Hey all,
I do some work for a small public access station and recently helped them setup an external raid 5 to start storing digital copies of their CD archive. Once I got everything setup, I basically just pointed iTunes to the new drive and started importing CD's. Here's my hardware setup
PC:
Gateway 835GM (2.8 GHz, Pentium D 820)
3gigs RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate
RAID:
Silicon Image SiL3124 controller
No name 5-bay hotswap 300W enclosure with individual bay fans and two PSU fans
5x500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA drives
So far everything seems to be running pretty smoothly. As expected, writes are a bit slower than with a single drive, but I have noticed some improved read times which has been especially helpful when queueing up songs.
Are there any suggestions or tips anyone can provide to help me keep things running smoothly? Do you all think this is a decent setup for what I'm doing? Or should I just go shoot myself... lol?
I do some work for a small public access station and recently helped them setup an external raid 5 to start storing digital copies of their CD archive. Once I got everything setup, I basically just pointed iTunes to the new drive and started importing CD's. Here's my hardware setup
PC:
Gateway 835GM (2.8 GHz, Pentium D 820)
3gigs RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate
RAID:
Silicon Image SiL3124 controller
No name 5-bay hotswap 300W enclosure with individual bay fans and two PSU fans
5x500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA drives
So far everything seems to be running pretty smoothly. As expected, writes are a bit slower than with a single drive, but I have noticed some improved read times which has been especially helpful when queueing up songs.
Are there any suggestions or tips anyone can provide to help me keep things running smoothly? Do you all think this is a decent setup for what I'm doing? Or should I just go shoot myself... lol?