my relic finally died on me

Slot 1 Celly 266@448, 192MB RAM

:(

Hard drive blew a controller chip.

At least my Athlon 700s still work

my deepest sympathy for your lose. now it's in cpu heaven where it runs @ 1ghz with no heastsink.

You should continue to drown your sorrows until Intel Sandy Bridge comes out in January and then upgrade. You will not miss the amazing speed of your relic.

My Condolences on your loss.
I know it led a long productive life, long past what it's peers saw.

My question...
What were you doing with it?
Pfsense?
Print server?

I was just thinking about slot mounted processors today. Whatever happened to that?

What were u doing on a old comp? I know that isn't your main comp.

What were you doing with it?
What were u doing on a old comp? I know that isn't your main comp.
debian firewall
had a Quad Port 100BaseTX card in it.

I was just thinking about slot mounted processors today. Whatever happened to that?
they evolved....
Indeed. Cache latency was too high on Slot processors IIRC. Plus the heat was getting harder to remove.

so a harddrive controller took out the system...
Took the drive down. I might be able to fix the box, but at this point, I figure I might as well upgrade to something faster....

THUS I HAVE UPGRADED

BEHOLD
4JUKC.jpg

Dell Optiplex GX1 w/ Pentium 266, 192MB of RAM, 4.3GB HDD
Quad port 100mbps Ethernet Card :D

Slot mounted processors came and went because of L2 cache.

Prior to the pentium pro L2 cache was placed on the motherboard. This worked for slower processors but high performance CPUs needed the cache closer to the CPU.

With the pentium pro Intel put the CPU and L2 cache on a multi die package. This was fast (by the standards of the time) but they couldn't test either the CPU or the cache chip properly until they were assembled in the multi die package and the things had high failure rates. This made them expensive.

So Intel came up with the pentium 2 which had a slower (relative to the speed of the core) cache than the pentium pro but more of it and higher clock speeds making the pentium 2 faster than the pentium pro overall and also cheaper to make. The slower cache allowed intel to put the cache on the board of the slot cartridge rather than on an multi-chip module avoiding the failure rate issues of the multi die package

AMD copied Intel on this and released the original athlon on a slot system that was very similar to (though not compatible with due to different bus protocols) that used for the pentium 2.

However not long afterwards both Intel and AMD moved to putting the cache on the CPU die (Intel starting with the Mendocino celeron , AMD starting with the Thunderbird Athlon). This made the slot/cartridge system redundant. AMD immediately moved to Socket A (According to wikipedi there was a slot A thunderbird but I never heard of it being used in practice) while intel stuck with Slot 1 for a while but gradually moved to Socket 370.

Disclaimer the above post is based on my memory of what I read at the time, there may well be errors in it.

Back