My Review of the Viewsonic vx924

Volume

2[H]4U
This will be a work-in-progress review of my first LCD - the Viewsonic vx924 which I have just purchased. I'd like you all to post questions you may have, if any, so I can write a review that most can find useful

IMG0012907.jpg

Gaming
I honestly TRIED to find ghosting but couldn't find anything past what my CRT used to do, and that is, blend the picture and high speeds (which is something the human eye does naturally, so it's inevitable). This was in fast FPS games. World of Warcraft, on the other hand, performs just as perfectly. This monitor really brings out the vivid detail in the environments of the game.

Picture Quality
Nothing too impressive, yet still bareable. In 32-bit color, you can some see color banding. This is most apparent on static game menu screens, such as CS:Source. In-game, I have not noticed this much. World of Warcraft, as stated above, could never look better.

Comfort
The screen is 19" with a native resolution of 1280x1024, meaning that it is a 17" specification spread to a larger viewing area. Since this is a gaming monitor, and not specifically a workstation one, this is a big plus. Bigger screen at no cost of performance.

One thing that is very uncomfortable to me so far is the brightness. Even when turned down quite a bit, it still hurts my eyes, especially while I type up a paper for school. This may be something a new LCD user has to get used to, so it's hard to tell at this point. I'll let you guys know if I burn out my corneas.

Final Thoughts
I bought this monitor with two things in mind - gaming performance and desk space. This monitor excels in both by being the first LCD I've used in which I can't find ghosting, and by having a great design that allows for minimal desk space usage while still having a sturdy base.

Thanks OP.
It's no doubt that you can't find ghosting. Because the response time of VX924 is 3ms gray-to-gray (avg.); 5ms white-black-white (typ).What I care about is the dead pixels.Do you find?
By the way,could you tell me the price that you got it? ;)

It is on Newegg.com for $355 I believe, but I chose to pick it up locally for $420.

Absolutely NO dead pixels. :)

10-hr. Newegg.com sale on this for $349. So, is this better than the Samsung 19" LCD monitors? They list as 8ms response time for the Samsung, but I've been hearing lately that reponse time ratings from the manufacturer.

This Viewsonic has good reviews.

Lachesis said:
Thanks OP.
It's no doubt that you can't find ghosting. Because the response time of VX924 is 3ms gray-to-gray (avg.); 5ms white-black-white (typ).What I care about is the dead pixels.Do you find?
By the way,could you tell me the price that you got it? ;)

Many are still badly misled by the lies the manufacturers pump out for the latency of theid LCDs.

You would be well served to have a read of the THG review of this product.

4-5 ms latency is a lie. Actual measurements are shown here.:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050602/images/vx924_latency.gif

This kind of nonsense occurs because there is no uniformly used standard for qouted latency figures.

You may be happy with some of the newer low latency LCDs, and, generally they give an enjoyable gaming experience, so long as you do not care much for colour fidelity. Universally they are horrible for watching a DVD or video clip, 'cept maybe for cartoons.

In order to get the ultra low latencies, colour accuracy or depth is sacrificed, 6-bit colour instead of 8-bit. The difference? An 8 bit LCD can replicate 16,777,000 colours. A 6-bit LCD produces 262,000 colours. The 6 bit monitors then try to ameliorate the shortcoming be approximating further colours using a software extrapolation or "dithering" technique.

If the specs quote 16.7 million colours, the LCD is likely to be 8-bit while a spec of 16.2 clearly indicates that an LCD is 6 bit with most colours being approximations, some better than others. But that is not a guarantee as some manufacturers will lie like cheap rugs.

I agree that timings are misleading, which is why I bought this monitor based on reviews rather than advertised specs.

I played with my brightness and contrast and switched the color adjust to sRGB and the colors now are beautiful and about as close as I can get to perfect for me.

Glad you like yours as well, I'm loving mine and very happy with my purchase. :D :cool:

Back