My screen keeps flashing at random times

Ayoralyn

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone!

I'm not sure this is in the right section, it could be a monitor issue, but here goes.

I have an issue with my monitor flashing at random times and intervals. It turns black for a second, like if shutting the whole thing off, but the icons on the monitor are still lighted up as it it's on. It's just for a second or two. Sometimes though, it doesn't come back at all, and I have to turn my monitor off and on again to get a picture. Picture returns just as if the monitor had been shut down though. This morning though it happened 6-7 times though, which has never happened before, so I though I'd try and figure out now what the hell it is. I am currently using the newest driver, but driver haven't seemed to make any difference. Could it even be the cable?

I am using:

EVGA GTX 570
Samsung SA950 27"
Windows 7

Thanks in advance.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It could be a backlighting issue, perhaps it's failing? Try hooking it up to another computer. If it happens on another computer, and it's still under warranty I would get it looked at as soon as possible.

It could be a backlighting issue, perhaps it's failing? Try hooking it up to another computer. If it happens on another computer, and it's still under warranty I would get it looked at as soon as possible.

I'm not sure if this has been said before, but it could be a backlighting issue................ perhaps it's failing???

:D

No but seriously, from the way you describe the problem it sounds like the monitor is suffering from backlight failure. On traditional CFL LCDs I would immediately suspect bad capacitors on the inverter power supply, but with a newer LED backlit monitor we don't see that type of failure quite as often.

As the guy above me said (...and said, and said...) try connecting it to another PC or device and see if the behavior continues.

Thanks guys for the replies. Unfortunately, I don't have anything else to hook it up with. My only option would be to contact the place I bought it, and try to get it replaced or fixed. A hazzle though since I'd have to get it there and revert to my older monitor for a while.

Do you have a TDR dialog box in the lower right afterward, or anything in the event viewer?

If not, then your monitor might be suffering the same thing as my one at work. The monitor's psu caps are failing, and it blacks out 2-3 times a day. Eventually it will stay black. We have hundreds of these monitors, so we know they can be fixed with new caps, because we've done it.

Do you have a TDR dialog box in the lower right afterward, or anything in the event viewer?

If not, then your monitor might be suffering the same thing as my one at work. The monitor's psu caps are failing, and it blacks out 2-3 times a day. Eventually it will stay black. We have hundreds of these monitors, so we know they can be fixed with new caps, because we've done it.

No, that's actually what let me to believe it could be the monitor that was failing, because there's no report of any recovery or nothing. I don't really have any experience or knowledge in how to repair a monitor. And I'm thinking it might be quite expensive sending it to someone. I have no warranty left on it. I've had it for 2 years and a couple of months, 2 years was the mark. I've written Samsung to see if they'd help, but the place I bought it said there was no warranty from the producer either, so I'm not holding my breath. But maybe I'll get lucky. Would it be easy to fix myself though if I wanted to give it a shot? Is it moron proof?

If it's actually bad caps, nah you need to know how to pick out the right caps, and remove and solder in new ones.

If it's actually bad caps, nah you need to know how to pick out the right caps, and remove and solder in new ones.

I figured. I think I'll write and find out how much it'll cost me to send it in for repairs. Thanks all for your input :)

Could possibly be HDCP being finicky too. I have a TV that blacks out and flickers on and off like this whenever you use an HDMI to DVI cable for some reason. Going straight HDMI to HDMI or DVI to DVI solved it for me. Might be worth a shot to try a different connection method if you have one available.

Back