• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My silent mission

Magic Wok

n00b
Joined
Feb 28, 2007
Messages
36
As you can see, my current pc spec is listed below.

I'm thinking of possibly upgrading a few components, but that really isn't the issue.

I just had wood flooring installed in my room, and my already loud pc is now even louder now the sound bounces off everything!

My pc is a few years old - but my budget is currently being stretched on other things atm. But I am willing to invest some money (and time) into making a near dead silent pc.

I'm going to stick with air-cooling for now, since there is not point installing a water cooling system on these older components that I will eventually replace. I may put in an X2 and a passive 7600GT to go along with this 'mission'.

My current case is a piece of crap, and has a massive side grill that leaks out all the sound, and a PSU that is as noisy as hell. I'm currently looking into PSU's and new quieter system fansmyself. Though the ones I have on atm are fairly quiet. So my agenda for recomendations is this; what case should I get to start the process of making this thing as quiet as possible bearing in mind my pc spec? I don't mind modding it either to make it even quieter if it warrants the work.

Cheers all!
 
Ok. Most important thing is to remove all the prestamped grills on the fans.

Those ugly steel perforated bits that cover like 40% of your fan airflow.

What Zalman CPU cooler? If it's not the Zalman 9500 or 9700, get a scythe ninja for the CPU and turn on the Qfan control on your motherboard. That'll keep your fan speeds pretty low. Qfan, with my sempron (server pc) doesn't even bother to turn the fan on, unless it goes over 50c.

And as for a PSU, if you wanna go cheap and silent, I recommend the 500-600w Utra Xvs modular PSU. Older Ultras suck, but this series came back with a bang. (not literally :p).

From 2 feet away, the PSU measures at about 18dba, under 285w load (more than your system pulls). So, it's very, very quiet. No ticking either.
 
Hi,

It's the CNP S7500-Cu. Supports the 939 X2, which I'm thinking of upgrading to the 4400+. Not sure if it would be worth going up to the 9700, in terms of the noise difference?
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=237&code=005

Is there any really silent case that you would recommend. I looked at the Sonata II, but I'm not overly keen on the styling plus it's getting on a bit in terms of it's age.

Thanks for the PSU recommendation. I don't mind spending a bit of money, as long as it's not crazy. I suppose my overall budget for this upgrade is at most around £400 - CPU/Graphics Card/PSU & Case). Case and PSU will be my first priority, I can live with the spec as it is atm as I only do a spot of light gaming for the moment. I do want some decent quality.
 
Back
Top