My review of the Corsair RM850X

DuronBurgerMan

[H]ard|Gawd
Let's see if Newegg and Amazon allow this to be published... lulz.

Pros:
– It’s a power supply
– It works

Cons:
– It’s a power supply
– It didn’t come with a bevy of hot girls

Other Thoughts:
In my lifetime, I’ve reviewed a lot of tech products. And for some of them you might discuss the performance metrics, the compatibility issues, or even how much LED bling is plastered all over it — because, as everybody knows, the PC market desperately needed to turn into a close facsimile of the ricer community. Next, these folks will put chrome tips on their exhaust ports, and some enterprising wannabe Jedi will come along to deliver a proton torpedo straight up the…

…Well, you get the idea.

So what can I say about this power supply? The Corsair RM850X works properly. It has modular cables, which are black, and that’s good, because we all know what system building was like during the days of IDE cables and power supply rat nests. What idiot thought up sticking random useless cables on every power supply they sold, anyway? And why did they have to come in multicolor, like Picasso smoking weed and throwing up all over the canvas? “What’s that a painting of, O master of incomprehensible art?” “Why, my young apprentice, some time in the distant future, engineers will make ratty looking contraptions called ‘power supplies’ that will look something like multicolored wire vomit.” “O Master… can I have some of that [expletive deleted] weed you’ve been smoking?”

But hey, you buy this power supply, and you don’t have to deal with it. The wiring is so black, it’s speaking Samuel L. Jackson to me. “I’m tired of these [expletive deleted] snakes on this [expletive deleted] plane!” That’s right, you buy yourself an RM850X, and your PSU is Samuel L. Jackson.

Now, let me tell you what you get when you open the box. This power supply is so Samuel L. Jackson, it comes with fancy black bag with drawstring surrounding it. So you’ve got a perfect place to store your bling, and your cash if you ever take a job doing whatever Samuel L. Jackson was doing in Pulp Fiction. Not every power supply comes in a velvet bag, you know. And then you get some cables, which are nice if you actually plan to build a computer with it.

The voltages looked good. But unless you’re buying bargain basement stuff that even the Chinese outsource because it costs too much to make, you’ll get decent voltages. So that’s kind of expected these days. I guess there’s no real cons with the RM850X, except that when you buy a Samuel L. Jackson power supply that comes in a velvet bag, inside a box *that* big, you kind of expect more. Like, if you opened that bag and a bevy of hot girls modeled your brand new PSU, delivered on a silver platter, with angels singing Pulp Fiction in the background like “Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. ”

But Corsair didn’t see fit to supply said hot bikini girls, for which I am mildly disappointed. For a moment, I thought I was going to get a cosmic experience, greater understanding of the universe, and some scantily clad supermodels begging to date me, because I was awesome enough to choose Corsair for my PSU business. And all I got was a working power supply in a fancy velvet bag.

But hey, it’s a good power supply.

Please don't ever do that again. You're trying too hard.

Whatever, man. I enjoy writing up bullsh*t Amazon reviews. Don't like the joke, don't read my posts. As the proprietor is fond of reminding us frequently, there's an ignore button. I promise not to be offended if you block me.

Do you have a gaming PC or something? 850W are too much even for GTX 1080 card. I know its a review. but just saying

Do you have a gaming PC or something? 850W are too much even for GTX 1080 card. I know its a review. but just saying

It's overkill. The entire build I put together is overkill. But, you know... just once I wanted to build a system that had a lot of extra overhead, and robust components. So I overbuilt it. But given how easy and smooth the build went, I'm glad I did. It was such a trouble-free, easy build that I have to wonder why I didn't do this sort of thing before.

Here is the build specs:

Ryzen 1700X @ 3.95GHz
Noctua U12S Cooler
Asus X370 Prime motherboard
32GB G.Skill DDR4 @ 2933 (two DIMMs)
Geforce 1080 Ti Founders Edition
Plextor MP8e 1TB NVMe boot drive
Seagate Barracudea 4TB data drive
Corsair 570x tempered glass case w/some extra fans
Corsair RM850x PSU

I will probably add one more 4TB data drive sooner or later, and maybe another 1TB SSD for things I want to launch fast (I use most of the boot drive for swapping).

Back