then there are some really good threads out there for larger CRTs.

jag009 said:
Question for you guys... How come there is a difference in quality between two brand of LCD monitors even though the panel is manufactured by the same company (i.e. Both Viewsonic and Dell 2001FP 20" LCDs use LG panels)...

Well, they could use different panels from the same manuf. LG makes several 20" panels. Also, the interface implementation could be different, as could the software controlling the panel. If you are not using a DVI connection, for example, the panel has to read and convert the signal. If you skimp on that, then it doesn't matter how good the panel is.

Sgt_Strider said:
What panel is this LCD using?

Good question. I've looked high and low for that information. Sony often works with Fujitsu, but may also work with Hydis. Any industry insiders care to share that information?

steal,

If there was no blurring/ghosting whatsoever, what factors are limiting you from keeping it? Maybe you should spend some more time with the LCD, and see how it ends up. Also, adjust the settings on the LCD, that could have a drastic effect on its output.

If you can, hook up your previous CRT next to the LCD, so you can see the difference. The sharpness alone won't allow me to go back to a CRT. And I've tried...

- D.

Back