My Receiver only takes RCA..

Trackr

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 10, 2011
Messages
1,786
So, I bought some new Polk Audio Monitor 40 speakers and some decent speaker cable.

Only problem is, my receiver only takes RCA..

So, do I solder some RCA connectors to the speaker cable? I was told you weren't supposed to solder audio cables..

Thanks
 
^he said the receiver takes RCA and his speakers are connected through speaker wires...?

What's your receiver model? Maybe there's a speaker wire out...?
 
Right, but my question is - can I splice a cable that has an RCA connector on the other end to the speaker cable?

That would be easier for me.

as long as you can tell the polarity of the wires I don't see why not?
 
What kind of speakers did you have connected to this receiver before? Did the speakers have their own power source that plugs into a wall outlet?

Typically RCA speaker connectors on a receiver are pre-outs and only pass the sound signal (no power).
Speakers like your Polks, use speaker wire and need power from the receiver.

If your receiver doesn't output power through the RCA outputs, making speaker wire to RCA cables will not help your situation.


Post your receiver model or a picture if you really want help.
 
and your sure you have a receiver and not a pre amp?

If its using RCA for the speakers its probably a HTIB receiver that came with its own speakers.

The speakers for a Logitech Z-680 system attach via RCA plugs.
 
If its using RCA for the speakers its probably a HTIB receiver that came with its own speakers.

The speakers for a Logitech Z-680 system attach via RCA plugs.

ive never seen it outside of computer speakers...ive seen HTIBs with proprietary connectors though...
 
Yeah, bottom line is that if it uses RCA for the speakers, it's probably a terrible unit to begin with, and not likely to do much for your newer speakers.
 
Yeah, bottom line is that if it uses RCA for the speakers, it's probably a terrible unit to begin with, and not likely to do much for your newer speakers.

It's the Creative GigaWatts 500 receiver.

I've had the Monitor 40's connected to them for months with (what I think are) great results.

I just got the 40's on eBay for a great price, so I'm sorry I couldn't afford some 800$ receiver.

Also, I honestly don't buy into that shit. People spend months debating the smallest difference between CPUs, but with audio equipment, all they tell you is "it has better components".

So, I'm going to splice the RCA's, and I doubt it will sound bad.
 
if you mean the gigaworks g500, that amp has a fixed crossover at 150hz, so you wont be utilizing the full range of the polks.

just FYI, but it will work.
 
Why don't you just use the speaker wire that came with the Gigaworks? Upgrading the speaker wire isn't going to help anything. You should really get a better amp for the speakers. Like Procyon12 mentioned, the amp's crossover is 150hz. Subwoofers shouldn't be going higher than 80hz. The crossover is that high because the original speakers are jewel cubes, incapable of going low. Your Polks are capable of going to 47hz, which is pretty low for a bookshelf speaker. Pairing the Polks with the Gigaworks' amp is like putting racing tires on an Accord. If will work, but what's the point?
 
Why don't you just use the speaker wire that came with the Gigaworks? Upgrading the speaker wire isn't going to help anything. You should really get a better amp for the speakers. Like Procyon12 mentioned, the amp's crossover is 150hz. Subwoofers shouldn't be going higher than 80hz. The crossover is that high because the original speakers are jewel cubes, incapable of going low.

This...150Hz is crazy high for a crossover. Subwoofers are usually considered non-directional as they frequencies are so low. 150Hz, on a piano, is the D below middle C...Many guys can sing that note easy, having speakers that cannot do that is...well...
 
the speakers will probably sound better if you got a $20~ lepai t-amp


http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300


although i'd probably spring for a topping or dayton DTA-100A


my own t-amp is a SMSL SA-S3 which is very nice and well built it was $60 shipped from china (included power supply) i got it on ebay. T-amps + polk bookshelf speakers == AWESOME I was using my monitor 30s with the SA-S3 for some time... before I lost my mind and bought a half dozen vintage amps and receivers :)
 
the speakers will probably sound better if you got a $20~ lepai t-amp


http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300


although i'd probably spring for a topping or dayton DTA-100A


my own t-amp is a SMSL SA-S3 which is very nice and well built it was $60 shipped from china (included power supply) i got it on ebay. T-amps + polk bookshelf speakers == AWESOME I was using my monitor 30s with the SA-S3 for some time... before I lost my mind and bought a half dozen vintage amps and receivers :)

This is your solution. Don't bother with that junk "receiver" you have right now. Ain't worth it homey!
 
the speakers will probably sound better if you got a $20~ lepai t-amp


http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300


although i'd probably spring for a topping or dayton DTA-100A


my own t-amp is a SMSL SA-S3 which is very nice and well built it was $60 shipped from china (included power supply) i got it on ebay. T-amps + polk bookshelf speakers == AWESOME I was using my monitor 30s with the SA-S3 for some time... before I lost my mind and bought a half dozen vintage amps and receivers :)

Are you saying that this 20$ amp will be better than my G500 receiver?

How does that make any sense?

I was under the impression that I needed an Onkyo 608..

This is your solution. Don't bother with that junk "receiver" you have right now. Ain't worth it homey!

I don't know what you're talking about. They sound fucking fantastic.
 
I don't want to start a new thread about this, but I am confused..

Why are you guys saying that my G500 receiver is no good if the T-Amp, which is only 20$ but for some reason is better (also, really like clarification on this!), only gives out 20-watts and the G500 gives out 32-watts..?

Now, I think the sound is absolutely fantastic with the G500.. so are you guys saying that if, say, I had the Onkyo 608.. the difference would be that great? <-- Really want feedback on this one.

And then, how come a 20$ amp is better than the G500 and in between it and the Onkyo 608..?? What's with this 150hz stuff...

Basically, if I can spend 20$ and greatly improve the quality of my 40's.. I'd be super happy.
 
hi... so watts aren't everything

the 150hz stuff is part of the reason we are telling you your polks are going to sound better with the lepai $20 amp over you G500 because the satalite speakers that came with the g500 are so poor the crossover is set to a comically high 150hz (anything 150hz or lower is going to the sub) the polks should be able to go as low as 57hz but if you use the g500 nothing under 150hz is going to get sent to them. because the satellites the G500 is designed for have no low end at all apparently.

So blah blah... your polk's could give you a lot more low end response, however that g500 will totally cripple their ability to do so.. the $20 t-amp will not.
 
Your current box apparently doesn't play anything below 150hz, which leaves a fairly massive gap of almost all the mid bass and all of the lower end. The T amp is actually better.
 
Are you saying that this 20$ amp will be better than my G500 receiver?

How does that make any sense?

I was under the impression that I needed an Onkyo 608..



I don't know what you're talking about. They sound fucking fantastic.

Your receiver had been designed to be used only with the speakers that originally came with it. Any other speakers will not sound good at all with that receiver. This is because there is a built-in crossover in that receiver that cannot be readjusted or even turned off at all. With other speakers, you'll have either all muddy lows and no mids or highs or no bass whatsoever and shouty mids and highs. There is absolutely no way at all whatsoever around that because the speakers that you are planning to get will not be matched at all with that receiver. The only way to properly reproduce sound through the good speakers is to completely replace that receiver with a different model.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top